Marine Affinity - archetype?

10 hours ago, Photovolt said:

I'm thinking more about sea creatures that can move on land, such as Lungfish (which can move awkwardly), Crocodiles, Snakes, Amphibians (Hippopotamus), Epaulette Shark, Giant Crabs and "Elden Ring Crayfish," Penguins -- to name a few animals that are sea-based but can also live and move (with varying degrees of efficacy) on land to make sense of them being spawned and following you around on land.

Animating a minion set like that would most likely be a nightmare, but a person can dream, right?

Clownfish? 😉

19 hours ago, Techwright said:

I know it is very early into the release, but is one archetype standing out as being more simpatico to Marine Affinity than the others?

Thats the thing: it IS super early, as in, literally 24 hrs ago early. It’ll be about a week as usually people are working during this time so can’t really delve into the set, what it being an early week release, until probably the weekend at the latest.

But honestly? This isn’t ‘one of those games’ so you can risk testing it out on beta and finding your best pairing with no cost to you other than time. 

• Microphone 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 hours ago, Seed22 said:

you can risk testing it out find your best pairing with no cost to you other than time. 

fixt

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I first played a Fire/Marine/Ice Corruptor and was actually quite happy with the performance. However the play with a Mastermind was a lot more relexed. Tried a few different primary set and the set goes well with a few of them.

Picked the Leviathan Mastery for all of them, no Water Spout for the archetype but who can't say no to circling sharks, surf & turf into the enemys and let your minions do short work with the enemies with the relaxing sound of the sea. Overall not a bad set, the animation/sfx are a highlight. 

I think it's a great set for controllers. Currently running a Darkness Control / Marine Affinity and it's been a pretty smooth ride. I like set has endurance management built right in and it's good right out of the box.  I can see the potential for Masterminds as well especially the Shifting Tides damage buff. Haven't tried it yet, but might make a Sea Witch themed villain with Necro/Marine to try it out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2024 at 7:42 PM, pawstruck said:

I'm just trying to figure out how I summon these fish through the floor of this high-rise office building.

*Summons decorative aquarium from the CEO's office.*

19 hours ago, Photovolt said:

Amphibians (Hippopotamus),

... not an amphibian, it's a mammal.

Also,

• Like 1

On the test server, I found MM primaries of Demons, Ninja's, Mercs and Necro to ALL work extremely well with Marine Affinity.  Thematically also.  Seal Team Six themes are gonna be everywhere.  Calypso themed for Demons.  Necro and Ninja's easy enough to pull off any number of "Pirates of the Caribbean" themed characters.  Heck, I saw some Seaworld-trainder-inspired players already that were really well thought out for backstories.

I love it when we get new powersets not just for finding out "what meshes well with them" but all the new character themes that people dream up!

My vote is ALWAYS to go MM.  I already have 15 new alts parked with a variety of MM powersets and names.   I'm sure I'll delete half of them but that's part of the fun!

• Like 1

In regards to the OP, from the limited amounts I was able to test the set in beta, I like Marine on controllers and MM's best. Necro/Marine is some pretty ridiculous fun, imo, and Dark on a controller was feeling pretty good as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Just theory crafting, was wondering if Marine/Rad defender would be good since Rad gives the fastest Light attack to trigger Shifting Tides.  
But I can see Masterminds performing better since you get multiple hits from powers on targets thanks to your Pets.   
I could see a Thugs/Marine being pretty good when you have Gang Warfare up. (Also since it's one of the Power sets they haven't modified it's easier to skip powers in Thugs)   Necro when you have a bunch of spirits could be interesting..  
Ninjas could also be good with Snap shot giving you plenty of procs and the Ninjas themselves being pretty fast on the attack recharges.  Though I think Thugs is faster. 

Of course this is just on the theory of needing to keep Shifting Tides stacks high.  Not everything else.  That and I'm tired..

• 2 weeks later
On 7/23/2024 at 8:42 PM, pawstruck said:

I'm just trying to figure out how I summon these fish through the floor of this high-rise office building.

They're old buildings.  Look for the pneumatic tubes.

On 8/2/2024 at 11:57 PM, Rockhiem said:

Beast/Marine is tearing things up. Shifting tides stacks to 15+ for most fights, and all pets are inside the tide pool. The buffs and de-buffs just all stack silly high.

Call me dumb, but I don't see how. Beasts are ridiculously tough for me to keep in one area because they're all melee. 

The Wisdom of Janet for masterminds:

image.jpeg.ce7173b077c1996aa945e596edd82cbc.jpeg

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Despite my initial misgivings I've been so impressed by Marine from teammates while playing that I think I may have to give the set a try myself.  Right now trying to decide between an Earth/Marine Controller, or a Demons/Marine Mastermind.  Both have their appeal points (figure the former would probably do better with a team, the latter being more solo-friendly).

I struggle with each archetype "not being perfect"    I am seriously OCD in games

Blasters.  Say Ranged.  Are designed as Blappers.  

Corruptors.  "As a corruptor, you might strike your foes down with blasts of fire, entomb them in ice, infect them with radiation, or curse them with pure darkness. As your foes are weakened, your scourge ability kicks in, increasing your damage to an enemy as their hit points drop"   NOoooooooo   Mostly buffers and Healers. Most heals buffs affecting anyone but yourself.  Villain?  From what Universe, lollipop love land?  

Now, having said that I look at Marine on a Corruptor and I have to smile.  This is a good debuff set.  And the buffing it does is almost all also for the Villain Corr  The Cone heal is a debuff.  So, not too shabby.  I can see a Villain using each of those powers and not being nitpicked by a morality GM for being helpful and heroic all the time.  Most Corr secondaries fail that test laughably fast.  

Water is not my thing, but this looks like a solid addition for Corr, which, as we know, is a very fine Archetype.

On 7/24/2024 at 1:31 PM, Camelbobsled said:

Merc/Marine, the reverse Aquaman, a fish that controls humans to do his bidding. The Country Fillet is born.

Damn, this is good.

Best I got was bots/marine: A robotic sea rover team, one of which had an AI malfunction and uncovered a magical artifact granting it sentience and oceanic powers.

Name: Deep C (other robots are other letters)

Costume is robotic with some sand/coral/water compliments.

9 hours ago, pawstruck said:

Call me dumb, but I don't see how. Beasts are ridiculously tough for me to keep in one area because they're all melee. 

I have an ongoing issue doing MSRs with my Necro/Marine MM; despite having all my henchmen on Defensive/Follow, I'll regularly see one of them drop to half HP, and when I click on them in the pet window, I'll see them halfway up the bowl chasing some random Rikti while I'm down in the middle of the healspam passing out buffs, and they're just outside the range of my heal. Doing missions, even though the zombie horde rushes forward into melee while the Grave Knights and Lich hang back, I can usually position myself where the buffs hit everyone, though.

• 1 month later
On 7/24/2024 at 4:06 PM, Seed22 said:

Thats the thing: it IS super early, as in, literally 24 hrs ago early. It’ll be about a week as usually people are working during this time so can’t really delve into the set, what it being an early week release, until probably the weekend at the latest.

Okay, so how about now?

Personally, from what I've found is that Marine really shines for those that are going to be in Melee range. 

Whitecap, Tidal Pool, and shifting tides really shine when in Melee range.

I've gotten a Marine/Electric/electric Mastery defender to 50 and full incarnates.  I mainly solo with the occasional Task Force and it is a very fun and effective Offender/Sapper.