Farewell, Everlasting!

Veracor

I said it in-game, but I'll say it here too - thank you for all your time and dedication. I remember being very anxious about doing a Hamidon Raid for the first time when I dragged On Lock (my mind/psi dom) to the Hive to give it a go. My experience with raids in others games were just stressful experiences. You were really calm, you explained how things worked in a straight forward manner, and I think that helped ease a lot of the stress I had going into the experience. Now, I could almost do these in my sleep. I've brought On Lock, Stormcaller (like...4 or 5 different versions of her), and after a long break, I started to bring Shiny Glass along to these. It was fun getting to raid with you and others, and looking forward to coming along on raids led by the folks filling your time slot. But mostly, I hope that whatever your Next Big Thing is, I hope that it is fun and awesome!

• Banjo 1

Thanks for everything you've done, Veracor! I wish you all the best.

Your retirement is nagging at me a bit more than I expected. After all, I only just returned to CoX back in January after the HC licensing announcement. I'm pretty sure you and I teamed on live. But I can't remember and I can't find you in any of my old screenshots. So why is this bothering me so much? After thinking on it for a bit, perhaps you'll indulge my ramblings.

First, there's the obvious: Years of leading daily raids, master runs, trials, badge attempts, et al shows just how selfless you've been. Relatively few people do that in real life, let alone in a virtual space where you get even less feedback for your actions.

Next, City of Heroes was ripped from our hands. That has tended to increase the nostalgia for the game. It didn't die a natural death. We were all still enjoying our little heroes and villains with whatever crazy story we came up with for them when the rug was pulled out from underneath us. Those feelings come back to the surface when a prominent and well-loved member of the community leaves. We weren't finished with you yet!

We also play a 20-year-old game that, even in its heyday, was a niche within a niche within another niche. That's no accident. Most of us were weird kids that were into weird hobbies that we didn't give up when we became weird adults. Despite the dramatic increase in the popularity of videogames, our little pocket dimension has become an even smaller niche. A highly driven person who takes on leadership roles is someone we can point to and tell ourselves, "See!? I'm not that weird! Other people get why this is cool too!".

I'm probably being too maudlin. But I guess it really just comes down to this: I'm gonna miss ya. If you see me in some other virtual universe someday, don't be a stranger.

Or, as my current, primary alternate personality would put it:

Vaya con Dios, brohim! Catch ya on the next wave!

• Banjo 1

---

Fishhead Stu - surfin' dude

Blue Feather - mentally unstable tank

Wild Jewel - club girl who sings to plants

Cal here, I remember popping in for the first time in Homecoming, seeing you lead big raids, and getting inspired to run content on my own.

Your dedication to this game is legendary. Everlasting will miss you chief.

• Banjo 1

I have enjoyed each and every one of the probably 20 (or fewer) instances which I had the luck to be in. Thank you for helping make Homecoming awesome. I wish you nothing but fun and joy in whatever pursuits you take.

• Banjo 1

Instanced MSRs on Everlasting, 3:30pm Eastern on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Come to the RWZ and look for Barky McBarker for who to /T.

Hit, Heal, Buff, or Debuff. MSRs are not farms, there is no sitting.

Allow me to add my heartfelt "thank you" to the list here.  Your leadership was second to none, and it was a privilege to assist in my small way.

I wish you much success and joy in your upcoming adventures.  You will be missed.

Be well.

• Banjo 1

On 8/8/2024 at 4:34 PM, Veracor said:

(Obligatory cringey Warhammer 40k copypasta since it'll probably be a while before the next person reaches this number):

I claim credit for this!  I was at the raid when you hit 40,000 and made a 40K reference when it happened.  😛

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Speaking as a player of CoH for many years, I've encountered lots of "celebrities" in my time, not just in this game but in MMOs in general. At first, I did not know how to approach you but I thought I'd treat you like any other player in the game - with respect and kindness. You responded by allowing me to share in your raids and to just play the game. You were never angry with my inept self even when I died in multiple Mo runs. 

Thank you for running those raids everyday. I loved fighting beside you in those Itrials. But I know that It's very hard to run with a schedule like that. Whenever you get the itch to come back, you'll always be welcome.  Seeya around V. 

• Banjo 1
  • Microphone 1

Kallisti Vera will be heartbroken that her 'God' has left the building!!!

I'm also gutted that I missed your last raid, Phe did warn me back in July but then RL stuff happened and it slipped my mind until today and she told me of this post.

Thanks for everything you've done, its been a pleasure joining your raids, with the calm way you manage all the silliness that goes on around. You will be missed and there should now be a plaque in the Hive and a History badge 😄

40k... that is jaw-dropping!

Take care Old Dragon, may your wings never become ragged!

• Banjo 1

The Kallistiverse COH site:

https://kallistiverse.mardona.com/coh/

What @Bionic_Flea said.  @Veracor, you lead a lot of the Everlasting TFs content that got my main Badging Toon to having all the Mastery Badges.

I'm sad to see you not just step back but stop.  I don't always agree with a lot of the changes done by Homecoming, but I've seen a teeny bit of what's behind the current.  It's hard and there's never a perfect change.  I'll still not like some of them.  But I'll be always glad I was there to help make sure some of them weren't as bad as they could be.

Hope you eventually come back to Everlasting, dude.

• Banjo 1