Incnetive for folks to start TFs or SFs

1 hour ago, DrRocket said:

On the nose, and the reason for this thread! How we change the proportion of folks leading to just riding and letting someone else do all the work

So a reward for actually forming one...Having star for TF at formation gives you something?

The issue I see with this, is someone may form it, but then not want to pass the star to someone higher level.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

14 hours ago, Rudra said:

No you don't. When I'm soloing Crimson's arc with a character that can't take GMs and the titan spawns, I sit inside the tram terminal. If it looks like it isn't coming, I go find it and lead it to the terminal. Or any closer point with drones. And it goes away.

14 hours ago, JKCarrier said:

I'll remember that for next time. Thanks!

ack. such a waste of XP and a good fight!

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, BrandX said:

So a reward for actually forming one...Having star for TF at formation gives you something?

Oh, even more of a reason for a 50 to ask for the star once someone else has done all the recruiting.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

14 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:
14 hours ago, Rudra said:

No you don't. When I'm soloing Crimson's arc with a character that can't take GMs and the titan spawns, I sit inside the tram terminal. If it looks like it isn't coming, I go find it and lead it to the terminal. Or any closer point with drones. And it goes away.

14 hours ago, JKCarrier said:

I'll remember that for next time. Thanks!

ack. such a waste of XP and a good fight!

Not if you're solo, on a character that doesn't even stand a snowball's chance, and only have small windows of time in which to play the game.

28 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Not if you're solo, on a character that doesn't even stand a snowball's chance, and only have small windows of time in which to play the game.

Always can yell out for help.

When I hear (well, see the text in chat) that one of them is spawning/has spawned I head that way as fast as I can.

You don't even have to stay to fight them.

14 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Always can yell out for help.

When I hear (well, see the text in chat) that one of them is spawning/has spawned I head that way as fast as I can.

You don't even have to stay to fight them.

*shrug* Difference of opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer (Buggy Bummer?), but I don't think you can easily incentivize people to lead TFs/SFs without introducing some kind of exploit.  Adding a badge or accolade seems to work at getting enough people to run certain content, but not necessarily lead it.  So here are some other suggestions (some already stated by others above).

• Don't bother waiting to get a team of 8.  You can solo any TF at low settings (+0/x1) with some temp powers (Envenomed Daggers, Shivans, Heavies, Signature Summons, Back Up Radio and any other pet summons you may have acquired).  If you have those powers in your pocket, you can easily go with any other amount of folks.
  • Tell folks you are starting in the next X amount of time; the shorter the better, within reason.  It always happens that I get a few tells when I first announce and then a bunch more when I say "last call."  People don't like to sit around waiting so they will wait to the last second to join or wait to see if a better offer comes along.
  • When recruiting tell people the minimum requirements (level, alignment, etc.), estimated time, and reward.  And you have to be willing to give some instruction.  Some players have never played villain side or done any of the content there.  You can set up Pop-up templates to answer FAQs if that helps.
  • Join an SG, Discord, or popular chat channel.  You'd be surprised at how much activity never even makes it to LFG channel.  It helps to be part of a group.
  • Transfer to Excelsior or Everlasting if you aren't already.  Setting up villain stuff is always harder than equivalent hero stuff.  But it's especially hard on a small server.  Transferring is easy, repeatable, and free.

Finally, being sick sucks!  I hope you heal well, painlessly, and completely and that you get all the badges you want!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I usually stand around waiting for someone else to form TFs

Once I get bored, I form my own.

The last thing I worry about is having 8 - once I get tired of forming/waiting, we go.

Ive run all kinds of TFs with less than 8, and they were just as much fun.

17 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Don't you get Reward Merits as a reward for completing a TF/SF?

I get it, I get the rewards for completing the TF/SF, the exact same reward as if I had participated in a TF/SF someone else did all the work for....

• Thumbs Down 2

truthfully, i think the reward for forming a TF/SF is that they can do the TF/SF when they want, how they want.

i often see people, myself included, waiting around for someone to form a specific TF. they are not waiting for enough people, they are waiting for that one person to take charge. they will sit around for ages, hovering around penny yin or waiting in cimerora for an ITF, for example. i've seen people call out on LFG for hours, waiting for that one brave person. all the while it is there and all it takes is the gumption to form a team and start it, at minimum.

the reward for being the leader is that they chose when and how, it's their team and their rules. that's their benefit and their reward.

• Thumbs Up 1

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

1 hour ago, shortguy on indom said:
  • REWARD SHOULD BE SOMETHING FUN FOR LEADING:   HOW ABOUT A "24 HOUR" TEMP POWER OF SOME KIND OR A TEMP COSTUME PIECE LIKE A "GENERALS"  LAPEL STARS...A TEMP AURA... WHO KNOWS???

What temp power would be given that players would think is a good reason to lead a TF/SF? What is to stop players from simply soloing said TFs/SFs since so many can be so easily even without temp powers? Why should a costume piece be locked behind leading a TF, especially for only a limited time of use?

(Edit: And I'm sorry, but what TFs are needed to get the Sheer Willpower power? It says it just needs the Protector of Paragon City badge, and I'm not seeing any TFs required for that.)

Edited by Rudra

Also, isn't there a badge that you earn by being a team leader?

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

6 of them.

Oh shit, really? Wow. It's almost like I was right when I said that there's already systems in place in the game to reward people for leading TFs/SFs.

It's ok though. I don't expect anyone to ever admit that I was right about this, or anything else for that matter. I understand that that's not how the internet works.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

6 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

It's almost like I was right when I said that there's already systems in place in the game to reward people for leading TFs/SFs.

It's ok though. I don't expect anyone to ever admit that I was right about this, or anything else for that matter.

You were right about systems being in place, but, by this post, WRONG about anyone saying you were right.  So . . . yeah . . . you were wrong about being right . . . or are you right about being wrong?

• Thumbs Down 1

I could see giving the leader a pop up window at the end of the TF/SF that offers them some sort of prize. Maybe have it give them a selection of rare salvage? Rare salvage might be just nice enough to get people interested in forming, but not so nice that people will fight over it?

1 hour ago, Communistpenguin said:

I could see giving the leader a pop up window at the end of the TF/SF that offers them some sort of prize. Maybe have it give them a selection of rare salvage? Rare salvage might be just nice enough to get people interested in forming, but not so nice that people will fight over it?

So then you just solo the easier TFs/SFs over and over. No need to fight over who leads. And you get rare salvage guaranteed every run.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

So then you just solo the easier TFs/SFs over and over. No need to fight over who leads. And you get rare salvage guaranteed every run.

I mean.... sure? Rare salvage isn't THAT rare. You will probably make more infl in the shorter TF than the salvage is worth.

12 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

I mean.... sure? Rare salvage isn't THAT rare. You will probably make more infl in the shorter TF than the salvage is worth.

You're looking at it as if it were an either/or, and it isn't. You're not going to either get the regular inf' from doing the TF/SF or the rare salvage, you're going to get both. (Edit: And you still retain the normal chance for rare salvage to drop from mobs.)

Edited by Rudra

57 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You're looking at it as if it were an either/or, and it isn't. You're not going to either get the regular inf' from doing the TF/SF or the rare salvage, you're going to get both. (Edit: And you still retain the normal chance for rare salvage to drop from mobs.)

Still seems like a poor way to farm if you are looking to farm.

6 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

Still seems like a poor way to farm if you are looking to farm.

Go to AE if you want to farm. Most effective means I am aware of. All I am saying is that it is exploitable. Anyone can blitz a lower level TF/SF solo barring any defeat all missions, get the normal TF/SF reward of merits, the xp and inf' from mobs and mission completion rewards; recipe, enhancement, and salvage drops from the mobs, and also be guaranteed their choice of rare salvage at the end? I already solo TFs. And if I can't solo it? I typically just need 1 friend to be on to duo it. So as the team leader for my solo TF runs, I get a guaranteed rare salvage of my choice at the end on top of the regular rewards I get from doing the TF? Either I'm going to be doing better on rewards or I and others doing the same thing are going to kill the value of those rare drops.

Like one of my in game friends told me when we discussed this while teaming, the OP is a good idea for like Issue 8 of the game. Not for Issue 28 of the game.

On 9/7/2024 at 4:55 PM, Rudra said:

What temp power would be given that players would think is a good reason to lead a TF/SF? What is to stop players from simply soloing said TFs/SFs since so many can be so easily even without temp powers? Why should a costume piece be locked behind leading a TF, especially for only a limited time of use?

• MY POST THAT YOU WERE REPLYING TO:  
On 9/7/2024 at 3:47 PM, shortguy on indom said:

REWARD SHOULD BE SOMETHING FUN FOR LEADING:   HOW ABOUT A "24 HOUR" TEMP POWER OF SOME KIND OR A TEMP COSTUME PIECE LIKE A "GENERALS"  LAPEL STARS...A TEMP AURA... WHO KNOWS???

• A "GOOD REASON TO LEAD A TF/SF" IS THAT THEY ARE FUN... NOT LEAD JUST TO GET A "TEMP POWER."
  • gave some examples of what i thought would be "fun" already.
  • ANYONE CAN ALREADY TRY TO SOLO ANYTHING THEY WANT, NOT THE POINT OF THE OP.
  • ISSUE AT HAND FOR ME ANYWAY IS JUST ABOUT HAVING "FUN."
  • MY SUGGESTION "TO SOMEHOW REWARD GREAT AE ARC CONTENT MAKERS" ENDED SIMILARLY...
  • IMHO IS OK TO REWARD THE COMMUNITY WHO CREATES OR LEADS IN SOME WAY.
  • I'M AN IDIOT, SO MOVING ON. 

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

I'm not against giving a temp power or rare salvage to SF/TF leaders.  But that still won't get people who are averse to running them to run them.  I'm a terrible multi-tasker and would make a bad team lead.  Nothing will change this.  Believe me when I tell you, you would not WANT me to lead a TF.  The only time I form a team is when I run farms for door-sitters.  I do occasionally run radio/paper missions, because you don't really need an specific instructions/tactics for those.  You just let everybody do whatever and it's usually fine.  And there's no TF specific drop/reward associated with them that others lose if it goes wrong.

If you want to join a particular TF, ask someone to form it then wait for them to do so.  Maybe someone will,  Maybe they won't.  If they don't, you'll have to bite the bullet and run it yourself.  That's just the way it is.

• Thumbs Up 2