Clockwork Paladin - Did not get badge, why?

MikeSol

the Knight Errant badge is for stopping the paladin from being built--once he is built  he is just a GM to take down for merits

look for "unusual clockwork activity detected in Kings row" in chat--its in purple text-- like when all other GM spawn in zones

go to Kings Row and find the clockwork construction site--use $loc to announce the position--forma team and badaboom

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, lemming said:

No badge for defeating him.   The badge is for stopping him from spawning.  (Last I checked, this one has changed a few times)

Remind me, or quite possibly correct me, please. 

I'd been told by someone in the past that there were two ways a Paladin could appear:  the construction method, and another where he just appears, much like Babbage in Boomtown.  It was this second method, I'd thought, that he qualified for some badge.  Perhaps that was bad intel.  I never thought about it much after that, and never went looking for a badge. 

Assuming it is only by construction, and there's no badge, what is the motivation for hunting it down to its out-of-the-way, favorite bump of dirt?  I could see the need to take it out if continually ran around KR attacking and interfering with players, but not so much in a static position in a corner none need frequent.

2 hours ago, MikeSol said:

Oh, ok. Thank you for the replies. When I got into the group someone actually said, "we better hurry if you guys want the badge" or something similar to that. Now I understand.

When the event was bugged it was changed for a while and Paladin did grant the badge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:02 AM, Techwright said:

Remind me, or quite possibly correct me, please. 

I'd been told by someone in the past that there were two ways a Paladin could appear:  the construction method, and another where he just appears, much like Babbage in Boomtown.  It was this second method, I'd thought, that he qualified for some badge.  Perhaps that was bad intel.  I never thought about it much after that, and never went looking for a badge. 

Assuming it is only by construction, and there's no badge, what is the motivation for hunting it down to its out-of-the-way, favorite bump of dirt?  I could see the need to take it out if continually ran around KR attacking and interfering with players, but not so much in a static position in a corner none need frequent.

He appears if the assembly doesn't get stopped.    He's worth Aether and merits which is enough for many.    I think he gets put into the various GM hunt team rotations.

Edited by lemming
Said the opposite of what I wanted to
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Techwright said:

Assuming it is only by construction, and there's no badge, what is the motivation for hunting it down to its out-of-the-way, favorite bump of dirt?

It only appears if its construction is allowed to complete. Aside from the merits and other currency rewards, another motivation to defeat it is to reset the event timer. There are three construction sites which can each independently spawn a Paladin. Meaning up to three can be found at its ultimate destination in the north of Kings Row. The construction event won't begin again until the Paladin which previously spawned from it is defeated.

The HC Wiki page for the Paladin construction at this link has more details. That page was thoroughly updated when the HC team re-activated the construction event.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lemming said:

He appears if the assembly doesn't happen.   ...    I think he gets put into the various GM hunt team rotations.

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

It only appears if its construction is allowed to complete.

Hmm...okay, we've apparently two opposing viewpoints on the question.  😕 

another motivation to defeat it is to reset the event timer.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks for pointing that out. 👍

There are three construction sites which can each independently spawn a Paladin. Meaning up to three can be found at its ultimate destination in the north of Kings Row. The construction event won't begin again until the Paladin which previously spawned from it is defeated.

So three Paladins, potentially, but only one event at a time?   I'm just pondering the intriguing idea (to me at least) of an event designated something like "massive" to alert players that it is different and all three sites going through spawning simultaneously, or partially overlapping in time.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

So three Paladins, potentially, but only one event at a time? 

The three construction events are independent. All three could be active at the same time if the timers line up. I've only ever seen that happen on Beta, and I think that was because Kings Row had gone idle due to inactivity for a long enough time that the events were ready to spawn, but couldn't because the map was idle. When I entered Kings Row and the map went active, all three timers then popped and the events started. I've observed that behavior (on Beta) multiple times if memory serves. On live I doubt KR ever goes idle so the events spawn when their timers are up, and the chances of two, much less three, lining up are vanishingly slim.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarification
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The three construction events are independent. All three could be active at the same time if the timers line up. I've only ever seen that happen on Beta, and I think that was because Kings Row had gone idle due to inactivity for a long enough time that the events were ready to spawn, but couldn't because the map was idle. When I entered Kings Row and the map went active, all three timers then popped and the events started. I've observed that behavior (on Beta) multiple times if memory serves. On live I doubt KR ever goes idle so the events spawn when their timers are up, and the chances of two, much less three, lining up are vanishingly slim.

Yesterday on Indom the regular GM hunt in the early evening found 2 in KR. So it does happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Paladin construction events will begin at a site if all the associate mobiles that spawned during the previous construction event (originating at that site)  and the previous Paladin are defeated.

If the level-less spawns are not defeated, then that event site will not retrigger. These spawns will move across the zone, based on perception and aggro. They tend to want to follow their Paladin or players who have aggroed them.

There is also a timer associated with the construction sites, just as with other blue-side giant monsters. If you see multiple Paladin Constructions occuring within close proximity, it is very likely due to a previous player cleaning up multiple KR spawns (at approximately the same time) because other players hadn't cleared them up after the last time a Paladin was launched.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

Yesterday on Indom the regular GM hunt in the early evening found 2 in KR. So it does happen. 

Two active construction events, or two Paladins? The latter is probably quite common, especially on a lower population server. The former, while certainly possible, is likely far less common.

And as tidge pointed out, it is important to defeat Paladin's level-less entourage as well. I always forget about them when recalling the event mechanics.

5 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Two active construction events, or two Paladins? The latter is probably quite common, especially on a lower population server. The former, while certainly possible, is likely far less common.

And as tidge pointed out, it is important to defeat Paladin's level-less entourage as well. I always forget about them when recalling the event mechanics.

Two Paladins. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 12:03 PM, AboveTheChemist said:

It would be interesting (to me at least) if the second Paladin-building event triggered the moment the first Paladin finished, and the third triggered as soon as the second finished.   So while one Paladin is traveling north, another is being constructed.  Eventually the players should take notice, but it makes a kind of lore sense that The Clockwork King's focus would shift to the next construction where fresh resources could be found.  Were three Paladins to cooperate in close proximity it might prove an interesting challenge, especially with that "reel them in, then strike" power it has.

21 hours ago, Techwright said:

It would be interesting (to me at least) if the second Paladin-building event triggered the moment the first Paladin finished, and the third triggered as soon as the second finished.   So while one Paladin is traveling north, another is being constructed.

This would pretty much make the KR Paladin event "Scrapyard 2.0", so I say "no thank you".

21 hours ago, Techwright said:

Were three Paladins to cooperate in close proximity it might prove an interesting challenge, especially with that "reel them in, then strike" power it has.

Multiple Paladins aren't IMO that much of a challenge. The burst power isn't used by a Paladin until it get below 50% health, and then every 90 seconds while it is below 50%. The tactics for dealing with a single Paladin translate just fine to dealing with multiples.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

This would pretty much make the KR Paladin event "Scrapyard 2.0", so I say "no thank you".

Can you explain this more?

(Current seems so hard to catch the Paladin assembly events.  Though I've not gone to KR to be sure there's no Paladins wandering around and hanging out there wait for the event.)

27 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Can you explain this more?

The suggestion was:

On 9/21/2024 at 1:48 PM, Techwright said:

It would be interesting (to me at least) if the second Paladin-building event triggered the moment the first Paladin finished, and the third triggered as soon as the second finished.   So while one Paladin is traveling north, another is being constructed. 

Ghost of Scrapyard is essentially "summonable on demand" (assuming it is not already in the zone). Eventually players decided that the new Monstrous Aethers were desirable enough (or they learned that 6 merits accompanies each defeat of Scrapyard) such that there were hours-and-hours of constant summoning and fighting of Scrapyard. This lasted... two weeks?... before the devs intervened.

A never-ending stream of Paladins being constructed and defeated would be pretty much the same thing, minus the need of the players to go through the trouble of summoning a Paladin. Assuming the rewards were nerfed similarly to how Ghost of Scrapyard was changed, we'd eventually end up with three paladins just hanging around in KR once people were bored of alting to fight them.

33 minutes ago, Jacke said:

(Current seems so hard to catch the Paladin assembly events.  Though I've not gone to KR to be sure there's no Paladins wandering around and hanging out there wait for the event.)

It's really not that hard, assuming that players actually clean up the event (during AND after construction). The events are IIRC on the same 4-hour timer. It is almost never a stray Paladin, it is almost always a stray clockwork preventing the restart of one of the three sites.