Homecoming Server Update (May 1st): Perfectly Balanced

Jimmy

• City Council

Hey folks,

We’ve just taken the servers down to apply some improvements, most of which are geared towards improving stability and achieving perfect balance between the shards. Let’s get to it!

Midweek XP Bonus

For the foreseeable future, we’re applying a +50% XP bonus on all shards during weekdays. This will be turned on at some point on Monday and turned off at some point on Friday. No specific schedule - it’ll just happen whenever the maintenance happens on those days.

The reasoning here is pretty simple - we fully expect the servers to be overloaded with long queues on the weekend, so we want to encourage anyone that can play during the week to do that instead.

Double XP on Everlasting & Indomitable

We are extending the Double XP bonus on Everlasting & Indomitable until at least Monday the 6th (again, it’ll be turned off during maintenance that day - no specific time). Over the weekend we will monitor the load balance between the servers, and it’s possible we may extend Double XP on one or both of these servers further if we aren’t yet happy with it.

To clarify: This means that until the weekend Everlasting and Indomitable will actually be set to 250% XP. Get levelling!

Architect Entertainment XP Reduction

Some of you may have noticed the AE server going up and down a bit - it’s getting hammered quite hard. We don’t want to disable it completely and remove the ability for anyone to play any AE content, but we need to discourage overuse for the moment.

As such, we’ve reduced the XP gained from Architect content by 50%. In the future, we're hoping to be able to flag a subset of content as ‘Dev Choice’ which will then be exempt from this limitation, but that’ll be happening a bit further down the road.

I know this may upset some of you, but we’re hoping the various other XP bonuses & Anniversary Badge bonus will make up for this.

Leveling Pacts

For a stability reasons we have had to completely disable leveling pacts. If you are currently in a levelling pact, it’s likely your character will not be able to earn any XP until they leave the pact. You can do so by opening the ‘Leveling Pact’ window (under ‘Friends’) and clicking ‘Leave Pact’.

XjiN0Qe.png

Other Bits

We’ve also fixed a few small bugs. One allowed enterprising players to create Architect missions with enemies that actually healed you instead of damaging you. We also may or may not have fixed the bug that caused some of you to get multiple sets of the ‘Experienced’ power from the 15th Anniversary badge.

Everlasting: The Unofficial RP Server

Many of you requested that we name Everlasting the unofficial RP server. To clarify: This is an unofficial designation, it is not a requirement that you RP if you play on Everlasting. We’re just flagging it to allow our RP community to stay together.

Indomitable: The Unofficial PvP Server

As above, we had the same request about naming Indomitable as the unofficial PvP server. As above, this is an unofficial designation to allow the PvP community to stay together - you are not required to engage in PvP if you play on Indomitable.

We know many of you have already started on Torchbearer, but we’re hoping the additional XP bonuses we’ve mentioned above will make it easier to switch over. As it stands right now, we really need to spread the population away from Torchbearer to prevent the queues getting any more excessive.

Server Transfers

Since adding the new shards and naming Indomitable and everlasting as the unofficial PvP and RP shards, we’ve had a ton of requests for server transfers.

Right now, this isn’t something we an offer as it would require us to build an entirely new tool and thoroughly test that tool to ensure there’s no issues and it does not impact server stability.

What we can say is that if for whatever reason we end up shutting an individual shard down we should be able manually move all characters onto another shard. This is not a guarantee it’ll work, but it is a guarantee we will try our best. Obviously, renames may be required as part of this process.

As a reminder, please be sure to join the official City of Heroes: Homecoming Discord for all the latest updates (and an unending supply of terrible jokes when the servers are down)!

That’s all for today folks. Servers should be coming back shortly. When they do, be sure to… Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

- The Homecoming Team

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Can we please add Double Inf to go along with the XP?  Otherwise we're just badly screwing over the economy and making it MUCH too easy to outlevel your actual ability to do things like you should.

Can we please add Double Inf to go along with the XP?  Otherwise we're just badly screwing over the economy and making it MUCH too easy to outlevel your actual ability to do things like you should.

There's actually a setting in game somewhere to turn off XP entirely, and I THINK it give you double influence instead, but I'm not completely sure. Look for it!

I'm out.

From what I've observed, we're also getting double inf. It's normal for characters to struggle to slot SOs until the inf gain outpaces the cost of SOs around the 30s, if that character's entirely self-funding themselves. It's a problem with the base values, not some multiplier mismatch.

Old wiki pages on the 2XP weekends also states that inf gain is also doubled: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Double_XP_Weekends

This goes actually hand in hand. If you set the XP Value to 2 in the Server config this also applies to the inf rewards, so you are already getting 2x the inf.

While there are no server transfers, I just wanted to post to let people know, to ease the pain of transferring to another server, that you CAN send items (inf, salvage, merits, enhancements, recipes) between servers. It is, unfortunately, limited to one item at a time (yes, that means mailing 50 reward merits requires 50 emails), but it's possible. Just use the Email tab above the chat box, and send the email to your global handle (including the @). If you just turn everything to inf, you can send that all in one big chunk if you want.

You can find your global handle by going to the Menu and picking the option that is "Chat Handle".

You're still starting at level 1, but at least you don't have to start at 0.

Midweek XP Bonus

Please expand on how you compute percentages. If you multiply them together weekday XP on Ever and 'Table would be 300% of normal. Addition gives 250%. Weekday AE on Ever and 'Table would be (multiplied) 150% of normal, or (additive) 200%, or 125% (using additive for increases and multiplication for decreases).

Which option is correct?

This is AMAZING!!! You guys are killing it, AE was unhealthy for the game anyway! Now task forces will finally get done!

As a new player, i agree whit the AE turn off.. im lv  32 and dont know nothing about the game.

If it's a server issue, that's understandable. But it feels more like people are going off saying "People are running AE farms and not playing the game how i want them to play it? I'm having a stroke."

Thanks, hopefully more people will be willing to run Incarnate Trials now.

Was talking about this last night. No way for me to know, but I imagine there probably aren't that many level 50's just yet. Sure, there's enough to run a trial, but are they going to be on at the same time? Eventually, sure.

And of course, are they going to be interested...

I think in the next month, things like incarnate trials, mothership raids, hamidon raids, those things will begin to occur on a regular basis. For now, I suspect you're more efficient than most players, or just had a lot more free time. (than most casual players)

Midweek XP Bonus

Please expand on how you compute percentages. If you multiply them together weekday XP on Ever and 'Table would be 300% of normal. Addition gives 250%. Weekday AE on Ever and 'Table would be (multiplied) 150% of normal, or (additive) 200%, or 125% (using additive for increases and multiplication for decreases).

Which option is correct?

It works as follows: XP * 1.5 (this would be 50% increase), and XP * 3.5 (this would be 250% increase)

TBH, I'm in favor of just turning off the XP bonuses entirely now that double XP weekend is over... People are going to play CoH when they can play it regardless of XP boosts.