07/23/2019 Extended Maintenance & New Forums

Cipher

• City Council

There will be extended maintenance tomorrow (2019-07-23) beginning at some point during our usual window (1200-1400 UTC; 0800 Eastern US time) and lasting for several hours.

We will be performing OS updates and other necessary system maintenance.

During this time we will also be transitioning to our new forums. When our maintenance window begins, the current forums will be frozen for a few minutes while they are transitioned into a read-only (read: non-persistent) mode and the database migration will be started. During the maintenance, the current forum will remain available and you will be able to post, but registrations (both forum & game) will be closed and new posts during this time will not persist on the new forum. Once maintenance is nearly concluded and the site has been tested, we will fully transition over to the new forums.

Thank you for continuing to support us; we hope that everyone enjoys the new forums!

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 2

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Will you be transitioning over all the old posts to the new forums?

Is there any user information or post information that will not be ported to the new forums?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• City Council

Posts and accounts should be fine, barring a massive catastrophe. I cannot make any promises at this time about anything else (though I am trying to obtain clarity there!), so save any PMs that you're really attached to.

EDIT: PMs should also carry over.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

The "new content" page is buggy (it shows new posts, but it links to the first post instead of the new one - edit: nope, that was me clicking on the wrong thing; found the right link now), and the Account Management page seems to be gone.

I'm not sue I like the format, either. HUGE icons, tiny text, a lot of empty space.  Gonna go mess with settings to see if I can fix any of that.

(And, of course, all my bookmarks are now invalid.  I had the New Posts page bookmarked instead of the front page)

I mean, I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but overall it's not much of an actual improvement on this end.

Edited by Williwaw

I like the fact that there's actually a MOBILE skin, instead of viewing a desktop page on a mobile browser. Very slick. 

But what I really want to know is CipherDisplayName's opinion of the new forums. 😉

• Haha 1
I'm out.

22 minutes ago, Rhaethe said:

Am I blind, or are all the Archetype forums now missing?  :)

~C

Hmm.  Not blind.  Just did a fairly decent advanced search for some threads that were on those forums, and was not able to find them.

~C

Edited to add ... and now they appear.   I see what you are doing NEMESIS!  >..<

~C

Edited by Rhaethe

• City Council
10 minutes ago, Rhaethe said:

Hmm.  Not blind.  Just did a fairly decent advanced search for some threads that were on those forums, and was not able to find them.

~C

Edited to add ... and now they appear.   I see what you are doing NEMESIS!  >..<

~C

Sorry about that, missed a permission!

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Just now, Cipher said:

Sorry about that, missed a permission!

All good!  I have had to do a migration to IPB before myself and rebuilding permission sets/groups is always fun😉

Blame it on Nemesis 😄

~C

• City Council
28 minutes ago, EggKookoo said:

I like it. I'm just sad it put a border around your profile icon when I designed mine with transparency in order to blend into whatever the background is. I guess that's a sign I should update it.

We can certainly fix that 🙂

• Thanks 1

Cipher

City Council

Oh, I found something I definitely don't like: ... can you not edit after a certain period of time?  I can't edit the post I made a half-hour ago.

Anyway, in regard to one of the comments in that post - the "Game Account" link at the top of the forum works, but the "Game Account Creation & Manag..." link does not lead anywhere.

... and, yeah, my icon was definitely not made to be viewed at this size.  I'll have to find a new one.

Edited by Williwaw

• City Council
16 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

Oh, I found something I definitely don't like: ... can you not edit after a certain period of time?  I can't edit the post I made a half-hour ago.

Anyway, in regard to one of the comments in that post - the "Game Account" link at the top of the forum works, but the "Game Account Creation & Manag..." link does not lead anywhere.

... and, yeah, my icon was definitely not made to be viewed at this size.  I'll have to find a new one.

I'm still adjusting some stuff, that link will be fixed in just a moment.

You should now be able to edit your posts at any time.

Cipher

City Council

28 minutes ago, Cipher said:

We can certainly fix that 🙂

I appreciate that but don't do it just for me. Like some others, mine wasn't made to be seen at this size. It's actually my old one from the live forums. It's probably time for a refresh.

35 minutes ago, Cipher said:

What would you like to see changed?

The font size for the page seems a bit tiny, leaving lots of empty space (and me squinting).  Otherwise I like it.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

12 minutes ago, Cipher said:

I'm still adjusting some stuff, that link will be fixed in just a moment.

You should now be able to edit your posts at any time.

Ah, thank you.

One other thing, though... is there a way to see which topics I've posted in when looking at the New Content link?  The old forums marked the topics I'd posted in with a smiley face, and I don't see any difference in icons here.

Edit: And also:

2 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

The font size for the page seems a bit tiny, leaving lots of empty space (and me squinting).  Otherwise I like it.

This.  The font size is tiny, the icons are huge (which stretches the size of posts even when there's barely anything written in the post), and there's a lot of blank space around.

... sorry, I hope I'm not being pedantic, but the forums are ever-so-slightly harder to read and harder to use in a few different ways.

Edited by Williwaw
ONE MORE THING! JACKEEEEEEEEE!

1 hour ago, Williwaw said:

I'm not sue I like the format, either. HUGE icons, tiny text, a lot of empty space.  Gonna go mess with settings to see if I can fix any of that.

I will echo this.  On desktop at least, a LOT of wasted space, very inefficient display, and requires a lot of scrolling to read very little content.

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Thanks 1