07/23/2019 Extended Maintenance & New Forums

Cipher

I don't know what "bits" are coming, but I'm more interested in efficient reading of content.  Having massive empty space on each post, and only being able to see 2-3 short posts at a time is really going to slow my reading.

Also, need a way to turn off the "ding" when someone makes a new reply; that's going to get annoying fast!

6 minutes ago, Sable Phoenix said:

I really hate this new forum design.  It may be more functional, modern, less resource intensive, etc., but it's ugly as sin.

If there's one thing that Invision Community Suite can not be accused of, it's being less resource intensive. :D  It's actually one of the heaviest of the modern PHP forums.

Like/heart now appeared. Time to go back through everything I've ever read here and given inf to and give it a like 🙂

Would appear I can only like a certain number of posts a day. Odd choice. 

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

@CipherOn the white  space thing (Edit: in regards to paragraphs in posts)

There's a setting for return key behavior, changing it to 'go to the next line' instead of 'start a new paragraph' , will eliminate the white space. 

Screenshot_20190724-021633.thumb.jpg.48b6339ee79ec61dd2fc262c3c7080e7.jpg

Edited by Alty

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

4 hours ago, Alty said:

@CipherOn the white space thing.

There's a setting for return key behavior, changing it to 'go to the next line' instead of 'start a new paragraph' , will eliminate the white space. 

I don't think that's as much of a problem as is the default size of the text compared to the width of the text window and of the avatar space on the left; posts of just a single line still take up much more space on the page than they should.  I've had to change my browser zoom level just to make this forum slightly more readable, but it's annoying to have to use different zooms for different web pages.

22 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

I don't think that's as much of a problem as is the default size of the text compared to the width of the text window and of the avatar space on the left; posts of just a single line still take up much more space on the page than they should.  I've had to change my browser zoom level just to make this forum slightly more readable, but it's annoying to have to use different zooms for different web pages.

You've mentioned two issues...

1 - The default font and size can be changed either in the forum software or by the user and their browser settings. 
2 - The width of the posts can be adjusted but that would require a skin edits across a few components. Since it appears that the team bought a custom skin that may be something they could look into in the future, but overall it may be one of those  folks have to get adjusted to.  

Edited by Alty

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

5 hours ago, Alty said:

@CipherOn the white  space thing (Edit: in regards to paragraphs in posts)

Screenshot_20190724-021633.thumb.jpg.48b6339ee79ec61dd2fc262c3c7080e7.jpg

No, it won't, because that's not the white space I'm talking about.

The white space I'm talking about is caused by the sidebar for each post being so huge that even on a one line post it takes up... well, this much space:

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 4.54.54 PM.png

Two one-line posts, and it takes up my entire screen.

THAT'S the sort of white space I mean.  The icons need to be made smaller, and the side pane more compact in general.

Edited by Williwaw
Even better illustration.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

No, it won't, because that's not the white space I'm talking about.

The white space I'm talking about is caused by the sidebar for each post being so huge that even on a one line post it takes up... well, this much space:

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 4.54.54 PM.png

Two one-line posts, and it takes up my entire screen.

THAT'S the sort of white space I mean.  The icons need to be made smaller, and the side pane more compact in general.

14 hours ago, EggKookoo said:

I kind of like lots of white space. Back in my day, we scrolled and we liked it!

• Like 1
I'm out.