The Boys

Gravitus

On 7/23/2019 at 4:54 PM, Transhumanish said:

It's based on an Eisner-nominated comic series of the same name, by Garth Ennis (same person who wrote Preacher, and what is likely the best run of the Punisher ever made), that ran from 2006-2012. It's a deconstruction of the genre intended to shock that looks at what would happen not only to superpowered beings, but to corporations, governments, and to the non-powered dealing with collateral damage, if a tiny group actually had so much more raw personal power than everyone else. And what some people would risk, would do, to keep that kind of power and how it corrupts in check. 

I read the comics, and while it was interesting at times, the fact that Garth Ennis REALLY hates superheroes was far too blatant on every page. There wasn't a single decent person among any of the superheroes. Like, none. They were ALL deviants, drug addicts, sex addicts, pedophiles, rapists, etc. Every single one of them. It's not really to show "what would happen to superpowered beings", it's to take a dump on the superhero genre. Sure, if superpowers were real you'd have some asshats who'd get powers. But you'd also have people honestly trying to do good. Not this "everybody with powers is 100% corrupt and scummy" stuff Ennis writes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

I read the comics, and while it was interesting at times, the fact that Garth Ennis REALLY hates superheroes was far too blatant on every page. There wasn't a single decent person among any of the superheroes. Like, none. They were ALL deviants, drug addicts, sex addicts, pedophiles, rapists, etc. Every single one of them. It's not really to show "what would happen to superpowered beings", it's to take a dump on the superhero genre. Sure, if superpowers were real you'd have some asshats who'd get powers. But you'd also have people honestly trying to do good. Not this "everybody with powers is 100% corrupt and scummy" stuff Ennis writes.

Starlight seems to be an actual hero 

18 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

Have to agree 100%.  Ennis is one of my least favorite writers for just this reason.  Alan Moore, Frank Miller, and Vertigo are what's wrong with the DC superhero universe, in the books, in the movies, wherever.  You get these people who think the brightly colored patriotic heroes who strove to do their utmost to do right were just greasy kid stuff.  To make them interesting, you had to make them dark and pervy. 

Comics informed by this belief system will be the death of the industry. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I only have two episodes left and already looking forward to season 2. I never read the comics so the whole "Hughie should be a Scot" thing isn't an issue with me. Then again though I think most tv shows/movies that use a print source material do not have to go by every single minute detail in order to be their own stand alone version and do it well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Burnt Toast said:

I never read the comics so the whole "Hughie should be a Scot" thing isn't an issue with me. Then again though I think most tv shows/movies that use a print source material do not have to go by every single minute detail in order to be their own stand alone version and do it well. 

See the retelling over the ages of the many gods, Camelot, Sherlock Holmes, and Fairy Tales.

Elements of the stories always take on aspects of the teller and the times.

Thus our creative output as humans is not stifled by some need to adhere to a rigid set of rules, thankfully.

And, just to be clear, Han shot first.

It was up and down for me. The first 1/2 was great. The second 1/2 just descended into tropes that I could see from a mile away. The final episode was not a cliffhanger for me.  Shouldn't have binged, but like I said the first 1/2 was great the second 1/2 I just wanted it to end already...

"It was the same in NY too."

The background given here could be written in numerous ways to have occurred anywhere in the world.

I grew up in a very Scotch-Irish community myself.

Good stories resonate the human condition, not the nationality of the character, IME.

I love the new Star Trek movies, I love the Lord of the Rings movies, etc.

New and different is refreshing and interesting to me...

I was able to catch the first two episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to the rest. I hope it's not as bad as what I've read above. Seems like a good, realistic premise, nothing ground-breaking. In fact quite a natural train of thought. But something that would have come sooner or later given how popular the MCU is. Watchmen pioneered this, but not a lot of people got on board at the time.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:18 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Alright, I went through the first ten minutes watching on my phone during my lunch break and... I'm out. 

They gave Starlight super strength? More importantly, they made Wee Hughie AMERICAN??? WTF? His nationality is kind of CORE to his character, in fact they have a SEVERAL book storyline where he goes back to his home country to deal with some things... How the hell are they gonna pull that off when he's American? 

I'm out. 

After GOT and several other books-to-television/movie series I’ve long since given up seeing faithful adaptations of written works converted into screenplays.  The theater of the mind is one thing, while actual theater is something else.

I was a fan of the comics, but I am also a fan of the show.  I tend to view it as a based-on/alternate reality version of the books and it goes down better for me.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:57 AM, WumpusRat said:

Well I think he took the trope “absolute power corrupts absolutely” as his basic premise.  If you really had the power of Homelander, and the complete access to/benefit of a massive PR and business behind you and that business had absolutely zero code of ethics....what would you do?   The answer, he shows us, is pretty much unbridled narcissistic debauchery.  All the power, none of the consequences.

Haven't seen it yet...very excited to get to it...

As for how close you follow the adaptation?  The challenge with books and comics is that they have unlimited special effects budgets in their medium...Books more so than comics even...

The big & silver screens ares a different medium...limited special effects budgets, but a better ability to make things seem more "real"...

Each should play to it's strengths...Watchmen was one of the best comics to screen adaptations I've ever seen (minus the ending...but that comes back to my earliest point about limitations of effects and the need for some realism), and it was just eh...

I think good comic to screen adaptations are true to the themes of the stories they pull from, that characters are true to their core traits in the books (not appearances, but how they react, their impulses, their morality, etc), and some level of fan service - story beats copied over, costumes copied over, something...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Finished the season and thought it was great.

I didnt follow the comic so dont have any preconceived notion of how the plot needs to go according to the books, but thought the flow of the scripts and the actors did a pretty damn good job showing who their characters were and moving the story along.

Im looking forward to season 2.

It is a pretty disturbing show.  But I think it shows what the reality of superpowers would be like.   On one end of the spectrum you would have Superman, on the other the Brightburn kid.  In the middle would be "the boys" type of supers.     Realistically, someone with Superman's goodness, integrity, honesty, kindness, and care for humanity is pretty damn rare.   You'd probably have your standard bell-curve of good to bad on super powered people.   Just imagine what your neighbors would be like with superpowers.   or just a random sample of people.  

• Like 1

So, I've been otherwise engaged over the last few weeks and not been in-game, but I was wondering...

In light of the recent release on Amazon prime of a live action adaptation of dynamite entertainments 'The Boys' (10/10 imo) has there been a noticeable increase in antihero types, increased rogue isles population, fan characters? Or will that now happen because I posted this! 😂😂

Now that you've posted about it, the power of suggestion would dictate that it will have an effect.  How much of an effect may well be dictated by how many read this post, as I have.  😮😉

Edited by Abraxus

What was no more, is REBORN!

Hard to judge those things with only our anecdotal evidence....but an intersting topic to be sure.

IMO, most of the Heroes in the City are grey at best anyway.

I have tried a few times to make a character that is intended to be more of a 'normal'.

They don't tend to 'grab me' as much so far...

Glad to see this has stoked some conversation 😁

To the comment about it being a world of corrupt superheroes, this is only one super group. They mention there's 200 and somet heroes around. Maybe it's only these guys...

And about Hughie, this is a great story. The Hughie character in the comics was actually based on Simon Pegg, artistically. When they went into production of the series they asked Simon if he would play the part of Hughie, but he refused because he felt he was too old, so they cast him as Hughie's Dad instead.

5 minutes ago, Robothenri said:

And also, why is my inital post, the op post, the post I opened this thread with, why is it post number 45? 45 people have responded to a post i've not made until post number 45! I'm the opening post, what's going on?

Thread merge.