A big Thank You for the 64-bit Homecoming Client

Veracor

I lead Hamidon raids and iTrials every day.  Today I got to do so with the 64-bit Client and have experienced the following:

1). Load times are significantly faster for both instances and regular zones, roughly halving most.  Sometimes I even retain the star in itrials now!

2). iTrial framerates have improved and fewer people have mapserved, though that second part might have been coincidence.

3). Hamidon went from 4 fps at its worst (2 full leagues) to a consistent 35 fps.  Seriously, massive improvement here!

4). I checked an MSR afterward and I had 18-22 fps in the mosh pit as opposed to 2.

I'm on recent hardware but was still struggling a fair bit with CoH, to the point where I'd open my popmenus a few seconds early to ensure I selected the right calls.  Not anymore!  The everyday stuff I run is going to be so much smoother now.

A big Thank You to everyone that worked on the 64-bit Client!

• Like 2

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

Totally agree.

The new client makes the game simply 'better'...better sound, smoother play, I think some of the texture processing is much better, at least with cell-shading turned on, things like the body tattoos look awesome.

An excellent advancement!

2 minutes ago, Papaschtroumpf said:

So you just download the new client and off you go? Should you uninstall the old client? I can't find any explanation about this.

Just open the laucher as usual, wait for it to finish, then click the 64-bit button....on Windows...more complicated on a Mac...

• Retired Game Master
21 minutes ago, Papaschtroumpf said:

So you just download the new client and off you go? Should you uninstall the old client? I can't find any explanation about this.

If you're using the right manifest (http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml), your launcher will automatically download the new client files and add the launch options to the list.

If you're on Mac or Linux and running the game through Wine, you'll need the newest version of Wine to run the 64-bit version.

Mine was working, though it had some issues. I updated my graphics driver to the latest one last night, and now the normal 32bit and 64bit clients won't load at all. The game crashes back to desktop before it gets to the login screen. Luckily safe mode still lets me log in.

Oddly enough however, the 32bit and 64bit versions of the test server work just fine.

Everything just feels so much smoother with the 64-bit client, and I can't help but wonder, given how much bigger the Paragon Studios development team was compared to the Homecoming team, why did Paragon keep on with their "we can't release a 64-bit client, and have no plans to do so" denials? Have the development tools improved that much over the years?