Auction house beginner question

Glengoyne559

So I decided to dive into the auction house and crafting. I did neither back on live despite playing off and on over the whole life of the game. I saw that I had all the stuff to create a  level 22 named IO enhancement, and crafted it. Checking out the auction house made me think I could get 2M influence for what I had.  After some test unctions of salvage pieces,I listed it,and was rewarded with 2,222,222 influence. 

Im very happy with those results,and I'm diving into the market whole heartedly now.  I do have some questions that I haven't been able to find searching through AH topics. 

1) Why did I get more than I posted the item for?  I think I must have had the best price/ only one for sale, and just got what someone bid.  If this Auction house basic I s explained somewhere, I'd love to be pointed in that direction. 

2) Why is a level 22 enhancement selling for pretty close to what the same enhancement at much higher levels appears to be selling for?  

Again in sorry if this information is out there in existing threads, I must be so lost I'm searching for the wrong key words.  

1. The listing sells for the highest existing bid on it that meets your minimum sell price.

2. Enhancement Catalysts make lower level enhancements just as viable as the higher level ones. You can take the lowest level one that you can find and attune it with no differences in the finished attuned enhancement.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

As I understand it, the AH matches the highest buy bid with the lowest sell offer below that buy bid, if such a sell offer exists. If you have the lowest offer then you'll get whatever the highest bid is that is greater than your offer.

Enhancements put up for sale on the AH can be bought at any of their respective levels. So if the level range of the enhancement you sold was, say, 20-40, then it could be bought as anything in the 20-40 range, and it could also have been bought as an attuned enhancement.

If you want some light reading, head to the guides subforum and look for any of the guides that pertain to earning money on the market. They were written by folks with far more knowledge on the subject than I have.

• Like 1

To clarify, when you post something in the AH, that thing goes into a "bucket" of other similar things, without levels or attunement.  For example, if you craft a level 35 Luck of the Gambler +Defense IO, it goes into the same bucket as all the other Luck of the Gambler +Defense IOs: essentially, the level numbers and attunement bit are ignored.  If you look at all of the other Luck of the Gambler +Defense IOs, you'll see the same inventory numbers and amounts, regardless of level or attunement.  If there are 17 level 50 Luck of the Gambler +Defense selling for $5M Inf each, you'll see that there are 17 level 25 Luck of the Gambler +Defense selling for $5M Inf each, and also the same 17 Luck of the Gambler +Defense (attuned) are selling for $5M Inf each.

This is why you got $2M Inf for your level 22 IO: it was probably purchased by someone else as a higher-level or attuned IO.  They weren't buying a "level 22 IO", they were buying "this specific named IO", and the AH simply delivered it at the level selected for purchase (or attuned without any level).

This also means that you can use the AH as an automatic Catalyst.  Let's say you have a recipe for a level 35 Luck of the Gambler +Defense IO that you want to attune.  You could go ahead and craft then slot that IO and use a Catalyst to attune it (the original method).  OR... you could craft that IO and sell it on the AH for the current going price.  Once you get the Inf for selling it, you can turn around and buy the attuned version of the same IO for the exact same price.  You basically just "bought" an attunement for only the cost of the AH fees.  You don't need a Catalyst for that.

In fact, you can just sell any Catalysts you might have: they're selling for a couple million Inf apiece right now.  Or just save them for your ATOs, to make them Superior (if you buy those with merits, instead of just buying them Superior for over 20-25M Inf each).

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

20 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

In fact, you can just sell any Catalysts you might have: they're selling for a couple million Inf apiece right now.  Or just save them for your ATOs or Winter IOs, to make them Superior (if you buy those with merits, instead of just buying them Superior for over 20-25M Inf each).

Superior Winter IOs are bucketed with the regular versions as well. So ATOs are the only thing it's worthwhile to manually catalyze.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

Superior Winter IOs are bucketed with the regular versions as well. So ATOs are the only thing it's worthwhile to manually catalyze.

I wondered about that.  I've edited my post accordingly.  Thanks!

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer