War Witch Change

Just now, Redlynne said:

Because War Witch ... spacer.png

... is War Witch ... spacer.png

... and the (nigh constant) slurping of her drink is something that the original dev team at Paragon Studios put in as an inside joke/dig at the developer due to her ... shall we say ... "drinking habits" ... in the office.

You should have led with that...would have saved some drama...I would agree that we should keep the inside joke...Easter eggs are fun, but only once you know they are an easter egg...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

... and the (nigh constant) slurping of her drink is something that the original dev team at Paragon Studios put in as an inside joke/dig at the developer due to her ... shall we say ... "drinking habits" ... in the office.

Well, Homecoming isn't that Dev team, so maybe time for a change?

Really, you were told, if you don't like the suggestion, LEAVE the thread

• Like 2

13 hours ago, reconfigureyourface said:

Can we PLEASE either make the interval between her drinks further apart or just change her animation and sound from drinking completely? JESUS.... 😛 

I can sympathize with you on this. While I haven't heard it personally and will go check it out the next time I can, I can say it would drive me insane as well.

For those who don't know, there is a term for this:

Misophonia. People who are sensitive to certain sounds sometimes cope by blocking them out. Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", was proposed in 2000 as a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds.

I suffer from this as well. I will lose my shit if I have to be next to a person who slurps or chews with their mouth open for more than a few seconds. I *know* it's not their fault, but it really gets under my skin like nails on a black board. My coping mechanism is to remove myself from the situation, but sometimes you can't.. like when you're stuck on an airplane and you have a noisy eater next to you and it's taking all of your will to NOT throat punch them... (which I would NEVER do, but fantasize about and that sometimes brings me relief 🤣)

Knowing it's an inside joke and having met War Witch in person, I don't think it should be changed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckers said:

I can sympathize with you on this. While I haven't heard it personally and will go check it out the next time I can, I can say it would drive me insane as well.

For those who don't know, there is a term for this:

.......(snip)....

Knowing it's an inside joke and having met War Witch in person, I don't think it should be changed. 

Same here, on both regards, that's why have modified or silenced several sounds within the game,.

Demon Lt rawrs drive me nuts, so I changed them to infant giggles.

Bots stomping around, now squeak like rubber duckies.

Glowies now cackle like hyenas.

Other, like Spines' aura or Lightning Field, I just silence.

• Haha 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

4 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Same here, on both regards, that's why have modified or silenced several sounds within the game,.

Bots stomping around, now squeak like rubber duckies.

Glowies now cackle like hyenas.

Other, like Spines' aura or Lightning Field, I just silence.

RUBBER DUCKIES!!!!! OMG that's sooooooo cute!!!

14 hours ago, reconfigureyourface said:

Can we PLEASE either make the interval between her drinks further apart or just change her animation and sound from drinking completely? JESUS.... 😛 

I've found it quite annoying in the past with my RP group back on Legacy. If I recall correctly, you can still hear her from over at the bar behind her.

You can silence the sound by dropping the the attached file into this CoH directory.

\data\sound\ogg\NPCs\

This will actually change it for every NPC that slurps coffee, not just WW.

Edit: Okay, what did they do to the forums...? It's breaking the audio files.

Drink_01.zip

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

29 minutes ago, Chuckers said:

Misophonia.

My ex-girlfriend has this, for any loud, sharp noise.  And also for anything towards the bass end of the spectrum (I had to use headphones to play any shooters; the sound of gunshots from the game was literally painful for her ... even at a volume lower than normal human talking).

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

1 minute ago, PaxArcana said:

My ex-girlfriend has this, for any loud, sharp noise.  And also for anything towards the bass end of the spectrum (I had to use headphones to play any shooters; the sound of gunshots from the game was literally painful for her ... even at a volume lower than normal human talking).

Wow.. I haven't witnessed pain, just annoyance. 

Yeah.  I think she may also have had a bit of audio hyperaesthesia, so she would wince visibly at any loud(ish), deep-bass, short-duration sound .... like video game gunshots.

It wasn't like "oh god call an ambulance" level of pain, AFAICT.  More like "damnit I stepped on a LEGO brick ... again" pain.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

15 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I've found it quite annoying in the past with my RP group back on Legacy. If I recall correctly, you can still hear her from over at the bar behind her.

You can silence the sound by dropping the the attached file into this CoH directory.

\data\sound\ogg\NPCs\

This will actually change it for every NPC that slurps coffee, not just WW.

Unfortunately I cannot get that video/sound you posted. Otherwise i will absolutely do this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reconfigureyourface said:

Unfortunately I cannot get that video/sound you posted. Otherwise i will absolutely do this.

I just attached the file as a .zip

9 minutes ago, Chuckers said:

Wow.. I haven't witnessed pain, just annoyance. 

Actually, the hand driers in restrooms are like ice picks in my ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Who the hell listens to in game sound effects?

This, the sound is HORRIBLE in CoH and always has been.

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Personally I wouldnt want a sec of dev time waste on this either.

This x 1000. There are far too many more important things that need attention, especially when this is an issue you can fix yourself.

34 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Pretty sure that's creepier than the original, exponentially.

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

2 minutes ago, Warlawk said:

This, the sound is HORRIBLE in CoH and always has been.

This x 1000. There are far too many more important things that need attention, especially when this is an issue you can fix yourself.

Pretty sure that's creepier than the original, exponentially.

Pretty sure an interval change or a sound file change would take a handful of minutes, not the time required like the last patch.

Also, heck if I KNEW it was an issue I could fix myself, maybe OP didn't either?

Man you guys/gals are awful testy in here.

Edited by Icey-Lady
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chuckers said:

Welcome to the internets.. where the phrase "Have a nice day" will set someone off! 🤣

I started to fake being insulted by this for laughs, but I couldn't come up with any way to make it overblown and out of proportion enough that it didn't look like a real post we get in this sub-forum. That's kinda sad to think about.

Personally, I love CoH for a lot of reasons, but the sounds are not one of them. The only time I turn audio on is when I'm looking for a contrary blinkie that isn't on my map. I could spend hours tweaking sound files and there'd still be something that would grate on my nerves after a while. It's really hard to make sound effects that don't get repetitive and annoying for someone by the end of a long play session. Some are just far worse than others.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yoru-hime said:

Personally, I love CoH for a lot of reasons, but the sounds are not one of them. The only time I turn audio on is when I'm looking for a contrary blinkie that isn't on my map. I could spend hours tweaking sound files and there'd still be something that would grate on my nerves after a while. It's really hard to make sound effects that don't get repetitive and annoying for someone by the end of a long play session. Some are just far worse than others.

I like a lot of the sounds in the game. I LOVE the clomping of my bots as they get close to me. Especially when there's one bot who's running back to me.. it reminds me of a 2 year old that hasn't learned to bend his/her knees when they run. Makes me smile. 

I do remember LONG ago there were some noises, powers especially, that EVERYONE hated and the devs took that into consideration. I think Sonic got a heavy sound make over. 

Edited by Chuckers
forgot a word.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckers said:

I like a lot of the sounds in the game. I LOVE the clomping of my bots as the close to me. Especially when there's one bot who's running back to me.. it reminds me of a 2 year old that hasn't learned to bend his/her knees when they run. Makes me smile. 

Now every time I see a bots MM go by, I'm going to picture a gang of 2 year olds with energy weapons and swarm missiles. The Assault Bot is definitely the know-it-all oldest sibling daring the others to do dumb things. 🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Icey-Lady said:

Well, Homecoming isn't that Dev team, so maybe time for a change?

Really, you were told, if you don't like the suggestion, LEAVE the thread

That's not how threads work. if someone disagrees they can continue to assert why.

If you've made your point and dislike being disagreed with, you may, however, leave the thread.