What are your tips and tricks for decking a character out with Purple IOs?

Glowman

Are you asking how to earn inf to buy purpled, or are you asking about specific strategies for acquiring purples?

If you want a specific purple, it’s usually cheaper to buy the recipe and craft it yourself, but not always.  

If if you have a purple recipe that’s not the one you want, generally I’d craft it and if you can’t sell it at a price that would enable you to buy the one you want, convert it until it’s a more marketable one.  

If if you have a purple IO that is the right set but the wrong piece, you can convert it until the RNG gives you the piece you want, but probably you are better off selling it and using the proceeds towards the one you want.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

23 minutes ago, mikeconqueso said:

Question is in the subject. Do you just farm the inf? Farm certain task forces for merits? What way do you find best for acquiring purple sets?

Personally I farm inf AND play the market. With the right AE arc (2915) and with the 'double inf, no XP when exemplared' option I can bring in just over 10 million inf in 5 minutes work on my spines/fire farmer (who isn't even fully IO'd out, thats how easy it is to get one up and running, if I invest in her heavily she'd be doing things much faster but then I wouldn't have inf to spend on other characters 😄) Meaning in about 15 minutes I can afford one purple IO from the market combined with the income from the market I can usually outfit myself in 5 purple recipes in about a hours worth of 'work'.

Edited by DR_Mechano

I created a second account and built up a level 50 spines/fire Brute. Now I can two box and door sit my own alt while I farm influence. Two birds with one stone, kind of thing. 

But to answer your question: I AE farm influence. Once you get a decently built farmer, you can earn 100-200 million per hour, not including salvage and recipe drops. 

Just keep playing the character. Veteran levels give you boatloads of Empyrean Merits, which can be converted into reward merits, which can be converted into enhancement boosters, which can be sold for inf. Basically, the game starts throwing money at your face post-50. Sure, you'll want to use the first bunch of them for getting incarnate powers, but that shouldn't take you all that long, and you'll be earning reward merits, along the way.

In short, it's really easy to make money in this game if you actually enjoy playing your level 50 characters. There's no need for specific farming strategies or builds, as you'll get all the resources you need just by clearing content. Sure, you can earn inf pretty fast by AE farming, but then you don't have the badges, accolades, or incarnate components you would have gotten by spending that time on task forces, trials, or story arcs.

If you enjoy farming for the sake of it, then more power to you. But if you just want to improve your build, work on other things and the cash will keep rolling in until you run out of things to spend it on (and then start twinking out your lowbie alts).

• Like 6

My characters tend to be merit rich and inf poor.   Run fun level 50 content where you actually do defeat hundreds of mobs; the ITF (not the speed way) and Market Crash tend to be pretty good for this.  So are Rikti raids.  If you have characters that can safely work the Cimerora fort walls, that was a traditional lucky spot.  Purple recipes eventually will drop.  I craft them and, if they're not immediately useful, one merit buys three converters, each of which buys you an equal rarity, out of set conversion,  These also drop plentifully in game at most levels.  I have one storage bin in my base dedicated to catalysts, converters, and unslotters.  AAR I use the converters until I land on an enhancement that one character or another will be able to use.  If by some mischance I get two of a kind I use the three-converter gamble to make it into a different enhancement from the same set. 

I currently have nine lvl50 characters, so they can all support each other this way. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

My characters tend to be merit rich and inf poor.   Run fun level 50 content where you actually do defeat hundreds of mobs; the ITF (not the speed way) and Market Crash tend to be pretty good for this.  So are Rikti raids.  If you have characters that can safely work the Cimerora fort walls, that was a traditional lucky spot.  Purple recipes eventually will drop.  I craft them and, if they're not immediately useful, one merit buys three converters, each of which buys you an equal rarity, out of set conversion,  These also drop plentifully in game at most levels.  I have one storage bin in my base dedicated to catalysts, converters, and unslotters.  AAR I use the converters until I land on an enhancement that one character or another will be able to use.  If by some mischance I get two of a kind I use the three-converter gamble to make it into a different enhancement from the same set. 

I currently have nine lvl50 characters, so they can all support each other this way. 

Same here.  Everyone tells me I'm a fool for buying purples with Merits, that I could make more money by converting them to boosters/converters for sale on the AH, but that just seems like more time/effort than it's worth.  I play the game, I get merits, I buy purples -- simple as that.  I still buy/sell things on the AH, but I don't "play" the market: I just don't find that fun.

• Like 4

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I get all my incarnate salvage from TF, story arc, and trial rewards. I never spend Empyreans or Astrals on salvage, they’re worth reward merits. This means I both save the merits to spend on IOs, but running all those trials and TFs also means I make lots of inf, too. One character, all T4 incarnated out, typically earns enough merits and inf to outfit three or four alts with IO builds.

Edited by Vanden

2 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Same here.  Everyone tells me I'm a fool for buying purples with Merits, that I could make more money by converting them to boosters/converters for sale on the AH, but that just seems like more time/effort than it's worth.  I play the game, I get merits, I buy purples -- simple as that.  I still buy/sell things on the AH, but I don't "play" the market: I just don't find that fun.

At this point buying Purples is just as effective as converters.

Edited by MunkiLord

<Manifesto Warning>

1.  Be sure that Purple Sets are what you want to slot.

Back in the day I slotted multiple Purple sets in my characters because they had the biggest set bonuses.  Since return I have looked more closely at the set bonuses that were going to impact my effectiveness and the Purple sets aren't measuring up.

1A.  Developing a character is a process not an end point.

You don't have to have all the things that your final build desires immediately and without going though using lesser resources.  Unslotters are cheap and you can benefit from having a cheaper set slotted and using it's set bonuses while you gather the resources to get more expensive sets.

2.  Play the game.

I think this is the main issue that your question goes to and for me one of the best things about CoHH is that to get ahead what you need to do is to play the game.  You should do this in whatever way you find most fun,  And if others want to do it a different way then let them and keep doing it your way.

Defeating mobs is the way ahead and where and how you do that is up to you.  AE farms can provide a reliable and predicable source of action, but you can get a consistent stream of missions full of mobs with repeatable missions with little effort or story arcs with a little effort engaging with contacts.

Being a half decent team former and knowing what rewards you can get from what content are the two things you need to make the most of your playtime.

It isn't hard to get some fellow supers together for some action, just throw it out there on LFG and be prepared to have something for the team to do.  Radio or Newspaper missions are always there,  There are repeatable missions in the Rikti War Zone and Dark Astoria which are cooperative zones so you can have heroes and villains in your team.

Don't wait to fill your team, just go with whatever you can get and shout out for more every 5 minutes or so.

Orouboros is a good way to access content of whatever length you like from a single mission to a 13 door epic arc and can give lots of different rewards,

The Who Will Die arc is 7 chapters that each give 20 reward merits the first time you do them and then you can chose one to do once a week and still get 20 reward merits and can be done quite quickly,

Dark Astoria Chapter 1 Heather Townshend is 4 door missions that can be done in 30 to 15 minutes, solo or in a team and gives a reward of 2 pieces of Incarnate salvage.  good if you don't like big raids or aren't around when the iTrials are run.

3.  Know how to get the best return from your resources.

You don't have to do anything, but a little work can get you to your goals earlier.

Pretty much every set recipe you get as a drop from level 20 to 40 is going to get you a profit if you craft and put them up on the AH.  Set the price at 85% of the average price of the last 5 sales and you will get decent returns.

Alternatively you could do a little converting, a couple of flips for 2 Converters can change a Yellow enh to an Orange one then a couple more at 1 converter can get you something that will sell for 2 or more million Inf.

There is nothing wrong with using whatever method you are most comfortable with, and purple recipes for Reward merits is as straightfoward as it gets, but a bit of craft and trade can give good returns without getting into any serious market shenanigans.

4.  Learn, but don't play ugly.

You have already started by asking the question, but don't let the opinions of others ruin your enjoyment of the game.

Reading how others navigate the game and achieve their goals can be useful but don't let it drag you into playing in a way that isn't fun for you,

Keep having fun and good luck.

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."