The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Bernard The Beast's "Less Obnoxious Sounds" Sound Mod

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

BERNARD THE BEAST'S LESS ANNOYING SOUNDS MOD

Hello and welcome to this little mod for City of Heroes/Villains that will make some of the sounds in the game, just a little bit less obnoxious! The idea is simple: certain powers, npcs and world sound effects that would ordinarily shatter your ears have been turned down, altered, or replaced with new (but hopefully fitting!) sounds that will let your ears continue functioning in peace!

Also be sure to check out Solarverse's SFX Consolidated List of Mods which contains alternative SFX for Beam Rifles, Peacebringers, Lightning Primary, Lightning Field (Quieter), and more!

Installation Instructions

1) Copy/Cut/Move the 'data' folder found in this .zip file to the same location/folder where "cityofheroes.exe" is located.

2) You're finished!

CHANGE LOG

v1.0

• Mod created! Sounds that have been modified are as follows:

• Demon Summoning: Altered Roar/Taunt sound from Fiery Demon and Hellfire Gargoyle pets.
• Hasten: Quieter, with a "smoother" build up effect.

• Teleportation: Teleport, Recall Friend and Group Teleport have a smoother, less sharp sound.

• Rikti: Teleport sound has been made much quieter and smoother (removes a Pocket D jump-scare!)

IMPORTANT NOTES

Adding/Creating a 'data' folder in your City of Heroes directory is very likely to change the default configuration write/read directory from "piggs" to "data". This means if you use /bind_save_file or /bind_load_file, the directory has changed and the command/your macros may fail to load.

TO FIX: You need to move your custom bindings and macros from "piggs" to "data".

TO UNINSTALL:

Delete the files added by this mod.

LEGAL
THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY CRYPTIC, PARAGON STUDIOS, PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT, THE HOMECOMING TEAM, SCORE AND/OR ITS LICENCORS. THE MOD MAKER TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THIS MOD IN ANY WAY DAMAGES, CORRUPTS, OR CAUSES UNFAVORABLE ISSUES. PLEASE FOLLOW UNINSTALL INSTRUCTIONS IF SOMETHING GOES TERRIBLY WRONG.

BernardTheBeast_CoH_LessAnnoyingSoundsMod.zip

Edited by BernardTheBeast
Added Link to Solarverse's SFX Consolidated List of Mods
  • Like 3

Roleplayer of Brutes, Beasts, Monsters and Men

► Casual, Chill, Empathetic, Enthusiastic, Relaxed ◄

Surprised the beast mastery sounds aren't on here, I've heard a few people complain about my MM -- not that it bothers me any.

Sonic is also a good idea for being super noisy, and I hate that constant humming from elec control (gives me a headache).

Cool pack though.

• Like 1

Sonic indeed is a bit much and should be on here if possible.  All forms of Sonic really lmao.  Especially the power called Sonic Repulsion and the Force Field power called Repulsion Field, Singularity from Gravity Control, Repel from Kinetics...well any repel power now really.  Thanks to the Sudden Acceleration Proc KB and Repel Powers are Desirable. 

Love what has been done so far!

Edited by Tater Todd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later

Hey ya'll! Cheers for all the responses, and glad some folks are getting some use out of the pack! I'm super busy with work stuff, so if someone wants to take the tweaks I've made and throw'em into a new mod, that'd probably be the best way of doing a sound overhaul. I can't guarantee I'll find the time to do an overhaul of all the other recommendations that have been made. I mean, I'll try, but I've got like, 350 ping in-game for the next 5 months or so, and thus I haven't been playing too often even when I do get the chance! 

On 11/8/2019 at 8:30 PM, BernardTheBeast said:

Hey ya'll! Cheers for all the responses, and glad some folks are getting some use out of the pack! I'm super busy with work stuff, so if someone wants to take the tweaks I've made and throw'em into a new mod, that'd probably be the best way of doing a sound overhaul. I can't guarantee I'll find the time to do an overhaul of all the other recommendations that have been made. I mean, I'll try, but I've got like, 350 ping in-game for the next 5 months or so, and thus I haven't been playing too often even when I do get the chance! 

I'm glad people are liking your mod @BernardTheBeast

One thing they can try is to modify their own sounds with silence or their own choice of audio.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 5 months later

A big thank you to everyone who has replied or made suggestions for sounds—this is definitely something I'd like to expand, if people are finding it useful! I'm going to take some time when I can to look up other sounds (I'm not familiar with all the powersets) that were mentioned, to see if I can create some more lore-appropriate/less-annoying sounds to add.

I'd especially like to make the mod more Modular, so that you can choose what sounds to 'install' as it were. More options is always better!

Alternatively, I just noticed that there's another collection of adjusted sound mods that might be worth checking out—it can be found here:

Solarverse's SFX Consolidated List of Mods

Edited by BernardTheBeast
Added link

• 1 year later

Sorry for the Necro, just wanted to say THANK YOU! Could not figure out in the long list of Demon Summoning sounds which was the annoying one. The fact that you've made a couple other powers less obnoxious too is great. The only other sound I'm personally modifying is the Dog Howl, which I've replaced with silence. 🙂

• Like 1

Coloden.png

• 6 months later