Slotting Death Shroud

dtj714

So I have a Broadsword/Dark Armor scrapper that I really like. Not 50 yet, but in anticipation I’m curious to know peoples’ opinions on the best slotting for Death Shroud. Was thinking of doing 3 slots for acc/dmg/end, then 3 slots of procs, but if I understand the proc rules right that would give each proc a 30% chance to go off every 10 seconds. Not much survives 10 seconds in this game though, so I’m wondering if it’s better to just slot for pure dmg?

Any other key slotting advice for this AT and power combo would also be appreciated. 

17 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

I personally always go for Thunderstrike: Acc/Dmg - Acc/End - Acc/Dmg/End - Dmg/End, not especially for the sets, because it's decent stats. If you want more dmg with same slots, replace the Acc/End with a Scirocco's Dervish Acc/Dmg/End

Do you mean Multi-Strike?  If not I'm out of ideas.  🙂

I'll say this and yes there's going to be people who disagree but, IMO, the Superior Critical Strikes ATO is EXCEPTIONALLY good in damage toggle auras.

Yes, it's lower proc chance, but it's permanently procing it against every enemy you fight and procs sometimes more than it's supposed to in large mobs. Highly underestimated. Even ST, it randomly procs pretty well.

1 hour ago, 3333053222 said:

I'll say this and yes there's going to be people who disagree but, IMO, the Superior Critical Strikes ATO is EXCEPTIONALLY good in damage toggle auras.

Yes, it's lower proc chance, but it's permanently procing it against every enemy you fight and procs sometimes more than it's supposed to in large mobs. Highly underestimated. Even ST, it randomly procs pretty well.

Hmm, very interesting.  Could you be more specific on the actual proc mechanics?  If what I looked at earlier is correct, then it would be 30% every 10 seconds, but for each mob hit?  How long does the buff last?  The wiki doesn’t seem to have info for that set. 

If you're going to six-slot a damage aura, Overwhelming Force is my favorite set for it. It gives excellent endurance reduction, and the sixth set bonus is knockback protection, which you almost never get from sets with damage auras.

23 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

Hmm, very interesting.  Could you be more specific on the actual proc mechanics?  If what I looked at earlier is correct, then it would be 30% every 10 seconds, but for each mob hit?  How long does the buff last?  The wiki doesn’t seem to have info for that set. 

Yes, that is correct, which means that if you're swarmed with enemies, it's almost guaranteed to proc.

The proc gives you a global +50% chance to crit all powers. Further, it lasts for 3.x-something seconds, so you'll only really get one move out of it but it's worthwhile because that's one very likely crit hit.

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

If you're going to six-slot a damage aura, Overwhelming Force is my favorite set for it. It gives excellent endurance reduction, and the sixth set bonus is knockback protection, which you almost never get from sets with damage auras.

Wouldn't it also occasionally knock the enemies down?

6 hours ago, 3333053222 said:

I found myself in a similar quandry as OP and I have to second the Sup Crit Strikes slotting. I don’t have facts to back it, but it feels like it procs often, despite dmg auras being theoretically bad proc abilities, and I notice it going off even on ST like you said. It maybe sub optimal, but it does indeed work.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, Generator said:

Wouldn't it also occasionally knock the enemies down?

On 10/4/2019 at 1:40 PM, Vanden said:

Yup.

Avalanche might be another set to consider 5-6 slotting. It has a KD proc as well. I 5'd OForce in Spine Burst, 5'd Scrapper's in Quills (since proc is global), 6'd Critical in Ripper, and 6'd Avalanche in Icicles. - Note, none of my PBAoE's are using normal PBAoE sets... They're all rather underwhelming.

Death is the best debuff.

10 minutes ago, Eran Rist said:

Avalanche might be another set to consider 5-6 slotting. It has a KD proc as well. I 5'd OForce in Spine Burst, 5'd Scrapper's in Quills (since proc is global), 6'd Critical in Ripper, and 6'd Avalanche in Icicles. - Note, none of my PBAoE's are using normal PBAoE sets... They're all rather underwhelming.

The knockdown proc is really just a side benefit; the endurance cost reduction and KB protection are what I'm there for.

Also, no good PBAoE sets? Obliteration is amazing! Accuracy, recharge, and melee defense, all in one set. Pity the end reduction is only 18% or so.

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

The knockdown proc is really just a side benefit; the endurance cost reduction and KB protection are what I'm there for.

Also, no good PBAoE sets? Obliteration is amazing! Accuracy, recharge, and melee defense, all in one set. Pity the end reduction is only 18% or so.

Underwhelming, not necessarily bad. Definitely trash for damage aura's, though. Virtually no EndRed in most PBAoE sets.

Death is the best debuff.

11 hours ago, Vanden said:

Sure, great set, but that 18% just makes it not-great for a damage toggle.

5 hours ago, Generator said:

Sure, great set, but that 18% just makes it not-great for a damage toggle.

Likewise, Superior Critical Strikes is high on recharge/low on end reduction. And, while you can get the proc with just the 6th piece, you have to slot the entire set if you want the great recharge bonus. So, idk, I’m thinking of just maximizing acc/dmg/end like I was going to originally if slotting damage procs really isn’t a good option.

Edit:  I looked at it a bit more and came up with this example - slotting the full multi strike set would result in a ~100% damage increase. Slotting the acc/dmg, dmg/end, and acc/dmg/end options would be ~75% damage increase (although you do lose a decent amount of end reduction, if that’s a major concern), then you could slot three damage procs, each of which gives a 30% chance to do ~75 damage to each enemy every 10 seconds, so 90% cumulative chance (sorry if my basic maths is wrong :P)?  That would seem to be better than 25% more base damage?  For the sake of argument, ignore set bonuses. 

Edited by dtj714
More information

Death Shroud at base does 12.51 damage per tick (every 2 seconds). To lose 25% damage (100% vs. 75%) means you lose 3.1275 damage per tick. Over 10 seconds (5 ticks) that's a loss of 15.6375.

Every 10 seconds, a damage aura will have a chance to proc. With a 3.5 PPM proc (71.75 damage per proc), you will have a probability to proc of:

3.5×10/60/(1+0.15×0.75x8) = 30.7%

The expected damage every 10 seconds becomes 71.75×0.307 = 22.02 damage.

So if you only care about damage, then using procs are more helpful than getting that last 25% of damage boost.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

13 hours ago, Bopper said:

Death Shroud at base does 12.51 damage per tick (every 2 seconds). To lose 25% damage (100% vs. 75%) means you lose 3.1275 damage per tick. Over 10 seconds (5 ticks) that's a loss of 15.6375.

Every 10 seconds, a damage aura will have a chance to proc. With a 3.5 PPM proc (71.75 damage per proc), you will have a probability to proc of:

3.5×10/60/(1+0.15×0.75x8) = 30.7%

The expected damage every 10 seconds becomes 71.75×0.307 = 22.02 damage.

So if you only care about damage, then using procs are more helpful than getting that last 25% of damage boost.

Yea, but in my example it’s 3 procs vs. fully slotting multistrike, so it’s actually 66 damage from procs (on average) vs. 16 from an extra 25% base increase - a clear winner (unless slotting multiple procs somehow changes the rules). So idk why (some) people say don’t slot damage procs in auras.

3 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

Yea, but in my example it’s 3 procs vs. fully slotting multistrike, so it’s actually 66 damage from procs (on average) vs. 16 from an extra 25% base increase - a clear winner (unless slotting multiple procs somehow changes the rules). So idk why (some) people say don’t slot damage procs in auras.

Yup, that is correct. So if 6 slotting a toggle (which is a big investment), the question becomes how much do you value the damage over the set bonuses (4-6 in this case). 

As for why people dont like to slot in auras? It depends, I suppose. 10 seconds is a long time to wait for a proc if you are railroading mobs (but if you're railroading mobs, do you care?). Also, there is no exploitation with toggles like what you can do with long click powers. You can have enough global recharge to proc out a click power for reliable DPS, you dont get that with toggles.

Finally, let's go back to those 3 slots you spend on the aura. Does 66 damage per 10 seconds per target (6.6 dps/tgt) make it worth it to spend 3 slots on? Depends on your build. With some builds being so tight, it might be too difficult to squeeze out that little bit of extra dps.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn