Giant Monster v AV

Yomo Kimyata

GM's have higher "effective" HP, and thus higher "effective" regen rates.  It takes MUCH more DPS to overcome a GM's natural regen rate then it does to overcome an AV's regen rate.  (Note, I say "effective" because lower level GMs may actually have have lower hp then a high level AV, but your damage is scaled down to match their level).

Also, generally GMs have more AoE attacks but that's just an observation, not a rule.

That's off the top of my head, but I'm sure other people have more details.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Far as the old Dev Team's theory on the differences between these enemies is an AV was a foe meant to be faced by at least 5-6 heroes on a team to defeat. They were seen in missions and normally you could only take them on with a team of 8 heroes. Were normally used to mark the climax of a story arc, and bring about memorable moments on the achievement of taking down an oppressive opponent. They were also about the size of your own hero so they could fit in any location. Giant Monsters are exactly that, towering titans to tackle. Could be any size and gave the Team some room to get a bit more creative on design, and what they could do. Fortunately, most of them were "happy" enough to be sequestered to largely unpopulated areas. Think GM's were originally meant to need about 12 heroes to drive them back into hiding. This was back in the day LONG before League's were even thought of so it'd take a coordinated effort between at least 2 teams communicating over Broadcast to help insure all combatants would get the credit as many of them rewarded a badge. 

Ah yes. Defeating the Kraken.

One...

Tentacle...

At...

A...

Time!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Ah, of course. Sorry, my forgettory is still working!

• Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 4 weeks later
3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of DPS is needed to take a GM down?  Something like "you need 300 dps in order to break even with their regeneration, not counting debuffs"?

I'm not sure there is a rule TBH. For instance two GMs I have tried to triple box regularly are Eochai and Jack. Eochai is doable once you have the debuffs locked in (3x Fire/Rad). Takes a good while but basically a walk over. Jack... well someone is a walk over and it's not him TBH. Yet both spawn in the same zone so should have a similar base level.

• Like 1

A standard level 50 GM has about 70k HP and regenerates 5% of that every 10 seconds, so you need ~350 DPS to break even with no debuff.

As GMs get lower in their (hidden) level they have significantly lower HP. So even though your damage also scales down, their own regen takes a bigger hit.

For example, I know from experience ~250 DPS as a level 50 will let you beat Eochai or Jack in Croatoa without debuffs (Jack is indeed significantly harder).

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 1

Another difference of note is mez protection. AVs have base mez protection equal to a Boss, but most have the Purple Triangles of Doom which grants them +50 mag mez protection vs everything except sleep and immobilize for 2/3 of the fight.

GMs, on the other hand, have very high base mez protection (I want to say around mag 70-ish? Somebody correct me) but usually not PToD (Jack being a notable exception).

Oddly enough, Elite Bosses have higher base mez protection than AVs, which means that when you face a downgraded AV as an EB with purple triangles, they’re harder to mez than the true AV would have been.

Purple Triangles of Doom!   Yet another of the many many things I once knew about this game that I have completely forgotten.   

Three months from coming back and I still find new "old memories" every day... good lord this is such a great game.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

21 hours ago, The_Cheeseman said:

Another difference of note is mez protection. AVs have base mez protection equal to a Boss, but most have the Purple Triangles of Doom which grants them +50 mag mez protection vs everything except sleep and immobilize for 2/3 of the fight.

GMs, on the other hand, have very high base mez protection (I want to say around mag 70-ish? Somebody correct me) but usually not PToD (Jack being a notable exception).

Oddly enough, Elite Bosses have higher base mez protection than AVs, which means that when you face a downgraded AV as an EB with purple triangles, they’re harder to mez than the true AV would have been.

Gold star for you.  It is indeed 70ish (76 to be precise) with an exception for sleeps which tend to be mag 11.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130902224630/http://www.culex.us/ig/coh/CHres.xls

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, Hedgefund said:

Gold star for you.  It is indeed 70ish (76 to be precise) with an exception for sleeps which tend to be mag 11.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130902224630/http://www.culex.us/ig/coh/CHres.xls

Thanks! Glad I wasn't totally off, I haven't had to consider the exact value in years. Once I finished my dom's build, I just knew the number was not high enough for me to care. 😉