Tanking Lord Recluese

Mansome

Hi all, I recently saw a tanker tanking Recluese on the MLTF. Normally when I see people do this its a game of keep away until the red tower is down. But this time it was different. He just stood there and just taunted. His health bar didn't appear to move at all. Normally when I see someone try to do this they get 1 shotted and there ends up being a team wipe within 10 seconds. My question is how is a tanker with the radiation primary able to stand toe to toe with Recluese and not get 1 shotted before the red tower is down? I have seen granite tankers get 1 shotted so I am trying to figure this out.

He probably had very high defenses. Any hits he did take were probably mitigated by healing/absorbing/regen/etc. Also, he was probably an Incarnate, with al the extra goodies that brings.

Also, I -think- the HC version of LR isn't as strong as the Live version was. I remember a few folks and I did the TF with master settings and beat it easily, and this was when HC had only been live for about a few weeks. We weren't even fully incarnated yet or anything. It was a bit underwhelming.

It's not all that hard to do with a good set, I've done it with Invuln dozens of times.  Here's my method:

I start with an Invuln tanker who's soft capped to S/L/E damage at 45%, and 90% S/L resist.  While Red is up I pop a couple of oranges to bring Energy resist up to ~90% and keep a purple active to maintain ~75% defense... Yellow buffs his To Hit.  Once Red is down I let the Orange expire and maintain the purple until Yellow dies, although it's much less vital once Red is gone.  Once Yellow drops tanking him isn't much tougher than a normal AV so I'm golden at that point.  I always carry a big blue in case he gets lucky with his end drain attack and a couple of big greens if he gets a solid hit in and Dull Pain isn't recharged.  More often than not I don't need them but if I do I REALLY need them.  He CAN'T one shot a tanker with near capped resistance even with the Red tower buff; he CAN two shot you which is why I carry a couple of green candies.  I've only once had him nail me twice in a row through soft capped (75% with Yellow tower) defenses so it can happen that the RNG just decides it hates you today.

I would assume that Rad tanker likely has nearly 90% resistance to S/L/E damage without any candy and likely a good chunk of defense on top of it.  With some Purple help he shouldn't have any problems.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

He probably had very high defenses. Any hits he did take were probably mitigated by healing/absorbing/regen/etc. Also, he was probably an Incarnate, with al the extra goodies that brings.

Also, I -think- the HC version of LR isn't as strong as the Live version was. I remember a few folks and I did the TF with master settings and beat it easily, and this was when HC had only been live for about a few weeks. We weren't even fully incarnated yet or anything. It was a bit underwhelming.

I don't think LR has been tweaked any; the reason it's easier now is because most people running it are Incarnates.  I'd bet they're going to be 50+1 level, have an Alpha slot to boost them, possibly a Destiny Barrier or Rebirth contributing to durability.  I probably ran the STF a hundred times on Live and I've made about a dozen runs here on Homecoming.

• Like 1

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

As someone who has tanked Lord Recluse like that, I can guess they had softcapped defense (something like 75% when he's buffed by the pylons) and 90% S/L/E resists.  They were probably using Radiation Armor, which has a nice self-absorb.  That would explain why you didn't see their health move.  When they got hit, it probably damaged their grey bar instead of the green bar.  It is also possible they were just defense-based and healed back any damage they took before you noticed.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:09 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

Yellow buffs his To Hit. 

Actually, Blue buffs his ToHit.   A good thing to remember when trying to tank him on a Defense-based set, although in my experience this is not well-known and some teams will not listen as a result.

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

4 hours ago, Justaris said:

Actually, Blue buffs his ToHit.   A good thing to remember when trying to tank him on a Defense-based set, although in my experience this is not well-known and some teams will not listen as a result.

I guess it's been too long since I looked into that; I'd thought blue was speed boost for him and endurance.  I haven't looked at the list since shutdown and I guess my memory was failing... and also, "Get off my lawn!" 🙂

Spoiler

On 10/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

I don't think LR has been tweaked any; the reason it's easier now is because most people running it are Incarnates.  I'd bet they're going to be 50+1 level, have an Alpha slot to boost them, possibly a Destiny Barrier or Rebirth contributing to durability.  I probably ran the STF a hundred times on Live and I've made about a dozen runs here on Homecoming.

T4 Barrier helps a lot, but if it's a master run I will want to make sure I am getting some sort of buffs from a defender, controller, or corruptor on the team.  I also hoard large purples and oranges for this purpose.  Never learned to execute the method of glitching Recluse by flying, and the jet pack does not seem to be fast enough for this either. 

Master runs tend to fail on Ghost Widow, since bad luck against her can result in a very long forced AFK. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Hover-tanking: Basically, beyond a certain point between the two posts in front of the Arachnos building, you're JUST outside of LR's range.
You can grab his agro, hover up there and he spends all his time trying to get at you.  Simply Taunt when he jumps up at you.

Glitched hover-tanking (tether abuse).
LR ALSO has a tether.  So you can't lure him all the way back out anyplace (this is probably because in some cases he might run someplace and get stuck).
Found this out on a Fire^3 blaster...
Basically grab his aggro and essentially fly up to the first mezzanine on the Arachnos building.
He'll actually jump that far trying to get at you.

Warning, spoiler image contains profanity.  But funny as hell!

Spoiler

8vKg9.jpg

Anyhow, once he hits the top of his arc, his tether with TP him back down to the deck and he'll come after you again.
Again, snipe him while he's jumping at you.

• Haha 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 3 months later
On 10/21/2019 at 5:38 AM, Hyperstrike said:

Anyhow, once he hits the top of his arc, his tether with TP him back down to the deck and he'll come after you again.
Again, snipe him while he's jumping at you.

You know Hyper, I was running an STF years ago, not long after they added his tether when we tried the hover tanking method.  He jumped up to the balcony, jumped up to the next ledge and then stood there doing nothing at all.  It was the easiest kill we ever had even though we had a couple of characters without any method of vertical travel.  The tower buffs dropped off of him, his AI went for a cup of coffee and his avatar ignored everything.

In all the STF's I ran before or since I never had that happen again.  We took the win of course, and reported the glitch afterwards.

• Like 1

Spoiler

On 10/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, Mansome said:

Hi all, I recently saw a tanker tanking Recluese on the MLTF. Normally when I see people do this its a game of keep away until the red tower is down. But this time it was different. He just stood there and just taunted. His health bar didn't appear to move at all. Normally when I see someone try to do this they get 1 shotted and there ends up being a team wipe within 10 seconds. My question is how is a tanker with the radiation primary able to stand toe to toe with Recluese and not get 1 shotted before the red tower is down? I have seen granite tankers get 1 shotted so I am trying to figure this out.

Thats how i do it, on my Shield/SJ Invul/SS FIre/Fire tanks and also my Rad/Elec Psi/Elec Rad/Rad brutes.

I just sit there and spam my T1 attack, i never have any issues.

In fact when i was on a LGTF the other day and saw the keep away tactic i panicked because it looked kinda reckless expecially when the tanks health dropped below half lol

My tank Aggro King tanked him without him or my health moving.

Darkest Night + Capped Positional Did the trick.

My Taunt aura wasn't even on at the time (against all odds) It got detoggled as usual.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Aggro King +: Level 50 Technology Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Melee
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(3), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7)
Level 1: Scorch -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(7), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Hct-Acc/Rchg(9), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 2: True Grit -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(11), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(15)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), Rct-ResDam%(19), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(21)
Level 6: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Combustion -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(21), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 10: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 12: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(25), UnbGrd-ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(27)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(29), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(29), PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(31)
Level 20: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(31), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(31), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), ShlWal-Def(33)
Level 22: Phalanx Fighting -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(33), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(34), ShlWal-Def(34)
Level 24: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(34), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(36), AdjTrg-Rchg(36)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Arm-Acc/Rchg(37), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 28: Fire Sword Circle -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), ShlWal-Def(42)
Level 32: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 35: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Rchg(43), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(45)
Level 38: Greater Fire Sword -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(45), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(45), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-Slow%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(48), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(48), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Summon Widow -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(50), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 47: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Mighty Total Radial Judgement
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment
Level 50: Cimeroran Total Radial Improved Ally
Level 50: Paralytic Total Radial Conversion
Level 50: Barrier Total Core Invocation
Level 50: Resilient Total Core Revamp
------------

On 10/20/2019 at 8:20 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

I guess it's been too long since I looked into that; I'd thought blue was speed boost for him and endurance.  I haven't looked at the list since shutdown and I guess my memory was failing... and also, "Get off my lawn!" 🙂

To be fair, CMA, it's not like CoH has very specific color for inspirations and the like indicating buffs to To Hit, Damage, Resistance, etc. I do wonder if the devs did this on purpose to obfuscate what the various towers did... 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sarrate said:

To be fair, CMA, it's not like CoH has very specific color for inspirations and the like indicating buffs to To Hit, Damage, Resistance, etc. I do wonder if the devs did this on purpose to obfuscate what the various towers did... 🤔

I'm not sure it would have been intentional, it could have simply been an oversight.  We know the Devs at the time weren't exactly married to the concept of consistency.  We did have Red = damage and Green = heal/regen.  I guess it made too much sense for Blue = endurance/SB and Yellow = To Hit.

If it were still Jack at the helm then it's anyone's guess, but I believe Positron had taken over by the time the STF came about.  I think they just tossed the buffs out without considering the tower color for the Blue & Yellow.  The old "never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance or incompetence" and we had quite a revolving door of Devs at the time.

• Like 2

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

The old "never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance or incompetence"

Oh sure, and perhaps I didn't phrase my post quite right. I wasn't speculating whether it was malicious on their part, rather, them trying to be crafty / intentionally unclear to keep players on their toes.

It's really just idle musing on my part. "The orange tower would be a much more consistent choice to place a tohit buff, so what could explain their decision? Hmm, I wonder..." type thing.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 10:33 PM, Sarrate said:

Oh sure, and perhaps I didn't phrase my post quite right. I wasn't speculating whether it was malicious on their part, rather, them trying to be crafty / intentionally unclear to keep players on their toes.

It's really just idle musing on my part. "The orange tower would be a much more consistent choice to place a tohit buff, so what could explain their decision? Hmm, I wonder..." type thing.

1589125649_Capture_2020-02-04-12-19-02.thumb.png.4aa86e8061a4672b93627c53225b6066.png

How bout that.

This is pretty standard now. In a world where Brutes are built for +4/x8 farms the build theory and tools have expanded enough for a Tank to just walk right up to Recluse and pick his nose

i had a new incarnate on Lambda trial last night that survived Nova fist 3of 4 times. It was close each time and i finally started jumping away. Once at + 3 prob wont even jumo away anymore. Have to see