Making the most out of Dimension shift

Andrewvm

I play a grav/storm and respecced recently into Dimesion Shift.

I have a feeling that this could be a very powerful tool, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

It's great to soak up the alpha of a mob and then rush in and attack, but summoning the stormcloud, freezing rain and tornado seem to have varying results.

also, the duration seems short?

Anyone have tips, strategies and tidbits of knowlegde and wisdom?

(and yes, I know not to block a mob from your teammates this way.....)

On live I had a Grav/FF with Dimensional Shift, I used it for agro control when agro goes way out of control.

Scrapper gets bored, agros another group and people start dieing, pop it at the new group. They are out of the fight for a few minutes.

Only have one tank and he gets Alphaed, pop it. You get time to let the tank Rez and get back in the fight.

Only down side, if your team doesn't know to switch targets, they end up attacking an untouchable enemy.

Edited by wrongholecohv

With Grav/Storm, I believe the preferred tactic is to use Wormhole to TP everyone into a corner, use Hurricane to keep them in the corner, and then use all the other tools to cause mayhem... with Dimensional Shift as a panic button or an uh-oh another group of mobs aggroed and I'm not ready button...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

56 minutes ago, wrongholecohv said:

Only down side, if your team doesn't know to switch targets, they end up attacking an untouchable enemy.

You can fight the enemies if you enter the phased area. From I22 patch notes: "Dimension Shift is a 20-second, location-based toggle that immobilizes enemies, and phases both allies and enemies, in the area. All characters in the area are free to attack enemies (and are attackable by enemies). Characters can choose to stay safe outside the location, or to move between phases. The toggle can be prematurely turned off to remove the phase effect early. Recharge time reduced from 90 seconds to 60 seconds."

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 hours ago, Andrewvm said:

also, the duration seems short?

There's a reason for this. The power used to be just like Black Hole, you cast it on a group and they became intangible and stuck in place and the duration was quite long... I'm not succeeding on looking that up right now but I feel like it was 30-45 seconds or something like that. The upshot was if you used it as an emergency button everything else would die and then people would have to stand there... waiting...and waiting. So quite late in the game it got changed to a toggle so you could turn it off early if you wanted, I guess, and also lowered to 20 seconds because that's plenty of time really; but also made into a mini "phantom zone"  so you could just go in and attack them if you wanted. Really it's incredibly flexible now, it's just real different than most controls. It's more like an ice patch that makes things fall down over and over … total lockdown outside the typical mezz system. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

3 minutes ago, Erydanus said:

, it's just real different than most controls.

exactly why I chose to respec into it.

as an oh-sh!  power it's great, but i'd rather use it as a regular addition to my control, just because I can actually.

That's why i'm asking for tactics and tips.

3 hours ago, Andrewvm said:

That's why i'm asking for tactics and tips.

The power can be slotted with both the Controller AT-O and Immob sets since it causes an immobilization when it captures everything. It has no appreciable limit to how many things can exist inside its radius, so the best thing you can do to be both a "control" and a source of mild damage would be to Wormhole together two groups, and then drop the Dimension Shift on the entire mass.

Slot the shift with the Controller AT-O (Will of the Controller), 5-pieces, and 6th slot place the Trap of the Hunter damage proc. Now I know that'd be pricey to just run and do, so you can hodge-podge Rech (x2) and an End IO, but the bonus from that set is really good, especially when catalyzed, but the key piece is the damage proc from there; if you can get the two damage procs in that power, you'll see it do some crazy things. The first activation will usually hit quite a few (if not potentially all, but usually at least half, with both procs), and then it'll trigger a second hit 10/s later.

If you have enough global recharge to get into the 150-160 range, that power will recharge in ~25/s, with the AT-O in there, closer to ~20/s, which makes the power "perma," or in most players cases accessible on a regular spawn-to-spawn basis.

Oh, and Wormhole, get the KB>KD (the converting IO, not the Overwhelming one, that's wasted here), Force Feedback +Rech, and a slot or two for Acc/Rech and the two abilities will be up nearly at the same time. When you use Wormhole with that FF+Rech proc, it's nearly guaranteed to go off which'll super-charge Wormhole's recharge for the last few seconds to keep the two powers in-line.

Perform the combo on top of whoever's on point for the team, and most will likely not even realize you're doing it. It softens up two mobs together, immobs them together, and hits double the body count for a solid amount of damage. You can also drop pets and other TAoE effects inside the Shift when you yourself are outside of it. Or, if you use it as a panic button before Wormhole, you can Wormhole additional bodies INTO the Shift.

It's also really amusing to Wormhole > Shift > Tornado and watch it tear apart everything inside, the mobs completely helpless.

3 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

. You can also drop pets and other TAoE effects inside the Shift when you yourself are outside of it.

Are you sure? My. Preliminary tests seemed to indicate that didn't work.... 

I'll have to do more testing

1 hour ago, Andrewvm said:

Are you sure? My. Preliminary tests seemed to indicate that didn't work.... 

I'll have to do more testing

If it is a cast effect that requires you to select a point on the ground, yes. I did it repeatedly when testing combinations between Wormhole and Dimension Shift. I wanted to know specifically if I could Shift a group and then Wormhole another group into it, and what would happen to that group after the fact. I also tested other Location-Based TAoE effects too. The game doesn't summon that object as sourced from you, it kind of... pulls it up from out of subsurface, or spawns it exclusively there, and if that 'there' is inside the shift, than so be it.

I suppose I did unintentionally generalize targeted-aoe, I don't mean things that you target, and then cast on to, it has to be specifically stuff you get a ground reticle and click, to spawn something in that location. Apologies for the confusion on that part.

IMO it would be a better power if it lasted longer than 20 to 30 seconds or however long.  I usually skip it as is.  Most times I would have cast it just confuses team members and they blow long cooldowns on enemies they can't hit, then it drops during the middle of the action when I need it most.

Seems like it might be a good power for PVP when you're on discord and can voice chat with your team.  But yeah, in PVE whenever someone activates a phase shift or dimensional shift, you don't realize it right away and start blowing your powers on mobs you can't touch.  Hopefully your teammates realize what's going on and adjust accordingly, but usually a few don't understand.

Edited by bartwart

6 hours ago, bartwart said:

Seems like it might be a good power for PVP when you're on discord and can voice chat with your team.  But yeah, in PVE whenever someone activates a phase shift or dimensional shift, you don't realize it right away and start blowing your powers on mobs you can't touch.  Hopefully your teammates realize what's going on and adjust accordingly, but usually a few don't understand.

Except for the fact you can use it in the exact opposite way and Shift your team WITH the enemy spawn, and isolate them from everything else going on, and thus the outside mobs are wasting their attacks on something they can't hit. Players can freely move in and out of the Shift while it's active. The reason mobs on the inside don't leave is because they instantly get snagged into an Immobilize.

• Thanks 1