pvp only accolades

Firi

On 8/29/2019 at 11:22 PM, Razor Cure said:

But what WOULD they be? All the current accolades work just fine in pvp (mostly). Having pvp only accolades would just serve to widen the gap between the hardcore 'Io'd to the gills with purps and pvp set' crowd, and the rest. Although Id hazard a guess there is a lot less casual pvping now, compared to Live. ANd if the only worked in pvp..that is even less incentive for casual players to actually go out and get them (assuming they were earned via pvp?).

Exactly what he said. PVP in COH is already super broken and we don't need to give it any serious attention right now.

Sorry, for a second there I thought the trolling of PvP might be wrapping up on this thread, my bad...

Can we just back to dupin’ rares?

*pops corn for day 2 of this*

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Okay, as the GM asked us, can we all just chill the... heck out and take stock?

It sounds like we are in broad agreement - assuming, for the moment, that it is technically possible - on giving all characters in PvP zones buffs equivalent to certain sought-after accolades, without actually granting the accolades and the badges that go with them.  (This may seem to some to be obvious and not worth mentioning, or an irrelevant distinction, but it clearly is to others.)  Is that an accurate and fair statement?

10 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

Sorry, for a second there I thought the trolling of PvP might be wrapping up on this thread, my bad...

I guess I don't get why PvP should be sacrosanct and exempt from criticism? Everyone including the PvP players will gladly tell you how flawed the pvp is in CoH. It has its appeal for certain people but the whole system is fundamentally flawed and broken. Indicating that people shouldn't criticize it won't change that.

Slapping band-aids on a system that's been completely disemboweled is a waste of band-aids.

People should not be straight up trolling, but there is no reason that the community shouldn't be free to make their views and preferences known on the directions the game should take. We're all part of the community, our voice is just as valid as the pvp players right?

• Like 1

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

1 minute ago, Razor Cure said:

No. I still don't see why they should get accolades for nothing. Or, if they do, are PVP recipes gonna suddenly become non-pvp, giving 12 bonus stats in pve? It is basically the same thing.

The accolades would only work in pvp zones. HP/end accolades are already mandatory to do well in pvp zones because of the high damage. It will not affect pve at all, you will still have to get the badges to get accolades to work anywhere outside of pvp zones.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

No. I still don't see why they should get accolades for nothing. Or, if they do, are PVP recipes gonna suddenly become non-pvp, giving 12 bonus stats in pve? It is basically the same thing.

The PvP recipes are already available to get outside of PvP three ways. So your objection is unreasonable since you're asking for more catering than has already been done. 

4 minutes ago, M3z said:

The accolades would only work in pvp zones. HP/end accolades are already mandatory to do well in pvp zones because of the high damage. It will not affect pve at all, you will still have to get the badges to get accolades to work anywhere outside of pvp zones.

It is still some really great powers for ZERO work. Simply cause you don't like pve! Again, why don't my pvp IOs work in pve? Because I don't like pvp at all (which is a lie, but you get the idea). I want all those extra bonus stats for nothing. Seems fair, right?

2 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

The PvP recipes are already available to get outside of PvP three ways. So your objection is unreasonable since you're asking for more catering than has already been done. 

Oh, more catering..like accolades just being handed out in pvp zones..for free? Same thing. Does that make their request unreasonable too?

It is still some really great powers for ZERO work. Simply cause you don't like pve! Again, why don't my pvp IOs work in pve? Because I don't like pvp at all (which is a lie, but you get the idea). I want all those extra bonus stats for nothing. Seems fair, right?

I guess it can just be seen as a general "buff" if that makes you feel better...

Don't know why you are so opinionated on something you don't do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M3z said:

Aside from "I don't want to do the content" why is this change needed?

I need incarnates slotted for many of the later iTrials or else I suffer a massive debuff. Should I get those for free just because I don't want to grind content for incarnate mats?

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

1 minute ago, M3z said:

I guess it can just be seen as a general "buff" if that makes you feel better...

Don't know why you are so opinionated on something you don't do.

You mean in the same way that PVP'rs say pve is boring and easy? Why do you have opinions on pve, when you don't do it?

You mean in the same way that PVP'rs say pve is boring and easy? Why do you have opinions on pve, when you don't do it?

Mez levels his characters the old-fashioned way and occasionally streams the process. Just thought you should know.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 minute ago, macskull said:

Mez levels his characters the old-fashioned way and occasionally streams the process. Just thought you should know.

Well good for him. How many other pvp'rs do that? I did plenty of pvp back in the day, but now the game is back, that is far on the backburner. Besides, I don't think someone not pvping means they cannot state that getting great powers for nothing is too easy.

Also, if he does level up in pve..why does he need auto-accolades? At teh very least he would have TFC, Atlas and PoJo, mostly done.

I can understand you not wanting to spend more time in pve Mac, since you dislike it, and that;s fair enough. But if he is doing it anyway..

33 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Exactly what he said. PVP in COH is already super broken and we don't need to give it any serious attention right now.

This attitude is counterproductive and makes no sense - aren't the things that are broken the things that should get the most attention?

11 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

...You do know that PvP IOs work in PvE, right? They still enhance the power they're slotted in, and they provide set bonuses in PvE. Hell, they even have the extra benefit of keeping set bonuses when you exemplar without being catalyzed. There's been discussion on PvP IOs already in this thread - if they only dropped from player enemies and were untradeable then you'd have a point. Even on live, though, you could get them off the market so there was never any requirement to PvP to get them. On the Homecoming servers you can even purchase them from merit vendors or get them as drops from NPCs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Oh, more catering..like accolades just being handed out in pvp zones..for free? Same thing. Does that make their request unreasonable too?

No, because the PvE crowd has already been catered to by way of those recipes being dropped in PvE content, purchaseable via merit vendor, and via the auction house. So it's already been done. Therefore, it's fair if the PvP crowd gets something too. You asking for even more for even the slightest bone being thrown to PvP is unreasonable.

These changes are targeted towards NEW players who might not know you need high HP in zones/arena. I don't mind doing accolades, this would be a change so newer players have an easier time competing because of their higher HP. They would still need IOs/incarnates etc.

Because hp/end accolades are basically mandatory that's why we make this suggestion.

Like I said, I don't mind doing accolades, I even made a video tutorial about doing them and have done them 10+ times already lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MunkiLord said:

No, because the PvE crowd has already been catered to by way of those recipes being dropped in PvE content, purchaseable via merit vendor, and via the auction house. So it's already been done. Therefore, it's fair if the PvP crowd gets something too. You asking for even more for even the slightest bone being thrown to PvP is unreasonable.

Please listen to what I am actually saying. I have NO issue with the main accolades being earnable in pvp. EARN. Got it? Not handed out for nothing. I can quote you right there in face..wanting something for nothing, is kinda unreasonable.

Also..say I spend 30 mins a week in pvp, surely that means I am now a casual pvp'r, and allll my pvp IOs should be giving there full list of stats when I pve. Cause..not getting that somethnig for nothing, is, as you say, unreasonable.

1 minute ago, M3z said:

These changes are targeted towards NEW players who might not know you need high HP in zones/arena. I don't mind doing accolades, this would be a change so newer players have an easier time competing because of their higher HP. They would still need IOs/incarnates etc.

Because hp/end accolades are basically mandatory that's why we make this suggestion.

Like I said, I don't mind doing accolades, I even made a video tutorial about doing them and have done them 10+ times already lol.

This. I support this idea..getting NEW players into pvp. But, it is totally unrealistic. Back on Live, after the BIG pvp changes (travel sup, damage tweaks, etc, I forget the Issue), many people I know gave up on PVP. Granted, none were the super hardcore crowd, but the amount of difference just killed it for them. ANd they never went back.

Likewise, even now, if MrNewPvP suddenly hears about getting free accolades in a pvp zone (also, assuming he does NOT already have them from doing his pve, rendering the entire idea of getting new players into pvp, moot), who is to say his build can hack it?

I know from my time pvping, how few builds are actually viable, and how an even smaller subset are actually top tier. And all those builds 'require' a stack of pvp IOs, purples, boosted IOs (i am assuming thats what nearly all dedicated pvp builds have). The odds of a pve'er having pvp IOs? Pretty damn slim. More likely his build would be totally inappropiate, and some tricked out (Insert FoTM here) would just utterly spank him. Even WITH a few more hp from those accolades.

Granted, that may encourage him to look more into pvp, and that would be awesome. But speaking from experience, it is more likely to have him go 'wtf, all me powers are different, blow this,' and go back to what he enjoys.

3 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Please listen to what I am actually saying. I have NO issue with the main accolades being earnable in pvp. EARN. Got it? Not handed out for nothing. I can quote you right there in face..wanting something for nothing, is kinda unreasonable.

Also..say I spend 30 mins a week in pvp, surely that means I am now a casual pvp'r, and allll my pvp IOs should be giving there full list of stats when I pve. Cause..not getting that somethnig for nothing, is, as you say, unreasonable.

I've listened, and you haven't said anything that has caused me to rethink my previous stance. PvE is already catered to. PvP asking for a little help is reasonable. And almost all those against it are against it simply because they don't like PvP.

2 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Every AT gets some amount of base damage resistance simply for existing in a PvP environment, ostensibly in the name of balance, so the precedent already exists.

• Like 1