Tuatha = men

ooGloryoo

I'm sorry about the bad screen shot, I'm not very good at them...

I was running my lil squishy blaster/time lady about Croat., doing missions and I gotta kill all the Tuatha. I happened to notice they all have giant leaves dangling in one area - all Tuatha are men?

2020-01-06 (1).png

2020-01-06.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldskool said:

Sure, why not?

I attribute everything there to artistic license since the Tuatha were not hideous man-beasts in Irish folklore.  For that matter, the Fir Bolg weren't twig-people with pumpkin heads either. 

To be fair, in the CoH lore both were cursed by the Red Caps into their present forms.

The funny thing to me is that I came in here expecting a discussion on etymology because the word Tuatha actually means “men/people”... literally “The Men/People of the gods of Danu (Danu probably derives from the PIE “flowing waters” denoting gods who came from overseas... i.e. foreign gods brought by settlers arriving in Ireland).

Likewise, Fir Bolg translates to “Men of Bags” and describes a group of migrants/settlers who came to Ireland and ruled it before the Tuatha de Danann arrived and displaced them (Irish myth is essentially telling the story of waves of immigrants displacing the former occupants of the Isles).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

The funny thing to me is that I came in here expecting a discussion on etymology because the word Tuatha actually means “men/people”... literally “The Men/People of the gods of Danu (Danu probably derives from the PIE “flowing waters” denoting gods who came from overseas... i.e. foreign gods brought by settlers arriving in Ireland).

Not quite.  Fir means men, like literally that's the translation. 

Tuath or Tuatha is a reference term of a collective.  It is both a defining aspect of collective terms (e.g., tribe, folk, people, nation) and a place (e.g., countryside, nation, land).  Tuath Dé is Old Irish for "People of the Gods/Goddess".  Dé is a reference to the divine.  Danann is a specific deity being mentioned.  Old Irish its Danu.  Modern Irish Dana.  Sometimes it is found as Donann, Dianann, and the like.  It still references the same ancient mother goddess of divine beings.  So final translation is "folk/people/tribe of the goddess Danu". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hate to tell you but women have naughty bits down there too. They might still all be MALE, but could be TDD women got no boobs to speak of. Or possibility 3 is they are enither one and instead have got some kind of Chthonic writhing mass of tentacles down there of which they do not speak.

Only way to find out is to offer one a hand job and see what happens.

While there is no way in Shub Nigaurot that I'm volunteering for THAT mission, I await YOUR further updates with a mixture of intrigue and terror.

Edited by quixoteprog
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

(Irish myth is essentially telling the story of waves of immigrants displacing the former occupants of the Isles).

The collection of Irish myths was called Lebor Gabála Érenn.  Literal translation is "The Book of the Taking of Ireland" but it is generally translated as The Book of Invasions

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

To be fair, in the CoH lore both were cursed by the Red Caps into their present forms.

Likewise, Fir Bolg translates to “Men of Bags” and describes a group of migrants/settlers who came to Ireland and ruled it before the Tuatha de Danann arrived and displaced them (Irish myth is essentially telling the story of waves of immigrants displacing the former occupants of the Isles).

While its certainly debated, from my own study of the topic most seem to agree that the celts who lived along the danube is the source of the word. And has nothing to do with gods from over seas. Keep in mind the celts are the first wave of invasive migrants from europe to hit the isles of the modern UK. The original settlers will sadly remain a major mystery as much as those tribes in the americas that got wiped out by the new plagues brought by the various foreign travelers.

We know of  a whopping one modern britain who had DNA traved to the oldest known set of remains called chedder man. Who was among those ancient brits some 8 or 9 thousand years ago. Then came wave one of the germaic tribes as the romans would collectively refer to the peoples of central europe. Then came the romans, who after they left then saw wave after wave of their own cousins, all peoples of largely celtic ancestry. Even shamanic traditions like the druids are not native to the isles of the UK. Basically there was a people on those islands that likely lived in ways very much alike the tribes of the americas. they had lived largely undisturbed for many centuries. then came wave after wave of people from the mainland.

There is so much overlap between the various celtic influenced cultures it tends to make discussing the myths a real pick what you like system. For example you have the irish daoine sidhe, and the scottish daoi sith as a very simple way to highlight the similar word usage. And we dont even want to get into words like fae and fairy. which the tuatha are technically considered part of in myth traditions.

Needless to say though real world mythology can only be sued with a grain of salt for coh character concepts etc. I mean gods are a great example. Yes Zeus exists in CoH, Statesman is somehow connected with that entity, though the post jack/cryptic era of coh sotry rewrites and the concept of incarnates and the well has muddied the waters of that idea a fair bit. However the concept of how gods came into being in cohlore actually makes them sound a lot like the idea of fairy folk from the pov of them being more an intangible spirit. Such beings feeding upon human psychic energy is what created gods in coh.

I tend to see all the beings like the tuatha, fir bolg, and red caps as variants of humanity altered by magic and mutation. Same with the minataurs and cyclops.

My approach is to when starting with a real world myth basis try to look for comparable things in coh lore and ponder how the concept should be altered to better adapt to cohverse.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ooGloryoo said:

I'm sorry about the bad screen shot, I'm not very good at them...

I was running my lil squishy blaster/time lady about Croat., doing missions and I gotta kill all the Tuatha. I happened to notice they all have giant leaves dangling in one area - all Tuatha are men?

2020-01-06 (1).png

2020-01-06.png

Well Tuatha does mean "sons" I think,  any Gaelic speakers?

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

10 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

Well Tuatha does mean "sons" I think,  any Gaelic speakers?

Quite a few, actually. 🙂 I'm always surprised to find out how many people still speak the various Insular Celtic languages (Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, and Bretton). I can sorta get by in Scottish Gaelic, but I wouldn't call myself fluent by a long shot.

Tuath... changes quite a bit depending on which version of Gaelic you're speaking. As I understand it, Irish Gaelic tuath basically means 'rural' or 'the country', which comes from an older meaning of 'tribe'. In Scottish Gaelic it just means 'north'. I dunno about the rest of them, but that should give you an idea of how much the meaning shifts around. I believe the writers of this game meant to reference the myths of the Tuatha De Danann, which supposedly translates into 'Tribe of the Goddess Danu'. Many people think they're Irish-only, but cognates of these deities/heroes/whatevs wander around all the various Celtic peoples.

In any case, I'm not aware of any translations of Tuatha where it was supposed to represent just 'men', as in the male gender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FWIW my understanding is that *Fir Bolg* meant 'big bellied men',  They were giants in some versions and Eochaidh was their king.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291