Best solo spec?

ceto555

Hiya folks,

Looking to make a purely solo leveling troller. I want to be able to do missions without to much trouble and just enjoy the leveling experience. I hear good things about Illu/Rad and Dark/Time. Which of the two are better, or is there another combo thats better?

Thanks!

Well I can talk somewhat on Darkness/Time since mine impress me from an early level (when you are low level and having to fight 9-10 mobs due to set of mobs respawning right next to you and you put them all down) there is some potential.

Plus you do also get a big and nasty pet at level 32.

You do need to slot some recharge Enhancements since you want your powers back up quickly.

Darkness has lots of holds and Time does come with a Heal along with some buffing ability.

Mine is still only in her teens but I expect that once she gets up into her 30's she will be a great character for soloing.

Try plant.

The plant immobilize AE is the most damaging immobilize AE of all controllers, its actually good to slot for damage. The cone confusion is a really great opener. Carrion crawlers at 26 can be made almost permanent and are a constant damage source as well. Plus the fly trap is a very nice pet. Its a really nice complete set for AE damage. As a secondary use something like dark, rad or storm (or maybe poison) so you can debuff enemy resists, further enhancing your damage.

Try plant.

The plant immobilize AE is the most damaging immobilize AE of all controllers, its actually good to slot for damage. The cone confusion is a really great opener. Carrion crawlers at 26 can be made almost permanent and are a constant damage source as well. Plus the fly trap is a very nice pet. Its a really nice complete set for AE damage. As a secondary use something like dark, rad or storm (or maybe poison) so you can debuff enemy resists, further enhancing your damage.

Carrion crawler+tar patch ... i must try that

My vote of course is gravity / rad. All the usual single target and group controls, plus two extra damaging attacks and the best behaved pet. All the most crucial debuffs in rad and two extra holds.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Try plant.

Does the fly trap go mobile and follow you, or stay planted?

It is mobile --- or at least that is what I remember from having one 7 years ago.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Back in the day, Fire/kin and Ill/rad were the kings depending on what you wanted. My Ill/rad was the first support character which soloed on +4 while not being level 50(40 for that matter), and used nothing more than common IOs. Now, have any new sets made something which is better, that's up for debate. I think you can find a number of builds which will solo very well. I see no real issues coming from the Dark/dark I made.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

for killing av's and gm's it's going to be ill with dark or rad due to phantom army.

plant and dark are amazing for general play however as they can both neutralize the alpha entirely (seeds of confusion, fearsome stare - both come at level 8) and have good aoe damage (usually frankenslotting dmg proc io's in aoe immob powers)

Immobilized mobs can't be knockdown, right? I've started a plant/storm with the prospect of much flopping with the KD IO, but the group immobilize is good damage as well.

Immobilized mobs can't be knockdown, right? I've started a plant/storm with the prospect of much flopping with the KD IO, but the group immobilize is good damage as well.

Not all Controller Immobilizes are made equal, however Plant's Immobilize does in fact apply the Rooted effect which counters KB, KU, and Flying powers!  Plant/Storm is my main, Seeds>Roots>FR>Tornado>Lightning Storm melts all minions and Lts in a spawn.  Get enough global recharge and you can do that about every 20 seconds (LS isn't that fast, bu the first four are), which means by the time you're done casting you can start the chain again on the next spawn.

Also using set IOs, Plant/Storm can cap Ranged def without any purple sets (ranged AND AoE def with purples), and your hurricane takes care of your melee defense.  It's a pretty amazing combo.

my strongest trollers for solo are Dark/Poison (also works very well in PVP, as an aside)

Mind/Storm is highly survivable, but has low DPS so you would probably want to rely on a lot of temp powers to solo properly.

I've had great results with Fire/TA, which I found more suited to solo play than Fire/Rad or Fire/Kin because it offers better control than those, thus keeping the enemies off you.

Similarly Plant/TA is very strong. Come to think of it, Plant is a very underrated set.

Much is going to depend on your personal play style of course so go to town :)

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I'm up to 34 with my Fire/Dark and I'm soloing now at +0/8. I'm taking Fissure at 35 and as soon as I get it slotted I'm going to bump notoriety to +1/8 - likely +2 after I get the /Dark pet.

This is an insane soloing build if you know what to do.

Come to think of it, Plant is a very underrated set.

It gets a ton of love.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Thank you for all the responses. When you mention making pets perma, what do you mean by that? How do you make them perma?

Thanks!

Many pets are on a timer, have a finite lifespan, so need to be resummoned periodically. Phantom Army is one such example. To make it "perma" means to ensure you can summon it immediately the pets vanish and thus maintain continuity.

As to your original question, Earth/Rad might be a really good option - as might Earth/Poison. Earth has some of the best holds and a couple of useful debuffs too, but does little damage, but Rad and Poison are both great at debuffing mobs further, thus making your lack of damage less significant, especially if you use temp pets. Once you have Rocky of course, things get easier, and you can get a nice damaging Patron power too.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.