The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Implement Personal Supergroup Bases

Blackfeather

The Issue at Hand

With supergroup bases now being free to create, it's now much easier to create bases for personal use, be that for fleshing out a character (giving them a home of their own), a means of storing more salvage/enhancements, or a quick way of getting from place to place (via base teleporters). However, it comes at the limitation of not being able to join a 'proper' supergroup on that character.

Naturally, there is a workaround to this: creating an alt to manage the personal base for you, leaving your character free to join whichever supergroup they wish. While very serviceable, it does have its downsides. Namely:

• Entering your 'personal' base via a supergroup password becomes mandatory
  • Editing this base requires switching between your regular and alt character
  • You can't use the salvage/enhancement/inspiration storage facilities in said personal base

As such, I believe it would be a nice quality of life (i.e. low priority) improvement to let characters create their own personal bases, alongside being able to join a supergroup. This would be done with the aim of resolving the downsides above.

Potential Implementation Proposal

Personal bases would function as a 'stripped down' version of a supergroup - ranks would not be necessary, though emblems/colours might be optional. There would be no need for permissions outside of "which characters consider this their personal base"; this would give them sufficient permission to add storage, edit the base, etc. This has added benefit for users who want to create a personal base for multiple different characters, allowing them to gather them under one easily accessible place.

• I imagine this as a join code via slash commands. For example:
    • /joinpb password
      • Designates the personal base with this passcode as the one your character resides in
    • /sharepb password
      • Make your personal base joinable
  • Primarily for people with alts who want to have an umbrella base to join under. Definitely low priority, would be cool
  • This assumes that personal bases would be owned by default. Proposed alternatives welcome!

Entrance into the base for others would be through a password, similar to supergroup bases. I imagine that this would require the implementation of a different slash command, such as /pbpasscode password, to allow it to be set alongside a supergroup's. Those who enter via this means would be unable to access salvage racks, etc. similar to how supergroup bases function when entered via a password.

When selecting a base entry portal, the "Your Base" option would default to your personal base (if you had one), with the options underneath showing the actual supergroup(s) you've joined/coalitioned with.

Conclusion

This sounds like a rather complex thing to do, for fairly small quality of life benefits, but I'm putting it out here because it'd be a cool thing to discuss, and small as the benefits may be, they might be of interest to others. So with that, I leave a few questions:

• Are proper personal bases something you'd be interested in seeing?
    • If no, for what reasons are you opposed?
    • If yes, for what benefits do you support the idea for?
  • What do you think of the proposed implementation for personal bases?
    • Do you have alternative suggestions on how it might be implemented?
    • Any potential improvements on the proposal above? Concerns with the proposal?

Looking forward to the responses from the community! Hopefully it gives some food for thought, and stirs a good amount discussion.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

Conclusion

This sounds like a rather complex thing to do, for fairly small quality of life benefits, but I'm putting it out here because it'd be a cool thing to discuss, and small as the benefits may be, they might be of interest to others. So with that, I leave a few questions:

• Are proper personal bases something you'd be interested in seeing?
    • If no, for what reasons are you opposed?
    • If yes, for what benefits do you support the idea for?
  • What do you think of the proposed implementation for personal bases?
    • Do you have alternative suggestions on how it might be implemented?
    • Any potential improvements on the proposal above? Concerns with the proposal?

As you say, this sounds like something complex for a QOL benefit that can largely be accomplished through coalitions.

With that said, I would like to see it because the coalition code is somewhat clunky and actually being a member of a supergroup with your own private stash sounds perfect. I'm just not sure where I'd prioritize it.

8 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

Naturally, there is a workaround to this: creating an alt to manage the personal base for you, leaving your character free to join whichever supergroup they wish. While very serviceable, it does have its downsides. Namely:

• Entering your 'personal' base via a supergroup password becomes mandatory
  • Editing this base requires switching between your regular and alt character
  • You can't use the salvage/enhancement/inspiration storage facilities in said personal base

I could live with the first two bullet points, but it's the third one that is the crux of the issue for me, and I suspect I am not alone. If there was a way to remove the requirement of SG membership for storage access, and/or to grant access to storage on a per-character or global handle basis (regradless of SG affiliation), rather than a per-SG member basis, that might go a long way to solving the problem.

Overall it's a good proposal though. I'd rather not see personal bases if a less complex solution could be found, but I am not wholeheartedly opposed to the idea. 

31 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I could live with the first two bullet points, but it's the third one that is the crux of the issue for me, and I suspect I am not alone. If there was a way to remove the requirement of SG membership for storage access, and/or to grant access to storage on a per-character or global handle basis (regradless of SG affiliation), rather than a per-SG member basis, that might go a long way to solving the problem.

Overall it's a good proposal though. I'd rather not see personal bases if a less complex solution could be found, but I am not wholeheartedly opposed to the idea. 

There is a far easier way, just sale everything. There is nothing really worth hoarding, make what you cant when its easy, sale off the rest, buy what you need as needed. I was an active and avid crafter/hoarder of all set bits on live. Now I just sale everything, liquidate merits to sale as well, and buy attuned IO sets as needed for alts. Only the first toon at all struggles, once you havea  50 inf flows more then fast enough to keep every toon you make in at least common IOs.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, siolfir said:

As you say, this sounds like something complex for a QOL benefit that can largely be accomplished through coalitions.

With that said, I would like to see it because the coalition code is somewhat clunky and actually being a member of a supergroup with your own private stash sounds perfect. I'm just not sure where I'd prioritize it.

Oh, I'm under no impression that this should be placed anywhere but the backburner, rest assured. But I think it's worth the discussion. Talking about how personal bases might be implemented is interesting, especially since there's a lot of ways to go around doing it, and potential benefits to consider!

Were coalitions not limited to 10 other supergroups, it might be ideal. However, at the moment, it's something feasible only between relatively small ones. Increasing the limit might be one way of working around this, though I imagine this too has some kind of limit.

On the enh table I noticed I could set permissions per rank, what if that were able to be set per global (and I live in hope that they would be able to hold more than 100 each) so that whatever toon you are on, if it is on a certain global account they could access the table (ditto for salvage).  Might could avoid the personal base or dual sg membership ordeal.

21 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

There is a far easier way, just sale everything. There is nothing really worth hoarding, make what you cant when its easy, sale off the rest, buy what you need as needed. I was an active and avid crafter/hoarder of all set bits on live. Now I just sale everything, liquidate merits to sale as well, and buy attuned IO sets as needed for alts. Only the first toon at all struggles, once you havea  50 inf flows more then fast enough to keep every toon you make in at least common IOs.

The one place I’ve found hoarding useful is inspirations. I always snag the Inner Inspiration power from P2W and just bank any large inspirations I get on the way up. Then when I want to solo a TF AV I grab some larges and go to town (so far I haven’t needed an envenomed dagger, but I’ve only soloed Posi1-2, Synapse and Yin).

I put me larges in storage at the club for all to use. I mean if you in an SG with people you actually like, do you really need to hoarde insps? a few insp storage units and every active member storing those they dont need, like for example my scrappers are always putting heals and cc pr larges in for any to use as needed.

This is starting to come across as people who want the perks of a large SG for the advantages it brings, but dont want to share anything of theirs with the SG.

I’m a bit of an introvert so I’m fine with my own little base made up to be an outpost hidden on a Shadow Shard Island run by “The Young Midnighters.”

People are welcome to visit (Everlasting shard; passcode Shadow-10242; all the functional features), but having a place mostly to myself is nice for little old introverted me.

• Like 1