PLEASE Fix Combat Stance! PLEASE!

Solarverse

It is getting worse. This started on live, but you would cast any buff power before firing off an attack and suddenly, your character will not go in to battle stance. Sometimes animations would not activate, so it looks like your character is just standing around doing nothing. It was insa ely annoying then and the issues has worsened since then.

Now, it's random and happens often. The live Devs ignored this issue, please find out the cause and fix this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

Yeah it's annoying but don't think this should be a priority to be honest.

This is an issue that has been going on for several years before shut down. It was never acknowledged by the Live Devs that I know of...I feel it might not be a priority, but since this issue has persisted for many years, it should be a priority. It's been long enough IMO.

• Like 1

I kind of think this is something which is inherently "broken" at the fundamental level of how the entire 3D engine renders and animates.  I could certainly be offbase, but I think the only fix for this is gutting that entire part of the engine and coding it from scratch.

20 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I doubt it's that bad. The bug didn't always exist.

This right here. I can't remember exactly when this bug started, but I know it started shortly before the game went free to play. Within an issue or two of that time frame.

2 hours ago, VileTerror said:

Maybe I'm thinking of something else then.  Sorry, could you elaborate on what you're describing then, please?  Maybe screenshots or videos as examples?

This can be easily replicated. However, this also happens outside these parameters quite randomly. Previously, it used to be only Build Up + Aim that caused this, however now there seems to be other factors at play that can lead to this issue even without BU + Aim. I have yet to pinpoint the other causes as it seems to be random.

38 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

To be honest, I do not see this as being a high priority.

There are lots of things that people complain about that I don't find a high priority either. Most of the time I stay out of it though as I feel that just because it is not a high priority to me, doesn't mean that it's not a high priority to somebody else.

My question is, how long does this bug have to persist before anyone ever considers it a "high priority?" 1 year, 2 years, 3 or 4 years? This bug lasted for 4 years+ (iirc) on live and never did get touched or even recognition to the best of my knowledge. When a bug has lasted this long because it's not on the high priority list, I think at some point we need to push some of these lingering bugs up the list.

The Devs fix low priority things all of the time. One of them being the Energy Blaster Snipe sound effects bug. That wasn't game breaking either, but it was enough to drive some players crazy, so the Devs fixed it on test server.

We can't keep pushing the "low priority" bugs out of the way...at some point they need to be addressed. Otherwise the smaller bugs run rampant...for years and years, as indicated in this thread.

I do not agree that it is low priority. I only would have agreed to that for the first 6 months of the bug being around. But after 4 years+ of this same bug annoying the living shit out of me, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that requesting it moved to the high priority list is well within reason.

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

My question is, how long does this bug have to persist before anyone ever considers it a "high priority?" 1 year, 2 years, 3 or 4 years? This bug lasted for 4 years+ (iirc) on live and never did get touched or even recognition to the best of my knowledge. When a bug has lasted this long because it's not on the high priority list, I think at some point we need to push some of these lingering bugs up the list.

why would length of time have anything to do with it?  a brand new bug that's breaking the game or preventing someone from logging in should always take precedence.  bugs like this are "nice to have" fixes, not "must have".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ZacKing said:

why would length of time have anything to do with it?  a brand new bug that's breaking the game or preventing someone from logging in should always take precedence.  bugs like this are "nice to have" fixes, not "must have".

I am going to go against my better judgement and respond to you and attempt to answer your question. However, at the end, I have a question for you as well. It is an honest and direct question in an attempt to ascertain your motives in this thread.

Now, on to the response to your question; because if you let the lingering bugs that have been around for 4 years and longer go, the other little nonpriority bugs stack with the bug I am reporting now. After a while, you have so many lingering bugs that accumulate over time, that the game just becomes unenjoyable.

Let's look at it this way, let's compare City of Heroes to a beautiful park. Nobody really notices one cigarette butt laying on the ground. However, over the course of a few years those cigarette butts start adding up...and over time, it starts to make that once beautiful park look atrocious.

I have noticed this bug 4 years before the game shut down. When the game came back, I gotta tell you, the first thing I did was check to see if that irritating bug still existed, and much to my disarray, it was still there. The bug annoyed me for the first 6 months of me noticing it. It irked me for the following six months, and as time went on, it grew to be a pain in my rear. It is a constant struggle to keep the bug from popping up while playing and honestly subtracts from the level of enjoyment that I get from the game. Dev teams on ALL games (even games that have become emulators) make an attempt to tackle a small bug or two along with tackling the game breaking bugs. You have to make an effort to keep the game clean of these bugs, because even though this bug may not bother you, you have to understand that it pesters the hell out of others, and if no attempt is made to stay on top of these bugs, they can accumulate overtime and as a collective, can be game breaking.

It should always be a common practice to knock out a small bug or two with every patch. From what I can tell of these Devs, they do just that. This is evident with the Energy Sniper bug they have just fixed. That was a small bug, and in my opinion even less on the priority list than the aforementioned bug in this thread. So by judging from past actions of the current Developers of this game, I can deduce that they too share a similar mindset as my own when it comes to tackling bugs in the game. Since this is the evidence that I have to work with, I think it is safe to say that my bug report is a report that would be valuable to the Developers to have. Since it is ultimately up to the Developers to decide what bugs will be fixed and what bugs will not be fixed, then I am here posting this in hopes that the Developers agree with me on this subject.

The most recent small bug the current Developers have tackled was a bug that ONLY affected Energy Blasters, with ONLY one power, and ONLY if that power was customized. It had no affect on the gameplay whatsoever. It was a sound effects issue far from game breaking. The sound would execute before the animation. That bug targeted specific players only. The bug that I have brought to the attention of the Developers affects ALL players in this game regardless if they have ever notice the bug or not, it is across the board affecting every last player who plays this game. Therefore I believe this bug report is justified.

Now on to my question for you.

So, the only regret that I have about making this bug report, is that a simple bug report thread has turned into yet another endless debate. As far as I know, this is not a discussion thread, this is a bug report thread...to which I have used this thread for that very purpose. This is the bug reporting thread and I find it absurd that anyone would come to a bug reporting thread and feel the need to enter this particular bug reporting thread to tell somebody else how unimportant their bug report is. Since I don't see you telling others in this section of the forums how their bug is not a priority, it forces me to ask the question, why is my thread so special that it garners your attention? Why come to this thread to tell me how unimportant my bug report is on the priority list. Isn't that up to the Developers to decide the importance of a bug? What purpose does entering another person's bug report thread serve when, honestly you had nothing to add to the report other than telling the reporter that their bug report isn't important? I am asking you with sincerity here, because I find no logic in this move and find it ridiculous that I am having this discussion at all, in a section of the forums that is about reporting bugs. Would you please enlighten me and tell me what your motive is here?

Maybe it was because I asked the developers please, then went on to ask them to make it a priority. Even so, that is ultimately up to the developers, so even if this is your reason, I still find no logic in your move here. I feel there must be a much better reason that you are here than this one that I can come up with.

Edited by Solarverse

Very minor bugs going on 4 years that aren't totally breaking the game aren't likely to break the game in another 4 years.  Sure try to knock out a couple of bugs here and there with each patch, that's a nice goal.  Just saying I don't see this as a huge priority.

2 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Very minor bugs going on 4 years that aren't totally breaking the game aren't likely to break the game in another 4 years.  Sure try to knock out a couple of bugs here and there with each patch, that's a nice goal.  Just saying I don't see this as a huge priority.

We agree on your first 2 sentences and partially agree on your last sentence. It may not be a huge priority, however, in the class of small bugs here and there, I feel this bug should take priority in that list of small bugs to fix here and there.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:23 PM, ZacKing said:

Are you going to answer the question or continue to tell them how unimportant you think it is?

Edited by Dark Current

I can't speak for everyone, but I think their motivation is an attempt to provide a salve in the form of "since the people in charge are unlikely to care about this problem, then perhaps you would benefit from stepping back and reconsidering your perspective on the importance of the issue."

And this is coming from the entity which posted:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10109-reset-inspiration-tray-default-as-closed/

Not saying that those types of replies are warranted, mind you.  Just my guess as to why they've been made.

• Like 1

To my mind, prioritization of bugs should be:

-Do players make a meaningful investment (time, influence, etc) in something and it’s not WAI?  That frustrates players and creates a disincentive to do make further investments knowing something is misleading/false advertising.  For example, if MSR raids awarded no Vanguard merits for all that effort, high priority to fix.

-Does the bug create a handicapped state of play for the users, putting them at an unfair disadvantage versus others.  Inverse of this is somewhat true, in cases where a bug creates an advantaged (exploitive) state of play.

-QOL improvements.  Bug doesn’t create conditions 1 or 2 above, but it’s annoying.  <— I suspect there are hundreds of these, if not thousands.  Prioritization of these should be based on data mining active user population and determining how many players would be impacted by QOL changes.

This particular issue likely falls into that last category. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

-Do players make a meaningful investment (time, influence, etc) in something and it’s not WAI?  That frustrates players and creates a disincentive to do make further investments knowing something is misleading/false advertising.  For example, if MSR raids awarded no Vanguard merits for all that effort, high priority to fix.

-Does the bug create a handicapped state of play for the users, putting them at an unfair disadvantage versus others.  Inverse of this is somewhat true, in cases where a bug creates an advantaged (exploitive) state of play.

-QOL improvements.  Bug doesn’t create conditions 1 or 2 above, but it’s annoying.  <— I suspect there are hundreds of these, if not thousands.  Prioritization of these should be based on data mining active user population and determining how many players would be impacted by QOL changes.

You are absolutely correct. However, since the Devs here seem to tackle one of the low priority bugs from time to time, and since this bug does affect everyone and the fact it has been around for an insanely long time, I feel it should be a priority bug fix on the QoL Improvements list of bugs to fix. Ultimately it is up to the Developers to decide, but there it is. The ball is in their court now.

Edited by Solarverse

The problem with bugs is that it's so difficult to judge from the symptoms how hard they are to fix.  Actually, it would be really nice to have a list of reported bugs, with a dev note saying whether they've been looked at yet, and what the conclusion was in terms of effort needed to fix them.

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

2 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

The problem with bugs is that it's so difficult to judge from the symptoms how hard they are to fix.  Actually, it would be really nice to have a list of reported bugs, with a dev note saying whether they've been looked at yet, and what the conclusion was in terms of effort needed to fix them.

That would be great, but I am willing to bet they would be a bit hesitant because players have a tendency to take anything like that as a "promise" to fix them. Maybe if they put a disclaimer at the beginning of the post? Haha!

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:44 PM, Dark Current said:

Are you going to answer the question or continue to them how unimportant you think it is?

I'm under no obligation to answer anyone I don't want to thanks. 

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:18 AM, Crysis said:

What he said.  priority should be based on how bad the impact is.  cosmetics are low priority and some here seem to forget if these "simple" fixes are always addressed but no big ones are, that pisses off people too.

There seems to be a very pervasive problem on these forums with people who can't seem to or don't want to accept the viewpoint of others.  I've said it already yeah this is an annoying bug and can appreciate it bugs people.  I just disagree it's a priority fix. 

4 hours ago, ZacKing said:

I'm under no obligation to answer anyone I don't want to thanks. 

What he said.  priority should be based on how bad the impact is.  cosmetics are low priority and some here seem to forget if these "simple" fixes are always addressed but no big ones are, that pisses off people too.

There seems to be a very pervasive problem on these forums with people who can't seem to or don't want to accept the viewpoint of others.  I've said it already yeah this is an annoying bug and can appreciate it bugs people.  I just disagree it's a priority fix. 

Here is the thing that you don't seem to want to acknowledge, there seems to be more than just one clas of priority bugs. The Devs have a history and have been known to fix both major bugs and minor bugs. The Devs can correct me if I am wrong here, but it would seem the Devs have a system of two categories in which minor bugs get prioritized and major bugs get prioritized. Out of the two lists, they pick one or two from each category and they implement a fix for them. Now, I don't want to speak for them, but this is what the evidence shows.

Your argument indicates that you do not see the pattern when you say things like, "this is not a priority bug." You cannot say if it is a priority bug, because it may very well be a priority bug in the category in which it resides. If I am correct about how the Developers chose to fix known bugs and since it is ultimately up to the Developers to decide what bugs will be taking priority in the categories to chose from, I can say with great relief that I am very happy that choice is not up to you.