Forum Reputation

VileTerror

I just assume my 'forum reputation' will get me killed by a rabid fan of one of the games I post on a forum about, because it seems that speaking my mind makes my 'forum reputation' that of terrible person for pointing out uncomfortable things some people don't want to address.

I am not sure which is the more ignoble death, a Darwin Award, or Death By Rabid Gamer.

The best though is having all kinds of conspiracy theories I have seen around 'forum reputation' with people making sock-puppets and the like to promote a certain POV.

That's just nuts.

Who has that kind of time?

I have trouble keeping up with one account per forum, much less multiples to just make a specific account look a certain way on a certain topic.

What an odd world, where what used to be considered nothing but nerd territory, just using Forums, has now become something the average person uses to decide if they are 'on the right team'...from the feedback they get from other posters...just fascinating.

• Retired Game Master

I remember when the City of Heroes forum implemented a reputation system, some folks from Triumph were competing for negative reputation to see who could get the lowest.

It doesn't matter what kind of brass ring folks are after, if one's hanging, someone's going to try to reach for it just because it's there. 

I don't worry about it too much, myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GM_Tahquitz said:

It doesn't matter what kind of brass ring folks are after, if one's hanging, someone's going to try to reach for it just because it's there. 

I don't worry about it too much, myself.

I feel the same way about Forum Reputation, Steam Achievements, and things like Badges in COH...just flags in a database that get flipped when I do something I would already be doing because I find it fun, not because some people are conviced that 'what other think about them' matters and they want to have all the right Street Cred...I know some people just 'have to get them all' regardless of the topic, but I am not one of those people either.

People worry over others judging them, then turn right around and susbscribe to the system built to judge them, acting like it has meaning...it really does fascinate me how our society has become so emotionally tied to how many people Like thier posts...

But, it certainly is fun to watch at times, I gotta admit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, subbacultchas said:

It should be a fund with value, something usable. You say some really stupid shit one Saturday, and trading in 250 rep will make everyone pretend you didn't.

That's called 'points' and my spouse already keeps track of those, thanks! 😉 

But you hit the nail on the head - even if sarcastically - we have become a society that cares more about the value of 'online points' than we do about 'real life' from my POV and it's just fascinating to see people try and make 'what the Internet forum says' into having real value, when it's totally lopsided toward a very powerful, vocal, and opinionated portion of the actual population...a big set of echo chambers...

I have seen this from the first BBS systems right up to our newest social media platforms.

The fact these things exist, etc., I don't find suprising at all.

It is very interseting to basically be told as kid "don't believe everything you read" and have that in my lifetime turn into "Internet pics or it did not happen" when anything can be faked, without even needing to publish a book.

Someone posted it, someone Liked it, so it must be true, right?

And if I don't Like it or Repost it, then I might not win the lottery....right?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I used to be up there somewhere... then I got busy with real life. Maybe someday I'll be up there again. It would make my ePeen feel bigger. 🙂

I liked this post because I believe in you, PK.

Please like my post too. It's really important to me.

Edit: aww yeah, 500 rep! Making it into the big leagues! Just 102 more rep behind Juba, the race is on!

Edited by Lines
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later

LOL, I'm still trying to figure out the leader board, because from what I can see, I have more rep than Munki, but he's higher in the list than me now, hehe. 

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 2
I'm out.

3 hours ago, Lines said:

Necroing this thread, because this is a thing right now and I'm really proud of myself.

1975003239_2020-03-3017_57_53-DifficultyinCoH_CommunityDiscussion-Page4-GeneralDiscussion-Homecomi.png.5715750a16aa68eac0da5f4a4a4c7e26.png

Oh, and also that I've overtaken Juba. That's really important to me too.

=) thread necroing

and 2,000!

image.png.301f0f81b3485fcc797da982f83ce01c.png

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Best possible thing to do with the forum reputation system- which I did not know existed until now- is delete it. Popularity contest type garbage is unsuited for online communities. it will always become a bad thing and be abused.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Best possible thing to do with the forum reputation system- which I did not know existed until now- is delete it. Popularity contest type garbage is unsuited for online communities. it will always become a bad thing and be abused.

But I won a day.   Dont delete my day or I may cry. 😥

😝

• Like 3

I think the reputation thing only matters on the days I've won.

8 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

LOL, I'm still trying to figure out the leader board, because from what I can see, I have more rep than Munki, but he's higher in the list than me now, hehe. 

I think there is some sort of lag or timing thing going on that makes the numbers look weird sometimes. Also I think the old forums rep system factors in somehow to the overall scores, but in a non obvious way, so I think that can also make the rankings look funky...........................................................................

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I think the reputation thing only matters on the days I've won.

I think there is some sort of lag or timing thing going on that makes the numbers look weird sometimes. Also I think the old forums rep system factors in somehow to the overall scores, but in a non obvious way, so I think that can also make the rankings look funky...........................................................................

Yeah, something's off. I mean, I don't REALLY care, because it's all just made up stuff, but as a programmer, I do like data to be accurate, and it REALLY bugs me when it's not, and I don't know why. For example:

image.png.49f9c7a6504b08e207eee22140ae71d6.pngimage.png.afc45c401a2ba8c50b50c31976abae9f.png

image.thumb.png.96cd5ae4097f8059541668374bfa57d6.png

At this point, I don't even know what the hell that thing is doing. So, I give up understanding it.

I'm out.

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Oh, that makes some more sense then. But, it's frustrating. I hate it when things are hidden and/or seem to be inaccurate.

Like, most things touched by people?

21 hours ago, Lines said:

Oh, and also that I've overtaken Juba. That's really important to me too.

Now that's just ... sad.

You can have all my Internet points, they mean nothing to me.

• Like 1