Hot Take: Replace War Mace/Battle Axe/Sword with a Combined Weapons Set

DMW45

Each of them are near copies of each other, and most of them need revamping or at least a look over in general.  So, I had a thought--if they made those sets later in the game's life, how would they look?

I'm thinking a combined weapons set with a Swap Ammo-like power to switch between the benefits as necessary--changing the overall damage types and secondary effects.

Axe and Mace are the same, different damage type with a few different attacks like single, cone. 

Mace is mostly knockdown with a Knock up.  Disorient aswell.

Axe is entirely knockdown.

Broadsword is not even close to them.  It is Katana with another name.

Both Lethal.

Both have -def.

Both have Parry to +def.

Broad is similar Axe with knock down/up.

Broad is almost entirely single, Mace/Axe are like half cone/aoe.

• Thanks 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

16 hours ago, Haijinx said:

im so glad it was all a dream and its 2004 again. 

God, I had this nightmare it was 2020 and I was nearly 50.  

It was crazy. 

I have a character who uses my RL age and bday and they are mentioned in his bio along with a line like now nearing 40 he continues his war. Had someone start chatting at me on the toon in the D saying how old I was making them feel because they were about the same age as myself  because of all the talk of age and dates from game lore being used in the bio to give the characters past substance. Like mentioning the year the rikti attacked and how he was only in his early 20s then etc.

Funny enough most of my characters are now late 30s or older, I dont make 20 something young heroes like i did when i was a 20something.

Counterproposal:

Make a NEW Melee Set where you have an Axe in one hand, and a Mace in the other.

Call it "Hack and Bash."  Plays like Dual Blades crossed with Titan Weapons:  Slow Recharge, with High Damage, lots of Cones, some combo-threading, and mixes Lethal with Smashing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Counterproposal:

Make a NEW Melee Set where you have an Axe in one hand, and a Mace in the other.

Call it "Hack and Bash."  Plays like Dual Blades crossed with Titan Weapons:  Slow Recharge, with High Damage, lots of Cones, some combo-threading, and mixes Lethal with Smashing.

Call it "mixed melee" or somesuch.  Instead of a full combo system like dual blades, I'd go with a much simpler "resource" system like street justice's "combo" system.  Have it where some attacks finish with the blunt weapon, and others with the edged one.  Here's the trick - *every* power is a "finisher", except you need at least 3 of the built-up resource to trigger the effect.  The blunt weapon could trigger a stun/disorient or knock effect, while the edged ones apply a DoT or -RES.

Edited by biostem
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

This is silly.

A much better idea would be Frakenmelee™! In each hand, you have a weapon with multiple heads. One head is a mace head, another is an axe head, another is a broadsword blade, katana blade, titan weapon blade, stone mallet, flame sword, ice sword, a foam mallet, and more!

It would make a great Blaster secondary, especially when combined with the Frankenrifle.

See, I was thinking the gimmick was going to be a smidge different.

Hack is your basic Axe attack, just like Hack from Battle Axe, but weaker Damage.

Bash is your basic Mace attack, just like Bash from War Mace, but weaker Damage.

Your Build Up would be replaced with Frenzy:  Standard To-Hit Buff, Lower-than-Build-Up Damage Buff, but long duration "flag'd" Buff which causes Hack and Bash to gain additional mechanics.

Both Hack and Bash have their animation times shortened to 0.67s (the shortest I am aware of).

Each time you hit a target with Hack while Frenzied, Bash's remaining cooldown time is cut in half.

Each time you hit a target with Bash while Frenzied, Hack's remaining cooldown time is cut in half.

While Frenzied, you'll basically be able to commit to a nearly uninterrupted string of Hacks and Bashes, back to back, but your Endurance will take a nose dive.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Here is an idea:

Instead just merely allow your Costume Customization to use any of the weapon models while still keeping the abilities intact.

Ex) A War Mace Tanker models is mace to be something other than a mace - a Sword. Although he appears to be wielding a sword, he is still performing War Mace line skills.

I'm sorry but I love the War Mace skill line and don't want it revamped, just buffed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Funny enough most of my characters are now late 30s or older, I dont make 20 something young heroes like i did when i was a 20something.

Heh.  My main hero (Mind/Kin controller) was specfically created as an old man.   Older Face 1, white hair, etc.  I just had this idea it would be funny as hell to have Gramps taking on 5th Column winning. 🙂

On 2/22/2020 at 1:30 AM, Nayeh said:

Here is an idea:

Instead just merely allow your Costume Customization to use any of the weapon models while still keeping the abilities intact.

Ex) A War Mace Tanker models is mace to be something other than a mace - a Sword. Although he appears to be wielding a sword, he is still performing War Mace line skills.

I'm sorry but I love the War Mace skill line and don't want it revamped, just buffed.

I like this.  I'd probably use mace models on my inv/axe tank if I had the choice, but I picked axe for the secondary effect.

Something like this already sort of happens with Dual Blades, where there is at least one axe model you can use in place of either sword.

Meanwhile, I'm glad mace, axe and broadsword are such old sets.  If they were designed recently, there'd probably be a lot of superfluous twirling involved.  Wish they'd designed staff back then too.