3D Printed Characters

Some people did experiment with it back in the day (notably Arcanaville) and I recall seeing a few pictures of successful 3D prints. However from what I recall the issue was that while it was possible to create 3D prints of characters the in-game models aren't really optimized for it (obviously) and it required a lot of manual work to clean up the model and make it 3D printable.

Defender Smash!

However from what I recall the issue was that while it was possible to create 3D prints of characters the in-game models aren't really optimized for it (obviously) and it required a lot of manual work to clean up the model and make it 3D printable.

Makes sense, maybe some crafty clever people will make some kind of tool to help with the conversion to a more 3D print-optimized model . . . I imagine there could be more you could do with models like that besides 3D printing.

*shrugs*

Though I don't really know what I'm talking about lol

Sure you can 3d print characters.

The basic problem is that they are pretty blocky without the "magic" of render smoothing and all the surface textures.

So you can either get a very angular mini or you need to use some good sculpting / modeling skills to give them a good look.

But it is very possible.

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13130.msg230137#msg230137

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11982.msg214852#msg214852

And talking of sculpting

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11522.0

• 3 months later

STO offers 3D printing of ship avatars via Gameprint.  You can tailor your ship at drydock and then order the print right from there - pay for it via in-game zen too.  Prices for smaller sized prints are reasonable and quality looks to be very good.  Everyone I know who ordered one are ecstatic over them.   Definitely worth looking into here as IMO this would be a big hit.  I'd sure buy some.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

• 2 weeks later

My wife and I did conversions of character screengrabs into 3D prints. One of the big issues is that a detailed print isn't in full color, and a full color print doesn't have a lot of detail.

We used to post them at-cost, but they were still expensive. Someone tipped off the 3D print shop and they made me take down the derivatives of copywritten work.

Found some of the old 3D files yesterday.

image.png.07aba72b15abd94f5b57d131d77f6bd4.png

image.png.764cfab5565907d93a4d6d78ad0e435a.png

image.png.630f7f8c3f5f3f57128d3e956338b342.png

StatesBumpyRigged.PNG.ddd713e39af73caca8b3918c4ad42943.PNG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
  • City Council
On 9/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, drboston said:

Here's a CoH 3D Print HowTo I put together: https://corps.ouro-comdev.com/index.php?title=3DPrint

coh_print_warshade.jpg.9328adace37d31d4f61a2733745f4591.jpg

This is awesome! Now I have to go revive my 3d printer and make one 😛

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• 10 months later
Can't do it anymore.

Capture was deliberately and permanently broken before the release of homecoming.

there has been extensive troubleshooting to verify this. 
The only way that capture will work is through the legacy client. (private server)

Game over folks.

Maybe in the next life.
Modify message

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2020 at 3:02 AM, Mr.Hassenpheffer said:
Can't do it anymore.

Capture was deliberately and permanently broken before the release of homecoming.

there has been extensive troubleshooting to verify this. 
The only way that capture will work is through the legacy client. (private server)

Game over folks.

Maybe in the next life.
Modify message

You can bet your ass it's not IMPOSSIBLE. In fact, I'll bet your ass it's not impossible.

There was a threddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/bqpn7e/3d_print_characters/eo7wdxa/

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Mr.Hassenpheffer said:

I mentioned in another thread that you may be able to export Character files from Homecoming, and load them into Titan Icon, then Capture them from there. Has anyone tried this? If the current version doesn't work, I may still have an older one on my old PC ( Icon ). It would be from several years before Homecoming, and before Paragon Chat even came out.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

It would be nice to have an option at Icon while working on a costume to output it as a 3d file. 

No doubt there are issues, the need to code it for example and NC getting on board. More and more games are adding the ability to 3d print so maybe there is an api they can get the code for? We can hope.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **