Revival of a classic, the NEW FOTM. *edited

Camel

1 hour ago, Caulderone said:

You do realize this change to DC was scrapped for now, right?

Bummer, looks like my original build is going to be superior then. Hopefully they do reconsider more reworks for Dark Melee in the future. The change to Shadow Maul is nice, but not enough. Still think Dark/Shield/Blaze is one of the best builds for a Dark Melee character 😛

I’m hoping they didn’t ‘scrap’ (lol) the changes because of the community’s input. I really think they were on to something when they tried to reimagine Dark Consumption.

That being said, I can share/link my original build on this thread if anyone is still interested! Even before the changes I had a fully slotted/functional Shadow Maul, I just didn’t use it frequently because of its tiny cone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crkohl said:

Oh don’t get me wrong I have plenty of experience with DM! My main on live was DM/Invuln, and my main on HC is DM/Shield. Got a DM/DA Brute I may revive as well with these changes.

Edit: Thinking a DM/Fire Brute may be in my future as well...that sounds super fun.

Dark/Fire would very good! Consider making it a Scrapper for Soul Mastery! Shadow Meld + Unleash Potential means you can have a considerable amount of defense for a Fire Armor toon. I have a build I posted somewhere on the forums for several Dark Melee pairings. I’ll link it for you!

1 hour ago, crkohl said:

Oh don’t get me wrong I have plenty of experience with DM! My main on live was DM/Invuln, and my main on HC is DM/Shield. Got a DM/DA Brute I may revive as well with these changes.

Edit: Thinking a DM/Fire Brute may be in my future as well...that sounds super fun.

Lots of good DM/ info on this thread!

2 hours ago, cazden121 said:

Bummer, looks like my original build is going to be superior then. Hopefully they do reconsider more reworks for Dark Melee in the future. The change to Shadow Maul is nice, but not enough. Still think Dark/Shield/Blaze is one of the best builds for a Dark Melee character 😛

I’m hoping they didn’t ‘scrap’ (lol) the changes because of the community’s input. I really think they were on to something when they tried to reimagine Dark Consumption.

Really unfortunate they’re getting rid of the change already. Honestly I’d like for them to change Touch of Fear as well. I know it’s unique to DM, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single person take it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crkohl said:

Really unfortunate they’re getting rid of the change already. Honestly I’d like for them to change Touch of Fear as well. I know it’s unique to DM, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single person take it.

It’s really only good for lower level content and AV killing builds that aren’t defense based And even then, you’re better off just cycling your attack chain and stacking more to-hit debuffs. I would be very excited if they left DC the same and made ToF a PBAoE fear that also does decent damage. As long as they revisit, I’ll be happy. Until then, I guess. The Shadow Maul change is nice, but when I was testing it I wasn’t particularly impressed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cazden121 said:

I would be very excited if they left DC the same and made ToF a PBAoE fear that also does decent damage.

My thoughts exactly. Or even a targeted melee AoE (does that even exist in game now that I think about it?) around the target. Would make the pairing with Dark Armor more worthwhile to give Cloak of Fear an actual decent use.

edit: Thought about it, Thunderstrike is like that. So similar to that.

Edited by crkohl

5 hours ago, crkohl said:

My thoughts exactly. Or even a targeted melee AoE (does that even exist in game now that I think about it?) around the target. Would make the pairing with Dark Armor more worthwhile to give Cloak of Fear an actual decent use.

I’m crossing my fingers. But I’m hoping the Devs decision to leave DC alone may have been the realization that Touch of Fear is the power they should be looking at. It’s exponentially less useful than Dark Consumption and merits a rework a lot more than DC does. Just my opinion though. Hopeful that this is the case. 

5 hours ago, cazden121 said:

I’m crossing my fingers. But I’m hoping the Devs decision to leave DC alone may have been the realization that Touch of Fear is the power they should be looking at. It’s exponentially less useful than Dark Consumption and merits a rework a lot more than DC does. Just my opinion though. Hopeful that this is the case. 

Agreed.  In the feedback thread I posed that trying to force a utility AoE might be more hassle than just making another power into an AoE.  Just makes tweaking it less hassle than trying to balance DC so it still has its utility but now also acts as an attack.  What I would love to see is something leveraging the new'ish chaining mechanic.

11 hours ago, crkohl said:

Spinning Strike from Street Justice. DM's T9 behaving like it would be fine.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:51 PM, cazden121 said:

That being said, I can share/link my original build on this thread if anyone is still interested! Even before the changes I had a fully slotted/functional Shadow Maul, I just didn’t use it frequently because of its tiny cone. 

Would love to see this build 🙂