Sands of Mu

SirBronco

Sands of Mu wont be changed.  Ive actually had the same concept idea as you.  The thing to do is get a lot of recharge.  With enough recharge, you can do shadow maul, sands of mu, shadow maul seamlessly.  Just drop flurry.  Its not a good power and even though its rapid punches, its not a good fit in the way it looks and that small pause before the punches... no.

• 2 weeks later

As others have said, enjoy Sands of Mu as a "temp power". I take it on ALL of my characters. After about level 12/14, other powers that are enhance-able start to outshine it. So, rotate it out, and change up your attack chain. Really, you should be changing your attack chain through the whole life of your character, as you figure out what works best for your theme and performance.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
I'm out.

I want 3 attacks that are like sand of mu for my concept. There are flurry and the shadow maul. I use sands of mu as the third one in the string due to concept only. If they had another set of punches like it, it wouldn't be necessary but they don't so I choose a less then effective method for throwing a string of punches. That is why I wish it were enhanceable. Thanks for all your comments.

22 minutes ago, SirBronco said:

I want 3 attacks that are like sand of mu for my concept. There are flurry and the shadow maul. I use sands of mu as the third one in the string due to concept only. If they had another set of punches like it, it wouldn't be necessary but they don't so I choose a less then effective method for throwing a string of punches. That is why I wish it were enhanceable. Thanks for all your comments.

if its a concept hero why does it matter how well it performs? You can do missions just fine and in groups it really wont matter as this game is too easy.

what I'm saying is maybe your trying to force a concept character into a comparison with a efficient character. These are opposite sides of the spectrum. maybe your concept hero just has to stay on lower difficulties to feel powerful, there's no shame in that

• Like 2

Main issue is the accuracy for Sands of Mu.  The damage scales fairly well even without enhancement.  So, grab tactics, a Kismet IO, maybe focused accuracy in your epic (if you can handle the endurance drain), and it should help alleviate the accuracy issue.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 4:18 AM, EmmySky said:

I forget the contact but there is an arc in Faultline I believe where you can earn the original Sands of Mu.

Not in faultline, though I forget the level range. It's the Wheel of Destruction arc. Banished Pantheon everywhere. Unless there's another arc I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:30 PM, SirBronco said:

I am not sure this has been covered but would be great if sands of mu could be enhanced.

It's not meant to be a mainline attack power for your entire character's life. It's a freebie power to give you a boost at early levels.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:12 AM, SirBronco said:

It is a real power though as it sits in the middle of my attack chain I use it as a  "real power"!

Then you are using it incorrectly.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:29 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

Then you are using it incorrectly.

How elitist of you.

Sands of Mu works FINE in an attack chain *IF* you have significant accuracy enhancement.

I always use it on my tanks since they often have less attacks since they need to buy many other powers for survival.

So, to anyone who uses Sands of Mu in their attack chain, I say, Go for it.  It's a fine attack as long as you aren't missing a lot and that depends on the rest of your build.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 hours ago, Ironblade said:

How elitist of you.

Sands of Mu works FINE in an attack chain *IF* you have significant accuracy enhancement.

I always use it on my tanks since they often have less attacks since they need to buy many other powers for survival.

So, to anyone who uses Sands of Mu in their attack chain, I say, Go for it.  It's a fine attack as long as you aren't missing a lot and that depends on the rest of your build.

Hardly elitist. If you have to build your character specifically to accommodate a free power, then you've probably missed out on other things your build could use more effectively. Your tanks have the attacks. They worked before SoM was introduced, and work now without it. If you want to do it that way, go ahead but it's probably less efficient and ultimately harms your build.

• Confused 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

12 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Hardly elitist. If you have to build your character specifically to accommodate a free power,

Obviously you misunderstood me.  I never build any character around Sands of Mu and most don't use it.

On characters that have few attacks (either because of build decisions or they're exemped to very low level), it can be useful.

And I don't add global accuracy or to hit in order to use Sands of Mu.  I use Sands of Mu on characters that have boosted acc or to hit already.

Edited by Ironblade

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I don't think I misunderstood you. I'm fine with you playing the game you want but I just fund your position somewhat silly. Its analogous to saying "please make all MM non-pet powers stronger because my petless MM sucks but I want to play it anyhow."

SoM is a bonus power designed to help you survive lower levels - to ask for it to be slotted is to make it far more powerful than intended and would inevitably create huge balance problems. If you use it, fine, but to expect it to be improvable is nonsensical.

Well, Sands of Mu is a former vet power that is what it is.  It's supposed to help you through the lower levels, not be part of your actual attack chain once you get your main attacks.  If you are using it for theme, for Boxer, that makes perfect sense, but Sands is just a free power that will never be more than it is (and shouldn't be).  If you want to enhance a useless "boxer" power, enhance brawl.  :P

I guess what I am asking is to either enhance Sands of Mu or make a power that is enhance able so with DM and Flurry I can have a chain of three similar attacks to use. Would be very nice if they could but I doubt it will happen.

49 minutes ago, SirBronco said:

I guess what I am asking is to either enhance Sands of Mu or make a power that is enhance able so with DM and Flurry I can have a chain of three similar attacks to use. Would be very nice if they could but I doubt it will happen.

Trust me, as a long time concept player, you'll soon learn to live with disappointment.

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
  • Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 3/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I don't think I misunderstood you. I'm fine with you playing the game you want but I just fund your position somewhat silly. Its analogous to saying "please make all MM non-pet powers stronger because my petless MM sucks but I want to play it anyhow."

SoM is a bonus power designed to help you survive lower levels - to ask for it to be slotted is to make it far more powerful than intended and would inevitably create huge balance problems. If you use it, fine, but to expect it to be improvable is nonsensical.

Either misunderstood or simply ignored what I actually said.

In my first post in this thread, I said, " Regarding Sands of Mu, I can't support buffing it.  I think it's already a fantastic power. "

On 2/27/2020 at 3:49 AM, Gulbasaur said:

On my dark/dark tanker, I took Boxing and Cross Punch from the Fighting pool and I get a lot of use out of them. People write the attacks off too quickly - they each boost each other's damage and make very solid filler attacks, which Dark sort of needs.

I have often gone with Air Superiority from Flight.  It does decent damage, has reliable control, and adds a bit of super strength even to characters that don't have Super Strength. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 3/18/2020 at 2:38 PM, Doc_Scorpion said:

Trust me, as a long time concept player, you'll soon learn to live with disappointment.

The key to making concept characters is to learn to draw with the pencils you've been given. 

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 3/22/2020 at 2:45 AM, Heraclea said:

I have often gone with Air Superiority from Flight.  It does decent damage, has reliable control, and adds a bit of super strength even to characters that don't have Super Strength. 

My fire/fire brute had Air Superiority back on live.  It let me juggle a couple of the tougher opponents and reduce their damage output while my aura burned down the minions.

He took it at level 20 and I only recently remade him so he hasn't gotten there yet.