Alt creation help - But kind of not...

Chebeq

I want to create a new alt scrapper (Or maybe brute, but we'll see, and the sets are nearly the same in broad strokes)

However.

I don't want a good build. 

I want a challenge. 

So, give me your worst combinations. Two stipulations: No psi melee, as it annoys me. No regen, as it annoys me.

Go! Bonus points for why it's a terrible combination.

Well, looking at the list of power sets at level 50 how about Battle Axe/Ice Armor?  They're the two rarest sets although it does seem like they may work adequately.  I have to admit to a lack of experience with them, I've never played Battle Axe and the only Ice Armor I played was a Tanker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

When I see the question come up for any AT, often see it in game actually, I always default to what @Call Me Awesome did.  Tell them instead to pick one of the least played.  Much easier to quantify, and a lot of times there are "power" reasons something is on the least played list (but not always of course).  And then you can say you played something rare instead of something you thought was weak, that sounds nicer. 😄

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

instead to pick one of the least played.  

This is a good method, I agree. There is a list of the actual least played combinations under that and fire/ice seems to be the lowest.

Is there a more recent pull off those stats?

On 3/1/2020 at 8:34 AM, Chebeck said:

This is a good method, I agree. There is a list of the actual least played combinations under that and fire/ice seems to be the lowest.

Is there a more recent pull off those stats?

Not that I'm aware of.  Hopefully they'll do an updated pull at least of the level 50 stats someday.

On 2/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

Well, looking at the list of power sets at level 50 how about Battle Axe/Ice Armor?  They're the two rarest sets although it does seem like they may work adequately.  I have to admit to a lack of experience with them, I've never played Battle Axe and the only Ice Armor I played was a Tanker.

I’m not even exaggerating when I say I don’t think I’ve seen one Battle Axe Scrapper. And I’ve been playing on HC since last May. I was actually considering rolling one myself for that reason, but the set is seriously just “War Mace, but worse!” So that might be what you want, OP.

I have a couple of /Ice Scrappers, and it’s funny to me how rare they are because they’re unique. They’re the only AT with Icicles and Icy Bastion. But they take awhile to get going. Leveling one can be brutal.

Energy Aura is another secondary I don’t see as often. Very similar to /Ice.

Update: Battle Axe is not fun. ALL the powers have KB, which on a melee set is just the worst. That character has already been deleted to free up the slot.

Using the next one up, Ice Melee leaves us with Ice/Ice, which I have not seen on HC nor played on HC/Live. 

We're gonna give it a shot!

Thanks again, all.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, crkohl said:

I’m not even exaggerating when I say I don’t think I’ve seen one Battle Axe Scrapper. And I’ve been playing on HC since last May. I was actually considering rolling one myself for that reason, but the set is seriously just “War Mace, but worse!” So that might be what you want, OP.

I have a couple of /Ice Scrappers, and it’s funny to me how rare they are because they’re unique. They’re the only AT with Icicles and Icy Bastion. But they take awhile to get going. Leveling one can be brutal.

Energy Aura is another secondary I don’t see as often. Very similar to /Ice.

I'm guessing, it's Ice Armor's graphics.  Though, it does have a less FX option, it's not 100% gone FX.

58 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I'm guessing, it's Ice Armor's graphics.  Though, it does have a less FX option, it's not 100% gone FX.

I'd think it's moreso the set's lack of actual defensive power. Taking all 9 powers, there's only 14.7% SLEN base defense, 2% FC def, and ~15% FT res, with C res the only one that's good "out of the box", but it's already overcapped, so that's a waste. Yes, there's a damage toggle and the T9 is 37.5% ResAll (-Psi), but chasing the CD on that is rough. Absolutely no protection against Psionics. 

Only Dark has a higher end drain, too.

The status protection is very good, though, and the +60 Percept is nice, but those are a bit easier to IO or PP in without the existing holes this set has.

Edit: Also 0 positionals, owing to the age of the set I'd assume.

Edited by Chebeq

1 hour ago, Chebeq said:

Update: Battle Axe is not fun. ALL the powers have KB, which on a melee set is just the worst. That character has already been deleted to free up the slot.

Were you fighting Clockwork or something?  Battle Axe doesn't have any knockback, but it has a ton of knockdown.  If you were just looking at the power info, any knockback effect with a magnitude less than 1 is actually knockdown.

Anyway, I have a Battle Axe/Shield Scrapper myself, and BA is very rough on endurance use.  Using it with Ice Armor probably means bottoming out your endurance bad between Energy Absorption applications.  If you want to make it even more challenging, go BA/DA instead.

Everlasting: Charredcore-Head.gif.295932ce0b7f285ede7cd6f7baa92107.gif Charredcore (Sonic/Fire Blaster) Fleabitten-Head.gif.b2329ba8bd4533efc403330511a55b3e.gifFleabitten (Savage/SR Brute)  And many, many more!

On 3/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, crkohl said:

I have a Battle Axe/Energy Armor Scrapper around 30 and that's about as far as I want to go with it. 

BA basically seems fine, but is pretty endurance-hungry. It does fairly consistent knockdown, which is fun. But the swipes are just so slow.

14 minutes ago, The Bobby Llama said:

Any knockback effect with a magnitude less than 1 is actually knockdown.

True, but after multiple applications it stacks into a KB. 

Side note: Yes, I actually was fighting clockwork primarily.

Just now, Chebeq said:

True, but after multiple applications it stacks into a KB. 

Only if multiple KD effects hit in the same server tick.  You can't knock stuff back by repeatedly knocking it down.

Just now, Chebeq said:

Side note: Yes, I actually was fighting clockwork primarily.

Just in case you didn't know, Clockwork are weak to knockback.  So the magnitude of your knockdowns is getting pushed above 1 when fighting them.

Everlasting: Charredcore-Head.gif.295932ce0b7f285ede7cd6f7baa92107.gif Charredcore (Sonic/Fire Blaster) Fleabitten-Head.gif.b2329ba8bd4533efc403330511a55b3e.gifFleabitten (Savage/SR Brute)  And many, many more!

2 minutes ago, The Bobby Llama said:

Only if multiple KD effects hit in the same server tick.  You can't knock stuff back by repeatedly knocking it down.

Just in case you didn't know, Clockwork are weak to knockback.  So the magnitude of your knockdowns is getting pushed above 1 when fighting them.

Bah, maybe I'll have to remake and get it past 15 this time 🤔

Crunching a bit of the new data (19x13 = 247, -6 for /SD, -240 listed combinations), it seems like there are no KA/DA scrappers at 50! This seems like an adequately, ah, challenging combination to force me to create an alt!

Never played EITHER on SCR, much less together. We'll see how this goes.