Snipe damage missing.

LQT

Have encountered this bug a couple of times now, and possibly more that I've not noticed.

Out of combat [OOC] snipe hits a target and no damage is done except for a damage proc IO present.

First time noticed was back in January on the 19th when playing an EN/Kin corruptor during the blueside Midnighter intro arc.

Combat log text as follows:

[10:08:45] You activated the Aim power.
[10:08:46] HIT Qel-Thyros! Your Aim power is autohit.
[10:08:46] Qel-Thyros HITS you! Aim power was autohit.
[10:08:46] You take a moment to concentrate and are much more accurate for a short while.
[10:08:46] Your attack strength has increased temporarily.
[10:08:46] Readying Sniper Blast.
[10:08:46] You start Sniper Blast.
[10:08:48] You activated the Sniper Blast power.
[10:08:49] HIT Ci'dion! Your Sniper Blast power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 59.39.
[10:08:49] Ci'dion takes 69.18 points of bonus toxic damage!

1217518411_cityofheroes2020-01-1910-10-51-00.png.cee91dd84f6b1b83fff57b9cc0b9abe9.png

As you can see from the image only the toxic damage [from Sting of the Manticore] was recorded. The next attack missed yet triggered the Streakbreaker effect, possibly suggesting that the snipe didn't actually hit despite the combat text.

Second time was yesterday on a Fire/Dev blaster playing the first mission in the Smoke and Mirrors arc from Ouro. Again an OOC snipe on the named boss of the mission.

Combat text as follows:

[12:21:22] You start Blazing Bolt.
[12:21:23] You activated the Blazing Bolt power.
[12:21:24] HIT Malico! Your Blazing Bolt power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 46.39.
[12:21:24] You hit Malico with your Apocalypse: Chance for Negative Energy Damage for 92.9 points of Negative Energy damage.
[12:21:24] Fire Thorn Caster MISSES! Fire Ball power had a 18.10% chance to hit, but rolled a 25.97.
[12:21:25] Nerva Spectral Daemon MISSES! Ice Bolt power had a 5.00% chance to hit, but rolled a 97.55.
[12:21:25] Malico MISSES! Falchion power had a 5.75% chance to hit, but rolled a 42.40.

785271451_cityofheroes2020-03-1012-21-38-20.jpg.a5980d92975199e28b3139fc906b85f7.jpg

Again the only damage recorded was a damage IO proc, in this case Apocalypse. An OOC snipe should have almost one shot the named npc due to mission notoriety [-1/1] in addition to an OOC snipe affected by Targeting Drone [+60% damage]

Worth noting that the snipe was also slotted with 5 Sting of the Manticore [1, 2, 3, 5, 6] which included the damage proc IO but this didn't trigger.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• 2 weeks later

Will do. However I've also encountered something else which may be more to do with the Fire Blast set itself, so making a separate post for that. Scratch that, pvp issue. Will check test server for snipe/AS issues.

Edit: Ran around, sniped stuff. Didn't seem to get the same issue, but then I wasn't 100% on the exact conditions needed to replicate it outside of AIM+OOC snipe.

Edited by LQT
Observation error. Further testing.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• 4 weeks later

So I may have encountered this again, but this time it's the Assassin Strike one.

1701535920_cityofheroes2020-04-1810-35-06-46.thumb.jpg.f4d9302584b320fb425569449e912475.jpg

As per the combat log, that's 10 OOC AS attacks made which activate, go through the attack animation, then fizzle into nothing. There were another 5 or so before I tried using Bonesmasher which did land an attack on the crate hence the missing health so I can attack from this position despite the crate being partially obscured.

Had been intending to avoid the 3 guards that were to the right of the crate but after hitting it with Bonesmasher they aggro'd so I got rid of them without moving to further check if AS would or wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later

Another update, same toon, AS again.

Combat log feedback:

[21:37:21] You start Assassins Strike Stealth.
[21:37:23] You activated the Assassin's Strike power.
[21:37:23] HIT PPD Sergeant! Your Assassin's Strike power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 32.30.
[21:37:23] You enter a hidden state.

Last line refers to the Stalker's Guile  ATO for re-entering Hide meaning the attack landed both numerically 32.30/95.00 and technically regarding procs. It just did absolutely nothing damage wise.

699756746_cityofheroes2020-04-2921-40-00-11.thumb.jpg.de58f3f4ecccf484c2768596eee0ef4c.jpg

Sniper Blast on my Energy Blaster and Ranged Shot on my Archery Blaster seem to be working perfectly well.  Was this fixed recently, and is only broken on Stalkers?

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Original issues I encountered in the earlier posts were on an en/kin corr 1 time and a fire/dev blaster 2 times. Slight bias reporting those since I obviously play them and I don't have every blaster/corr/def blast set on a toon but if they do eventually occur will add them here too.

Problem is I don't know anything that can cause the issue, so it's almost impossible to test as every time it's happened [bar the AS behind the panel] it's just been a regular attack and nothing special like sniping through a keyhole while the moon if full and an owl hoots twice.

• 4 weeks later

Still happening. Had it yesterday on a ranged toon I didn't bother recording the combat log for, and just now on an archery/TA blaster during LGTF.
Archery.jpg.70ceb47d5a380679f11b0a348b4ca9a7.jpg

Snipe roll hits, does no damage, proc does damage. Wastes Sniper Shot effect entirely, just as it happens with AS.

• 1 month later
  • 2 years later
  • 3 weeks later
On 7/1/2023 at 9:55 PM, Wavicle said:

I have experienced this many times but I have been completely unable to figure out what causes it.

Assassin's Strikes and Snipes have a couple of things in common:

• AS and (Slow) Snipes are interruptable
  • AS and Snipes have variable damage that depends on different conditions, including: Hidden/Not Hidden, Slow/Fast, +ToHit

I mostly notice AS hitting and not doing damage from Hidden (because it is really obvious), but I can't swear that I haven't had it happen when a Stalker wasn't hidden. Similarly with Slow Snipes, although I feel like (at least on Blasters) I have observed a Fast Snip hit and do no damage (except possibly via a %proc).

Since the %proc damage is registered, the game absolutely "knows" that the attack hit, so I think that rules out server/client miscommunication.

It "feels" more that the game simply didn't enter any function to apply damage from the power itself. It is as if the game has an unhandled CASE for the 'native' damage. I suppose the CASE could be confused by server/client issues, but frankly there should just be a default CASE rather than allowing NO damage.

5 hours ago, tidge said:

Assassin's Strikes and Snipes have a couple of things in common:

• AS and (Slow) Snipes are interruptable
  • AS and Snipes have variable damage that depends on different conditions, including: Hidden/Not Hidden, Slow/Fast, +ToHit

I mostly notice AS hitting and not doing damage from Hidden (because it is really obvious), but I can't swear that I haven't had it happen when a Stalker wasn't hidden. Similarly with Slow Snipes, although I feel like (at least on Blasters) I have observed a Fast Snip hit and do no damage (except possibly via a %proc).

Since the %proc damage is registered, the game absolutely "knows" that the attack hit, so I think that rules out server/client miscommunication.

It "feels" more that the game simply didn't enter any function to apply damage from the power itself. It is as if the game has an unhandled CASE for the 'native' damage. I suppose the CASE could be confused by server/client issues, but frankly there should just be a default CASE rather than allowing NO damage.

I think what's probably happening is some error is causing the function to exit abnormally and the proc is from a separate independent function