Hi, I'm new.

hyacathinose

There is a whole guides section!  Just navigate to the Home menu on the boards

I would recommend hitting the P2W vendor immediately.  You can get neat free/cheap buffs, enhancements, and experience boosters.  including a flight power 30 min for 5000 inf.  Which seems like a lot your 1st 3 hours in the game....and then....

Speaking of cash if you use the double exp booster you will get zero inf drops.  That is fine, earning inf killing stuff pre 50 is....not efficient.

Merits!  huge Inf maker.  can get merits doing story arcs and Task Forces.  Positron 1 and Positron 2 will net you a few.  There are complex (and lucrative) inf making guides (in the guides section)  For a beginner I recommend taking yourself (and your merits) to the Auction House in Atlas Park.  To the right of the auctioneers is an ATM looking thing.  use that to convert merits to salvage, Enhancement Converters, and sell those on the AH.  you will make a lot that way, and it is easy.

Always let peeps know you are new.  Homecoming is a welcoming community and some of us might seem Snarky, okay, some of us are Snarky, but we are glad you are here! Anything we can do to help we will.

• Like 1

If you're just starting out I usually suggest a Scrapper as a first character, they have very good damage and are durable enough to be forgiving of new player mistakes.  It's really hard to pick a bad combination but for a really easy to play combination while you're learning Claws/Willpower is about as easy as it gets.  Fast animating and recharging attacks so you don't have to wait on them to recharge and a "set and forget" secondary you won't have to manage.

If something else really catches your eye then by all means play whatever seems like fun; there's 1,000 slots available to you for different characters!  My personal first character was a Blaster way back in 2004, I found it was hard to stay alive and got frustrated with constantly getting killed so I rolled up a Tanker.  That Tanker became my first level 50 and my most played character... years later I tried another Blaster and really enjoyed it having more experience and skill so I wasn't admiring the floor constantly.

If there's an AT that catches your eye you may want to drop into the forum for that AT and get some advice on different powers to choose, some combinations work extremely well and others may require a lot of work to make them work well.  There's not a powerset combination in the game that can't function however.

One question, if you're planning to play solo a bit there's some AT/power combinations you'll want to avoid.  A Controller with the Earth/Radiation sets is an excellent team player but a terrible solo player due to low damage output for example.  A Fire/Kinetic Controller can be good at both on the other hand.  Some sets are good in the early game and some are slow to start and don't get good until later on in levels as well.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• Lead Game Master

Welcome! And from our FAQ:

Which shard should I play on?

If you are in Europe, we highly recommend you play on Reunion as it’s physically located in Germany - the rest of the shards are in Canada.

If you’re into roleplaying we recommend you take up residence on Everlasting (the unofficial RP shard), and if you’re into PvP you should try your luck on Indomitable (the unofficial PvP shard). Alternatively, Torchbearer and Excelsior are the busiest shards and have a wide range of players on them.

Can I transfer my characters between shards?
Yes! You can transfer your characters between shards at any time, up to a maximum of 5 transfers every 3 days.

Interested in supporting Homecoming? Consider applying to become a Game Master!

1 hour ago, hyacathinose said:

How do I select a server?

Edit: I mean, obviously by clicking it, but which one should I pick?

The easiest way to pick a server to play on is easy. All of them.

😄

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Ohai new friend, you bring the donuts? 😸

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

• Game Master

Hi!! Welcome home 🙂

Just to add to the general conversation, learn to use the Auction house. Just type /AH anywhere outside a mission. It might seem a bit daunting but as a general rule orange salvage will fetch around half a million inf a time, give or take a hundred thousand. Recipes are an odd group, some will fetch a fortune, others will fetch barely a couple of hundred inf. Learn how much stuff sells at a shop or vendor then decide if you want to sell it in the AH or the shop. Personally I sell white and yellow salvage at a shop and orange salvage on the AH, then check each recipe by dropping it into the AH window and clicking find. Sometimes I have to click a few times for it to come up as it's temperamental.

Sometimes crafting an enhancement from the recipe can make you far more than just selling the recipe, but it's a case of if it's worth the extra cost for components and crafting costs to whether it's worth it. A purple recipe will generally fetch around 10 to 14 million, and the crafted enhancement will fetch around 20 million. If you have the components handy then it can be worthwhile crafting, otherwise sometimes it's just more cost effective to sell the recipe.

• Like 3