Recently I checked my blaster and she was squishier

SweetTorment

Recently I played my rad/rad(atomic) blaster - something that is very rare as I am usually on teams that do not need me to dps. I loved dpsing on her before because I had made a build that allowed me solo team content In the past my rad/rad blaster which in my build had mediocre def but a huge hp regen was able to pseudo tank pretty well by simply breaking line of sight or briefly popping personal field for long enough to let the regen refill me. So while the team would go one path, I would solo the other and clear things pretty fast.

However, this most recent time instead of that expected playstyle, my blaster died super fast. I rezzed once it was safe, only to instantly drop again at the very next fight. Trying to figure out why I checked my stats and saw that my def and dmg resist values had both taken a nasty drop from what I remembered. Assuming that I simply had misplaced a toggle or something I reset my trays and moved all the toggle powers back manually. Only to see the same super low stats being listed. Next I checked my build and made sure I had not accidentally swapped builds (not it), then checked the enhancements to make sure they were all there (all present).

Someone suggested I compare my stats to MIDS, when I did MIDS stated I should be at 17.9% def across the board, instead my def was at 11%. My resists should have been at 54% to 63%. Instead they were all 32% to 41.75%. Combined these two changes took a workable but tricky regen build and turned it into debt badge nirvana.

I feel like I need to completely rework my blaster now since her build worked well at the former defensive levels, but is failing miserably now with the lower stats. I just wish that whatever had changed to blasters had not wrecked my old build. 😕

Kigo on Indomitable server. She is a rad / atom blaster which I built to be a pbaoe dps that could solo 8 man team content with quick smash and blast. When her health would get low I would toggle on PFF and turtle until ready again. Attached is a screenshot of a side by side comparison of in game defense with mids reborn totals showing beside it.

Normal toggles being run are metabolic acceleration, maneuvers, tactics, tough, weave, combat jumping, temp invulnerability, and finally beta decay (for brief moments until a cc lands). She also has PFF as an emergency button intended for turtling to allow her regen build to keep her up. Aim and Ionize are used in turn as previous effects ends to keep a constant buffed to-hit/dmg bonus state despite both having longer cooldowns than durations.

Incarnate powers chosen alphabetically -

Alpha: musculature radial paragon

Destiny: clarion core epiphany

Hybrid: melee core embodiment

Interface: reactive core flawless

Judgement: void radial final

Lore: banished pantheon radial superior ally

Counting enhancements mids claims my defenses should be 17.9% across the board. Which is kind of bad, but worked in a "kill them before they can kill you" manner for the regen / turtling build I had and used to work very well when I formerly played her more often.

Actual defense seen in game now though is only 11.6% except ranged defense 14.73%. Meaning I have lost a full third of my potential defense.

20041810.png

Edited by SweetTorment
Removed line questioning whether beta decay could be lowering def since stats shows it is not.

What version of Mids?

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

It was Mids' Reborn v2.6.0.1 - and yes I am aware after checking that Mids Reborn is now on 2.6.0.7 so I updated and rechecked. Results in .7 were exactly the same for defense stat numbers.

Edit: For clarity when I say exactly the same I meant that .7 says 17.9% too.

Edited by SweetTorment
Clarification edit.

• City Council

Okay, Kigo was created on February 23rd, so I just reverted a dev server to the next build (February 24th, code build 795, data build 810) and loaded the character in. Its toggles were already on, so I didn't touch anything.

It loaded without a costume because of the internal changes that have happened since then, but otherwise all the numbers seem to be the same. If there is a change, it's not evident in the default state of the character just standing there with the various toggles on.

image.thumb.png.80e094f4dffa5f736313e493c9a4b108.png

Here is the result of /buildsave if someone wants to check it on Mids: https://pastebin.com/m4PkcLQp

• Haha 1

Ok, I recreated the build in Mids 2.6.0.7 (with the Unofficial update applied) from Faultline's pastebin.  Here it is:

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Radiation Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Force Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: X-Ray Beam -- EntChs-Heal%:35(A)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Apc-Dam%:50(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(11), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(17), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(17), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(21)
Level 2: Irradiate -- FuroftheG-ResDeb%:50(A)
Level 4: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(45), Rct-ResDam%:50(45)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(46), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(46)
Level 8: Aim -- GssSynFr--ToHit:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(9), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:50(11)
Level 10: Ionize -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(A), GssSynFr--Build%:50(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:50(43)
Level 12: Proton Volley -- SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect:50(13), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(13), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(15)
Level 14: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:50(A)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- TchofLadG-DefDeb:50(A), TchofLadG-%Dam:50(23), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb:50(23), DarWtcDsp-Slow%:50(25)
Level 18: Cosmic Burst -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg:50(A), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg:50(19), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(21)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(25), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(34), Prv-Absorb%:50(36)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%:50(A)
Level 26: Neutron Bomb -- Rgn-Dmg:50(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg:50(27), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(27), Rgn-Acc/Rchg:50(29), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx:50(29), Rgn-Knock%:50(31)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- Arm-Dmg:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(36), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(37), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(37), Arm-Dam%:50(37)
Level 30: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status:50(A), ImpArm-ResPsi:40(46)
Level 32: Atomic Blast -- BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg:50(A), BlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg:50(33), BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(33), BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), BlsWrt-Rchg/Dam%:50(34)
Level 35: Radioactive Cloud -- UnbCns-Hold:50(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg:50(40), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg:50(42), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg:50(42), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold:50(42), UnbCns-Dam%:50(43)
Level 38: Positronic Fist -- Hct-Dmg:50(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg:50(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg:50(39), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx:50(40), Hct-Dam%:50(40)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(48), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(48)
Level 44: Personal Force Field -- ShlWal-Def/Rchg:50(A), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg:50(48), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(50)
Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- ImpArm-ResPsi:40(A)
Level 49: Force of Nature -- UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(A), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam:50(50), ImpArm-ResPsi:40(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:40(A), Pnc-Heal/+End:50(3), RgnTss-Regen+:30(3), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(5), NmnCnv-Heal:50(5), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx:50(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(7), PrfShf-End%:50(9)
------------

The numbers on defense come out to exactly what is shown in game.  So, I suspect this is a case of using an out-of-date version of Mids.

Here are the posts stickied in the Tools & Utilities sub-forum to get the up to date version and the unofficial update (if you want it).

Edited by Caulderone
  • Thanks 1

You're missing about 6% defense... that sounds like steadfast protection IO and a Gladiator's armor IO.   Maybe your old mid's build had those 2 IOs slotted in a resist power?

Manuevers seems under slotted (it gives a blaster 4.71 when fully slotted).  Perhap's that's the last 1/2 percent?  

Just guessing... but seems reasonable.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I don't know 17.9 isn't much depending on the setting the team was on. 

If you are pulling aggro then everyone else might not be set up correctly.

Copied from my signature link;

Next scenario I'd like to look at: 25% defense.

This could be the same blaster with some nice IO sets and weave, or a low level SR scrapper. 25% is essentially halfway to the soft-cap. That sounds good, but let me illustrate how bad it actually is.

A minion of even level will still land exactly one in four swings. At this point, after only three attacks, it's more likely that you've been hit at least once than dodged everything. (The formula for that one is (0.75 * 0.75 * 0.75) or (1 - 0.25)^3 = 0.422, therefore only 42% likely that you dodged everything. More often than not, you've been hit.) In a succession of five attacks, it is 37.3% likely that you've been hit at least twice.

But let's face it, few people only fight even level minions. On a marginal difficulty of 3, the worst you run into is a +2 boss. The chance to get hit by the boss is 39% (almost 15% higher!), and it is now more likely that you've been hit by the second swing (37.2% chance to dodge two attacks in a row). Out of five attacks, it is 30% likely that you'll be hit by three or more. Without any resists, tricks or inspirations, you may want to solo carefully.

Further down the link which fits your defense range

Some Defense: 10% & 15% defense.

The idea here is that you're a mid-high level squishy who, while not obsessed with IO's, is trying to get a little survivability out of his build. Remember the zero defense case? It was dismal, but just to re-hash it: Even level minion hits you 50% of the time, +1 LTs hit you 63% of the time, and +2 bosses hit you 78% of the time. The LT will likely land three out of five swings and the boss will likely land four out of five.

When you have 10% defense, the chances to be hit change to 40%, 50.6%, and 62.4%, respectively. We can already make a comparison here, in that the LT now looks like a minion and the boss looks like an LT. The boss and LT still hit more often than they don't, but you've effectively taken a level and a rank away from everything. (Or you've added a rank and a level to what you feel you can handle!) This translates almost directly into my succession of five, because the boss is only likely to hit you three out of five times. The LT is still likely to hit you three out of five as well, but considerably less likely. The odds dropped from 73.7% to 51.1%.

With 15% defense, the chances to be hit become 35%, 44.3%, and 54.6%. It isn't much different, although now only the boss hits more often than he misses. The LT is now only likely to land two of five and the boss just barely likely to hit you three of five.

This is something I've been afraid to do, but I'm going to inject some subjective analysis for this particular scenario to answer the question: "Does this small amount of defense really help?"

In teams, I have to say "a very resounding yes," because if you're the kind of AT that can only get 10-15% defense, you are one of the team's squishies. You're doing your team role while the real hardy AT's try to hold most of the aggro. What you worry about is the minion or LT you got the attention of, but didn't quite kill. Maybe you're a blapper or close supporter who has to worry about those AoE attacks. The point is, you only get attacked a fraction of the fight. Maybe you only get one out of ten attacks directed at you; maybe it's one out of five, but that all compounds on the little bit of defense you added. A +2 boss hits you three out of five times, but when you only see one of five of his attacks, it's kind of like you "dodge" 22 out of 25 attacks. Mix in the fact that you are avoiding mez effects and debuffs, and you considerably boost your effectiveness in a team setting.

Another thing to consider is that some of the support AT's you'll work with can buff your defense or debuff accuracy. Maybe they can only get 30% one way or the other, but the 15% in your build pushes you into the range of soft-cap near-invincibility. Just remember how I keep mentioning "that last 10% or 5%." You can become that last little push when your team is buffing you.

You know even with PFF it’s very, very easy to build for softcap (45%) DEF to S/L and/or Ranged on a Blaster.  

I find I don’t really need to Turtle up via PFF with that kind of DEF and Blaster +Absorb.

Doesnt answer your question but may give you a direction to take.

And Plain Guy hasn't even touched on the subject of defense debuffs and cascade failure...which if he ran into mobs with -defense is almost guaranteed to happen and could easily result in very sudden death.  Though that wouldn't explain the value differences unless you were under debuffs at the time and didn't notice.