Can't decide my /Martial Combat primary...

JnEricsonx

I don't like repeating powersets so close in character creation, and I'm already using a Dark/Dark controller, so not sure if Dark is a good option in this case, or maybe go Earth or Plant?  Then again, I might want to remake my Plant/Thorns dominator at some point so...any suggestions?

Dark/martial has been fun for me so far.  The melee aoe of martial melds well with the pbaoe of hard of darkness.  I originally took stealth on that toon for concept reasons; it was unexpectedly helpful at getting time to get off the controls without drawing undue amounts of aggro.

Dark/Martial is fun for me. Use Heart of Darkness with Caltrops, they wont wander far. I skipped the AoE Immob and AoE hold in the Darkness primary, focusing on being a single target focused Dominator. When I get too much aggro, then I bring out the pets. I took all the  Martial Combat powers.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Not being a nitpick but you mean  Martial Assault not combat correct.

I think the only one that matches is Darkness as the Minus to hit equals defense buff. 

I completely agree. Martial Assault seems fun, but it doesn't seem like it really meshes well with other Dom powers.. largely because the primaries are just..  well.. perhaps "unnatural" is the best word.  Like, the AT has always seemed like it's completely against the "Natural" character origin.. how does one "Naturally" shoot fire or electricity?  Then you put in a secondary that's actually a completely normal thing.  I've always felt like Dominators should have had some primaries that involve throwing traps out or something.  I believe people would be playing far more dominators if only their were a wider variety of themes for them.  As is, I really think Mind Control is the only thing that really makes sense with Martial Assault.  Although, as I was saying that I was thinking that "Gravity Control" could possibly be used to simulate Chi training or something.  I'm sorry though, if I have the power to summon blocks of ice or fireballs from nothing, then I'm going to assault you with fire or ice.  I can control plants with my mind, but I'm going to kick you instead of doing something truly horrifying.  They really shoulda put more thought into the Dom before releasing it.. which is really sad because the potential for this AT to be simply amazing was there.

i think both controllers and doms are lacking severely in there primary choices (quantity not quality).  the melee archetypes have so many primaries to choose from that it is ridiculous.  Blasters  Defenders and corrupters choices with blast sets is also extensive. but the control primaries is a short list. with the way homecoming releases new stuff, i know that any new control sets will be polished so i am willing to wait, but i may not be very patient about it 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

I completely agree. Martial Assault seems fun, but it doesn't seem like it really meshes well with other Dom powers.. largely because the primaries are just..  well.. perhaps "unnatural" is the best word.  Like, the AT has always seemed like it's completely against the "Natural" character origin.. how does one "Naturally" shoot fire or electricity?  Then you put in a secondary that's actually a completely normal thing.  I've always felt like Dominators should have had some primaries that involve throwing traps out or something.  I believe people would be playing far more dominators if only their were a wider variety of themes for them.  As is, I really think Mind Control is the only thing that really makes sense with Martial Assault.  Although, as I was saying that I was thinking that "Gravity Control" could possibly be used to simulate Chi training or something.  I'm sorry though, if I have the power to summon blocks of ice or fireballs from nothing, then I'm going to assault you with fire or ice.  I can control plants with my mind, but I'm going to kick you instead of doing something truly horrifying.  They really shoulda put more thought into the Dom before releasing it.. which is really sad because the potential for this AT to be simply amazing was there.

Yeah Gadget Control with Malta Group type controls has been suggested a lot. I made this exact comment that control sets are very magic/mutant themed, other than gravity and maybe mind!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I went Plant/MA mainly cause of theme. Broko Lee: learned martial arts from the master as a sprout.

But I has been a great pairing! I only took one melee attack the rest are shuriken attacks. Not epic in the sense of wow your gonna sol 4+x8 but super fun to play and survivable. Fun solo and on a team.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, TrashBasher said:

Question, is Explosive Shuriken a full AOE, I think some documentation says it is only a bit of splash AoE, but that is minor, say 15% of the full damage.

Its a single target with a minor splash DoT.

Its incredibly underwhelming, especially compared to Trick Shot and the revamped snipe.

It could certainly do with some sort of boost, although admittedly I respecced out of the melee attacks. Maybe I should have dumped it instead. 

• 2 weeks later
On 4/25/2020 at 6:43 AM, Chrome said:

i think both controllers and doms are lacking severely in there primary choices (quantity not quality).  the melee archetypes have so many primaries to choose from that it is ridiculous.  Blasters  Defenders and corrupters choices with blast sets is also extensive. but the control primaries is a short list. with the way homecoming releases new stuff, i know that any new control sets will be polished so i am willing to wait, but i may not be very patient about it 🙂

Melee toons were always the most popular so they get more sets, just like there are tons of IO sets for melee.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝