Copyrighted Generics Issues

23 minutes ago, ABlueThingy said:

If you want me to present to you a lawsuit where Disney filed and said "We're suing this guy because we're jerks" I'm not going to be able to do that.  If you want examples of Disney being frankly inhumanly cruel to people I can find you tons.  If you want examples of hypocritical lawsuits Disney filed I can do that.  If you want examples of lawsuits Disney really didn't need to file I can get that.

Please do and please be sure to include all the facts.  Terms like "inhumane" and "hypocritical" are purely subjective.  I am sure one of the issues you will be posting is articles about Disney declining grieving parents permission to use their property on their child's headstone.  At first glance, yes this seems cruel.  Researching all of the facts changes that perspective entirely. 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, ZacKing said:

Exactly.  A few people here literally lost their shit over people making cosplays in the game because they thought it was tacky and cried and whined about it.  Disney won't give a hoot about this server.

To be clear, I totally respect that the people running this server have rules and want to do what they think is right.  I've no problem with their COC.  i just think we all have a greater chance of getting struck by a random meteor than Disney slapping a lawsuit on anyone.

I think you have that backwards.

A few people lost their shit over having their IP-infringing, rules-breaking costume genericed, came to the forums to complain about it and were then educated by other players as to why they got gen'd, that it's not going to change, and for the most part is supported by the players,

This is not a case of "It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission", this is a case of "Why poke a stick in a hornet's nest when it's incredibly easy to avoid it."

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Thanks 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I think you have that backwards.

No, it definitely is not backwards.  The current rule in the CoC was not always there.  There were several posts back in the day from people questioning or complaining about copycats and the rule got added after those. 

2 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

No, it definitely is not backwards.  The current rule in the CoC was not always there.  There were several posts back in the day from people questioning or complaining about copycats and the rule got added after those. 

Because players were continuing to enforce the rules that were on Legacy, and the ones that got gen'd came onto the forums to complain about it, leading to the HC devs to spell it out in the CoC.

• Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

People will argue till the end of days just because they're too lazy to be creative. Damn that's sad honestly, as it's kinda what this game is about.

This is an incredibly ridiculous and ignorant thing to say. Simply being creative isn't easy for everyone. Exactly the same way math, or reading, or dunking a basketball isn't easy for everyone. 

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Because players were continuing to enforce the rules that were on Legacy, and the ones that got gen'd came onto the forums to complain about it, leading to the HC devs to spell it out in the CoC.

Well no, people were not getting renamed because of it before the rule was put in place.  Several copycats/homages are pictured in older Homecoming sponsored costume contests. 

Posts were made by a few people who thought it "tacky" and "not creative" and were questioning whether copycats were ok or not.  I am sure if you do some forum searching you will find the posts Homecoming made regarding copies not being an issue at the  time.  Of course we all know this did change. 

50 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Please do and please be sure to include all the facts.

I've done enough research for you.  I'm 69% sure you have access to google.

Terms like "inhumane" and "hypocritical" are purely subjective. 

Inhumane has a legal definition and a number of successful lawsuits against Disney have have shown in court that Disney has absolutely treated people inhumanely.  And in the lawsuit against the Michael Jackson Foundation, I'm pretty they sure literally called Disney hypocrites in their counter claim.  I already posted part of that further up thread.

I am sure one of the issues you will be posting is articles about Disney declining grieving parents permission to use their property on their child's headstone.

You'd be wrong.  Mostly I was going to site the lawsuits about how their workers are treated, the deaths and coverups at the various themeparks.

At first glance, yes this seems cruel.

Yes it does, I've not heard of this one so let me go look it up.

Researching all of the facts changes that perspective entirely. 

Wow, nope.  Doesn't change my perspective. 

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

Of course it is the same.  There were a couple of times customers walked into a restaurant he had done some work for and saw his name under the photos he had taken.  They contacted him and it led to paying work. 

<facepalm> 

You seriously don't understand that doesn't disprove my point?  You seriously don't understand the difference between local, personalized, networking/marketing and global, anonymized, "exposure"?

None of the words are synonyms, none can reasonably be confused one for another.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

27 minutes ago, ABlueThingy said:

I've done enough research for you.  I'm 69% sure you have access to google.

So you cannot post all the cases you claimed you could.  Got it.

27 minutes ago, ABlueThingy said:

Wow, nope.  Doesn't change my perspective. 

Well then it is abundantly clear you are just out to hate on any Disney for any reason.  Facts are Disney did not want to say no to the request, but they have to abide by the wishes of Walt Disney himself and not use Disney characters for these purposes.  His request is personally reasonable.  They did offer a one of a kind very special item to memorialize their son, which is a far cry from being "mean" and "cruel".

Edited by ShardWarrior

59 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Well no, people were not getting renamed because of it before the rule was put in place.  Several copycats/homages are pictured in older Homecoming sponsored costume contests. 

Posts were made by a few people who thought it "tacky" and "not creative" and were questioning whether copycats were ok or not.  I am sure if you do some forum searching you will find the posts Homecoming made regarding copies not being an issue at the  time.  Of course we all know this did change. 

It is tacky though.  Just sayin.

Batman doesn't belong in the Watchmen universe.  

Spider Man doesn't belong in TMNT New York. 

Superman doesn't belong on Georgorwell.  

None of them belong in Paragon City. 

1 minute ago, ShardWarrior said:

So you cannot post all the cases you claimed you could.  Got it.

Now I know you're better then that.  I've been taking your claims at face value here.  I've even provided you some examples of Disney's nonsense. Some of the stuff you're requesting is actually in my previous links.  If you're not willing to put a little effort in here to meet me half way it's not going to matter what I post.

Now keep in mind I've not asked you to provide any links or research into your claims.  And I won't, because that would be silly.   I trust that you're not just making stuff up to win rhetorical points on the internet and that's good enough for me.

Well then it is abundantly clear you are just out to hate on any Disney for any reason. 

I mean, there's a lot of reasons to hate Disney.  I came to a different conclusion from reading the same facts you did it seems.

Facts are Disney did not want to say no to the request, but they have to abide by the wishes of Walt Disney himself and not use Disney characters for these purposes. 

...No they don't.  Walt Disney is no longer in control of the company.   And Walt Disney didn't say anything about any other company's property.  They're intentionally obfuscating the issue and emotionally charging it with their dead founder.

Walt Disney didn't want his company's characters used for things like graves.  Because Disney has princesses and cartoon mice and other children's things.  Walt Disney was talking about... Disney. 

He wasn't talking about Marvel Comics characters.  Because this case is actually about Spider-man, not a Disney original.  Someone Walt Disney didn't create and wasn't part of Disney at the time he said that. By Disney's logic George Lucas can't have Star wars characters on his gravestone.  Because, and I quote: "they have to abide by the wishes of Walt Disney himself and not use Disney characters for these purposes."

Using that justification to stop a grieving family from using a cartoon on the headstone of their dead kid is uh... yeah pretty mean and/or cruel

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

This is an incredibly ridiculous and ignorant thing to say. Simply being creative isn't easy for everyone. Exactly the same way math, or reading, or dunking a basketball isn't easy for everyone. 

it's not. and creativity is simply doing anything that isn't someone else's work. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just, y'know..not XxSupermanxX with an EXACT costume replica. It's incredibly ignorant of you not to understand this extremely simple point. If you can't do that, simply don't play CoH. That's it.

oh! About math and reading and such? There's a legit reason for those being difficult and it's understandable if it isn't just natural for everyone. If you literally CANNOT think of LITERALLY anything but Superman's costume? You have a problem and well...see my statement above

Edited by Seed22
  • Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

it's not. and creativity is simply doing anything that isn't someone else's work. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just, y'know..not XxSupermanxX with an EXACT costume replica. It's incredibly ignorant of you not to understand this extremely simple point. If you can't do that, simply don't play CoH. That's it.

oh! About math and reading and such? There's a legit reason for those being difficult and it's understandable if it isn't just natural for everyone. If you literally CANNOT think of LITERALLY anything but Superman's costume? You have a problem and well...see my statement above

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

It does not matter.  These were his express wishes for the company he founded.  That still holds some weight.

See I was kind of trying to make the point that Disney was twisting his words to suit their goals.  Which they were.  But if you ignore that part then yes, I guess you're right?

23 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I love futurama! And your responses are perfectly suited to the personality of your avatar there.

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 4/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, MunkiLord said:

Creative is probably the wrong term.

Avoiding making a direct Superman copy doesn't require much brainpower. 

If you can figure out how to play COX you already are past that level.