Some love for Propel?

I was very sad on Live to discover that my "Teleporter" concept character's lovely Propel power didn't show consistent projectiles.

To me, I would hit a bad guy with a junked car, and quip "Eat Buick, buddy!"

To my confused teammates, the object appeared to be a barrel, a gargoyle, or other random items. No two the same (except rarely, by chance).

Is there some deep, game-changing reason this happens? Seems like our characters are exchanging info about buffs, SFX colors, costume changes... But sending an object ID is out of the question?

At the least, couldn't we use a one-time pad approach, where on login a list of objects is generated which can be shared to my teammates?

If you guys fix this, I promise to double your salaries!

In any event, thanks for listening, and many thanks for my second life back!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 2 months later

I believe the change was made back in the day from uniform visuals to random (players each see different things) because of demands the original design placed on the computers of individuals users.  I miss everyone being able to laugh when a car or forklift was propelled...

Unfortunately, now there seems to be a bug that's preventing some players from seeing their own projectiles.  Not sure if this is related to players not seeing each others' swords, but the viusual bugs are mounting.

/jranger buddy: changing Propel's random objects would ruin my favorite team drinking game!  Whenever someone on the team uses Propel, everyone else shouts out what they see on their client.  Anyone who sees the same object as someone else has to take a shot.  Example:

1. Planter!
  2. Cabinet!
  3. Trash can!
  4. Car!
  5. Statue!
  6. Car!
  7. Globe!

Players 4 and 6 have to take a shot, because they both saw a car.  It's loads of fun: try it some time!  😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I'm guessing a lot of it is that if you have to communicate what the projectile was to ALL observers, it becomes a lot more network traffic... particularly in outside zones.

In a mission, it would matter less because you'd generally only have you and 7 others.  

But... say in Atlas Park?  By the statue, propelling a hellion?

Especially when the game came out and X many people still had Dial-Up.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, DoctorDitko said:

I was very sad on Live to discover that my "Teleporter" concept character's lovely Propel power didn't show consistent projectiles.

To me, I would hit a bad guy with a junked car, and quip "Eat Buick, buddy!"

To my confused teammates, the object appeared to be a barrel, a gargoyle, or other random items. No two the same (except rarely, by chance).

Is there some deep, game-changing reason this happens? Seems like our characters are exchanging info about buffs, SFX colors, costume changes... But sending an object ID is out of the question?

At the least, couldn't we use a one-time pad approach, where on login a list of objects is generated which can be shared to my teammates?

If you guys fix this, I promise to double your salaries!

In any event, thanks for listening, and many thanks for my second life back!

i know that feel. all i want is to combine grav with martial assault so i can propel poisoned sofas at people

• Like 2

OK, how about this: base the object on the least significant digit of the server time.

That gives you 10 different objects, but everyone sees the same ones. If you want more options, take it to 2 digits. Everyone sees the same thing, no need for network chatter.

Please!
I want my Buick jokes!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Scrappers also need it in an Epic Pool

Telekinetic Pool

Lift (Knock Up)

Propel (Blast)

Crush (Hold)

Psionic Tornado (Targeted AOE)

Dispersion Bubble (PBAOE Defense - Maneuvers level defense)

And now that I type that out (just trying to come up with Epic for Propel...I'll have to add this to Eco Thread).