Farming Empyrean Merits

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any good ways to farm Empyrean Merit? So far the only ways I know how to acquire Empyrean Merit is:

1, Every 3 levels after 50(20 Empyrean Merits)

2. The Burden of the Past TF which only takes 20 minutes to complete(2 Empyrean Merits).

Are there any more streamlined ways to farm Empyrean Merits?

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Li_Sensei said:

Incarnate Trials.

That was, on live, the only way to get them, and running a couple of trials per evening, is a good way to get the Empyreans you need, as well as threads, salvage and incarnate XP.

Thanks. That does help. The issue is I am at the Third Tier for all my incarcerate powers and the final tier requires over 40 Empyrean Merits. I have everything else, so its the Merits that are the stopping point. so, was hoping there was a quicker way to get them. 

Running DA mission arcs.  This can be done solo.  Each arc gives 1 Emp merit for completion and you can chose a 2nd as your reward.  The first one (Heather Townsand) is the one most people farm.  There are no kill all missions and no AVs.  In my experience, it is usually faster to choose an incarnate component drop so you can choose something you need instead of the emp merit.  Unless you're just a few emp merits away from your goal, it's usually more efficient to gamble with the drops.   The drop rates are decent.  Usually by the time you have all the components to build 2 tier 3s, you have gotten at Tier 4, too.

Tin Mage and Apex task forces (in Rikti Warzone).  Again, each TF gives 1 Emp merit for completion and you can choose a 2nd as your reward. 

Also, as someone mentioned above you can get Emp merits from running iTrials.  BAF is the most common one and frequently is being formed in Ouroborus.  Just watch LFG channel.

Astral merits, earned during iTrials can be combined to make emp merits by Luna who is found in Ouroborus.

Also empyrean merits can be mailed to yourself from other chars on your account.  So once you've got all your tier 4s, you can save them up and send them to your new toons.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Running DA mission arcs.  This can be done solo.  Each arc gives 1 Emp merit for completion and you can chose a 2nd as your reward.  The first one (Heather Townsand) is the one most people farm.  There are no kill all missions and no AVs.  In my experience, it is usually faster to choose an incarnate component drop so you can choose something you need instead of the emp merit.  Unless you're just a few emp merits away from your goal, it's usually more efficient to gamble with the drops.   The drop rates are decent.  Usually by the time you have all the components to build 2 tier 3s, you have gotten at Tier 4, too.

Tin Mage and Apex task forces (in Rikti Warzone).  Again, each TF gives 1 Emp merit for completion and you can choose a 2nd as your reward. 

Also, as someone mentioned above you can get Emp merits from running iTrials.  BAF is the most common one and frequently is being formed in Ouroborus.  Just watch LFG channel.

Astral merits, earned during iTrials can be combined to make emp merits by Luna who is found in Ouroborus.

Also empyrean merits can be mailed to yourself from other chars on your account.  So once you've got all your tier 4s, you can save them up and send them to your new toons.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been doing the DA trial(Burden of the Past) and it rewards 2 Empyrean Merit.  Its just slow progress when I need 30 for the Very Rare item for the Tier 4 Incarnate Power

What is the BAF Trail?

And If I choose the Salvage for the reward, could I actually get a Very Rare salave?

1 minute ago, cgilm2526 said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been doing the DA trial(Burden of the Past) and it rewards 2 Empyrean Merit.  Its just slow progress when I need 30 for the Very Rare item for the Tier 4 Incarnate Power

What is the BAF Trail?

And If I choose the Salvage for the reward, could I actually get a Very Rare salave?

Yes. all levels of salvage have a chance to drop. 

BAF is an iTrial that is usually run by a league of 3 teams.. (24 people).  If you watch the Looking For Group channel, you'll see them being formed pretty often, and usually they run more than 1 at a time.  The leaders usually give instructions as you go, so don't be afraid to join one and just learn as you go. 

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 minute ago, Shred Monkey said:

Yes. all levels of salvage have a chance to drop. 

BAF is an iTrial that is usually run by a league of 3 teams.. (24 people).  If you watch the Looking For Group channel, you'll see them being formed pretty often, and usually they run more than 1 at a time.  The leaders usually give instructions as you go, so don't be afraid to join one and just learn as you go. 

Awesome. I will look out for it. 

And will definitely start getting the Salvage reward since it would be easier to farm then the 30 Empyrean Merits needed for the Tier 4 Incarnate power. 

13 minutes ago, cgilm2526 said:

Awesome. I will look out for it. 

And will definitely start getting the Salvage reward since it would be easier to farm then the 30 Empyrean Merits needed for the Tier 4 Incarnate power. 

It's not just 30 for the Very Rare, but 2x8 for each Rare as well!

Keep in mind that the Incarnate trials often require that the character have "Incarnate level shifts" in order to contribute. Three of the incarnate powers (Alpha, Lore, Destiny) provide Incarnate level shifts when slotting a T3. The Alpha shift will apply outside of Incarnate content at lvl 50 (and exemplared down a little bit). The Dark Astoria arcs don't require such shifts.

Planning to accept the salvage drops in the DA Arcs is a good way to get experience (for the XP levels and unlocking Incarnate levels) to build up the T3 at your pace.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

It's not just 30 for the Very Rare, but 2x8 for each Rare as well!

Keep in mind that the Incarnate trials often require that the character have "Incarnate level shifts" in order to contribute. Three of the incarnate powers (Alpha, Lore, Destiny) provide Incarnate level shifts when slotting a T3. The Alpha shift will apply outside of Incarnate content at lvl 50 (and exemplared down a little bit). The Dark Astoria arcs don't require such shifts.

Planning to accept the salvage drops in the DA Arcs is a good way to get experience (for the XP levels and unlocking Incarnate levels) to build up the T3 at your pace.

"Level Shifts"? I do have all 5 Incarnate powers at Level 3 and 1 Incarnate power at level 4.  

11 minutes ago, cgilm2526 said:

"Level Shifts"? I do have all 5 Incarnate powers at Level 3 and 1 Incarnate power at level 4.  

The T3/T4 Alpha is what makes a character level "50+1" in all content down to level 45.

The T3/T4 Lore and Destiny each add another +1 to your level, but only in Incarnate Content. These shifts can't be self-seen except on your 'Combat Attributes' page. Other players can see yours (for instance, in the Dark Astoria zone) and vice versa.

If your toon doesn't have the Incarnate Level shifts, you are likely to struggle in Incarnate TFs, because you will be fighting with effectively a lower level against the mobs. This is why I don't really recommend Incarnate Trials as a source of Salvage for 'farming' Incarnate salvage, unless you are content to be a lackey. BAF can generate several Astral Merits, but to do so it needs mostly multi-level-shiffted toons. YMMV.

4 minutes ago, tidge said:

The T3/T4 Alpha is what makes a character level "50+1" in all content down to level 45.

The T3/T4 Lore and Destiny each add another +1 to your level, but only in Incarnate Content. These shifts can't be self-seen except on your 'Combat Attributes' page. Other players can see yours (for instance, in the Dark Astoria zone) and vice versa.

If your toon doesn't have the Incarnate Level shifts, you are likely to struggle in Incarnate TFs, because you will be fighting with effectively a lower level against the mobs. This is why I don't really recommend Incarnate Trials as a source of Salvage for 'farming' Incarnate salvage, unless you are content to be a lackey. BAF can generate several Astral Merits, but to do so it needs mostly multi-level-shiffted toons. YMMV.

Ok, just so I am clear. I am Veteran Level 14. I have T4 Alpha and Tier 3 of the other 5 Incarnate Abilities.  So, I would need to get Lore or Destiny to T4 to be able to handle the TF's? I have T3 Lore and Destiny, but not T4. 

Also, Hamidon raids, if you can get into one.  One option you will be given on completion is four empyrean merits.  On Torchbearer, the custom has been to do these in groups of three, so you can choose one of each reward.  This may be the most time-efficient way; a group of  three raids is usually over in around 45 minutes.  Often done in leagues of 48. 

Both Hamidon and BAF tend to be rather unfriendly to melee characters, with BAF specifically hostile to tankers.  What you want to bring instead to Hamidon is a DPS character with one or more quick recharging ranged ST holds. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

One of the reward options for the hami is 4 emp merits. Just like the first time 80 merit reward you can only get it once every 20 hours or so.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

4 minutes ago, cgilm2526 said:

Ok, just so I am clear. I am Veteran Level 14. I have T4 Alpha and Tier 3 of the other 5 Incarnate Abilities.  So, I would need to get Lore or Destiny to T4 to be able to handle the TF's? I have T3 Lore and Destiny, but not T4. 

As long as your T3 you will be fine. T4 isn't mandatory, but it is good to have eventually.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

6 minutes ago, cgilm2526 said:

Just now, Crimsonpyre said:

As long as your T3 you will be fine. T4 isn't mandatory, but it is good to have eventually.

T3s are more than enough for Incarnate content. Depending on what your AT is, you may not really be able to tell the difference between T3 and T4 Lore. The Destiny T4 is a little more noticeable than the T3 because of Duration and Range. YMMV of course.

There are so many different ways to play with Incarnate content (and power choices) that I'm reluctant to offer specific advice. I will write this: There is no need to wait for Incarnate Shards (or the other Incarnate salvage that drops from specific TFs or from Vanguard conversions) to slot up your Alpha, as it can also use the Threads and other drops. I hoard the Alpha-specific stuff until I'm at a point where I can actually use them, this allows me to experiment with different Alphas.... but my first Alpha T3 is almost always from Threads and Empyrian Merits.

• Like 1

Heathers Arc is easily soloable in 10 mins or less.  Most of my characters can do it in under 9mins.  There’s several guides on how to do it incredibly fast.  You’ll need the Reveal power from the P2W vendor and you just focus on the main objectives, bypassing everything else.  In second mission you actually bypass the final angel wing whatever to first run downstairs to start the married couple arguments, then return to upper floor to dispatch the target while they eat up time with their dialogue.....that shaved almost a min and half right there.  And in final mission /final battle you let them both die.  You don’t even have to fight the Tsoo guarding the entrance to the third mission if you are playing a hero.  Super fast and super easy and yes, you should defer to the salvage drop vs the extra EMP unless you are just a few shy of what you need.  I get a VR about one out of every 10 runs.  Just make sure you set it at -1/x1 to keep it speedy.  

In fact I just T4’d out a new 50 last night and haven’t even hit Vet level 8 yet.  It’s far more efficient than waiting for BAF’s to form up, especially if you play odd hours.

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Crysis said:

In second mission you actually bypass the final angel wing whatever to first run downstairs to start the married couple arguments, then return to upper floor to dispatch the target while they eat up time with their dialogue.

That's nice tip,gonna have to do that from now on.

Also, you can use your Reveal when Sirocco is talking to Tsoo at begining of 3rd mish.  

" In second mission you actually bypass the final angel wing whatever to first run downstairs to start the married couple arguments, then return to upper floor to dispatch the target while they eat up time with their dialogue"

That is good, like really good.  Wish I'd thought of that about 100 Heathers ago.

Eventually you won't need reveal for the Tsoo mission because the map is always the same.  Reveal is only valuable for the first mission since the cave map can vary.

Just another method of farming Empys - assuming 2 accounts, one with a farmer, do a farm session (I only do them AFK now) and put your non-farmer 50 behind a rock to soak up the xp.

Edited by Hedgefund

3 hours ago, tidge said:

There are so many different ways to play with Incarnate content (and power choices) that I'm reluctant to offer specific advice. I will write this: There is no need to wait for Incarnate Shards (or the other Incarnate salvage that drops from specific TFs or from Vanguard conversions) to slot up your Alpha, as it can also use the Threads and other drops. I hoard the Alpha-specific stuff until I'm at a point where I can actually use them, this allows me to experiment with different Alphas.... but my first Alpha T3 is almost always from Threads and Empyrian Merits.

Don't ever accept alpha related salvage as a reweard choice from high end task forces.  Alphas can be crafted two ways: the shards path and the threads path.  It isn't obvious that this is so, because you have to scroll down quite a bit to find the threads alpha recipes.  I usually let shards-path salvage sit and make everything with threads, it's much easier to get rolling on a new 50 that way, and as noted above, empyrean and astral merits can be mailed to yourself to get them to characters that need.  I do use the shards as a stepping stone on the path to t4, because by that point I usually have accumulated enough to make one or two of the steps on the path not taken.   The shards path is harder because the uncommon shards-path salvage needs to be crafted from specific commons and more shards.  Most importantly, shards are only for alpha slots.  Everything else is made from threads and only threads.

I generally am able to craft something to put in an alpha slot as soon as it unlocks.  I will transfer empyreans from characters with many to get alpha to t3 ASAP.  3 merits for an uncommon, 8 for a rare, plus maybe one or two if you don't have enough threads. 

I craft something when judgment/interface open up, but boosting those is not a priority.  Rather, I save the salvage and threads for when lore/destiny unlock, and usually by that time I have enough salvage of the various kinds to get both of those boosted to t3. 

After that it's your choice what to prioritize.   I generally make Destiny and Interface priorities and get those to t4 first, then Hybrid and Alpha.  Judgment is more a big deal on a low damage character than on, say, a blaster. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

8 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

That is good, like really good.  Wish I'd thought of that about 100 Heathers ago.

Eventually you won't need reveal for the Tsoo mission because the map is always the same.  Reveal is only valuable for the first mission since the cave map can vary.

Just another method of farming Empys - assuming 2 accounts, one with a farmer, do a farm session (I only do them AFK now) and put your non-farmer 50 behind a rock to soak up the xp.

Yeah farming a 50 can get the Emps quickly and some nice recipe drops also.  But you can also just do this long enough to unlock all the slots.  The best (for me anyways) strategy I’ve found to max out your T4 earning potential is to get all your slots unlocked first and then T3 out Alpha, Destiny and Lore slots before doing anything else.  That gets you all three level shifts (50+3).  Once you’ve got those level shifts you are fully capable of soloing a bunch of incarnate level arcs in DA for threads and such, and have a far easier time in BAF, LAM etc as well.  Then you can slot out the other choices at your leisure although getting T3 in Judgement is usually my next goal just for the added DPS.

Unless I just get insanely lucky with a bunch of VR drops I don’t even bother with T4’s until I’m fully level shifted.

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crysis said:

The best (for me anyways) strategy I’ve found to max out your T4 earning potential is to get all your slots unlocked first and then T3 out Alpha, Destiny and Lore slots before doing anything else.  That gets you all three level shifts (50+3).  Once you’ve got those level shifts you are fully capable of soloing a bunch of incarnate level arcs in DA for threads and such, and have a far easier time in BAF, LAM etc as well.  Then you can slot out the other choices at your leisure although getting T3 in Judgement is usually my next goal just for the added DPS.

This is often what I do with my toons as well. The Judgment power can also be useful for clearing content in those DA arcs.

I'll add this as an alternative to speeding through the Heather Townshend DA arcs: When I run them at x8, and clear all the maps I have been getting at least one PVP/Very Rare recipe drop as well. You don't have to turn up the difficulty, just the size of enemies. I think my fastest times (minimal lollygagging, but not really trying for 'speed') is just under 30 minutes with a couple of my toons. Others with less raw DPS clear the entire arc in about 50 minutes. If I stop to craft recipes or dump items on the AH the times get longer, obviously.

1. The first map can be a PITA because there are certain areas where the Talons will be VERY spread out. I usually summon Lores to help clean out this map, and because I don't need them on the second map.
  2. The second map has spawns at common places, but only the first floor is annoying if you get runners. I suppose the mobs must use those 'chicken legs' for something! I never use Lores on this map unless somehow they are joining from the first mission.
  3. The third map has Tsoo Sorcerers which can make this a grind for some characters at x8. I used the Lores again for the middle third of this map. This is a good mission for several of the Tsoo defeat badges.
  4. The fourth map has Talons again (like to run) but except for the third mob spawn they are usually well-grouped for AoE. If I'm still in this mission when the Lores recharge, I'll bring them out to help with stragglers/runners.

I have been doing the Heathers TF a few times now and have it down to about 15 minutes. Since I have Invis, I two of the missions are cake. The other two i fight a little. all of the tips abov I  will try as they all seem good and able to speed up the TF. Going to pick Salvage from now on too. Just got a Rare so the Tier 4 Incarnate powers want be so hard ot get now. 

57 minutes ago, FrauleinMental said:

I have Heather down to about 12:10-ish consistently, my best time so far is 11:40 (when the Tsoo mission has two glowies in the center, since there's always a glowie in the Warden's room).  Running 0/x1 on my mind/kin with Invisibility.

My hardest part of this mission is finding who the Tsoo leader is. LOL