Is there a better Blaster power than dehydrate?

ranster44

Probably so. But I have only played a few blasters and I love this power! But I'm only level 18 so what do I know? In any case, I took Water/Radiation. Is there anything I should know before I get too far in? Is this a viable set for teaming and post 50 play?

5 hours ago, ranster44 said:

Probably so. But I have only played a few blasters and I love this power! But I'm only level 18 so what do I know? In any case, I took Water/Radiation. Is there anything I should know before I get too far in? Is this a viable set for teaming and post 50 play?

Slot Dehydrate with a 5+1 combo of both Accurate Healing sets so as to slot both procs into the power (Theft of Essence and Touch of the Nictus) while limiting how much recharge gets slotted into the power (so the procs have a higher chance to happen).  You then use Dehydrate as the Tidal Power 3x consumer when you don't have Water Jet ... or you use Dehydrate as the Tidal Power 2x builder to get to 3x so as to "double tap" with Water Jet after use of Dehydrate.

When you've got Dehydrate slotted with Accurate Healing and the Theft of Essence proc the power will add to both your green AND blue bars, turning it into a mega sustaining power that allows you to take damage but still keep fighting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

35 minutes ago, ranster44 said:

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.  I'm new to Water and Radiation so there is a steep learning curve!

And suggestions for mez protection?

Incarnates, grab 4-8 break frees at all times, one of the ATO sets grants +1 mag protection proc for attacks and can stack, the Sorcery pool, etc. I would say Clarion is your best bet.

Edited by Camel

To add on to what has been said about mezz protection:

1) Know when you don't need it.  Blasters have three usable attacks when they are mezzed.  If you can defeat your current enemies with those, mezz isn't worth worrying about.

2) Identify mezzers and remove them from the fight first.  Open with your own mezz, abuse line of sight while you fight the rest of the group, or use a more permanent solution.

3) Learn to quickly combine inspirations quickly into break frees. You can do this while another attack is animating with no penalty, if you are fast enough.

I was curious about the mezz protect ATO, it can go into ST or AoE attacks, am I correct in guessing that it is better to go into a fairly frequently usable AoE since it only has to proc on one target to provide the mezz protection?  I was thinking that based on normally suggested slotting for the Force Feedback proc and other "self affecting" procs. 

Is there a better Blaster power than dehydrate?

Well.... Inferno comes to mind...  Fireball, Blaze, all the Snipes... I also like Build-up and Aim, 

(yeah, dehydrate is pretty sweet, too)

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 5/13/2020 at 5:44 PM, Redlynne said:

Slot Dehydrate with a 5+1 combo of both Accurate Healing sets so as to slot both procs into the power (Theft of Essence and Touch of the Nictus) while limiting how much recharge gets slotted into the power (so the procs have a higher chance to happen).  You then use Dehydrate as the Tidal Power 3x consumer when you don't have Water Jet ... or you use Dehydrate as the Tidal Power 2x builder to get to 3x so as to "double tap" with Water Jet after use of Dehydrate.

When you've got Dehydrate slotted with Accurate Healing and the Theft of Essence proc the power will add to both your green AND blue bars, turning it into a mega sustaining power that allows you to take damage but still keep fighting.

OR, you remember that you are a blaster and not a defender, 2 slot nictus for the healing, proc, and hp, and 4 slot the rest as an actual damage power. With Recharge. The procs do not fire as often, but the base damage becomes 250+ and a worthwhile addition to your attack chain even if you do not blow your combo points on it. And, radiation already has a darned fine sustain.

Blasters do extreme damage as an AT, and unless you are in an environment where you are externally capped (fulcrum shift) damage enhancements will always outperform procs on a decent-damage power. If you are always planning on teaming up with kinetics or chain-munching reds (farming) then by all means, sacrifice damage for procs... Otherwise, it's a poor strategy to waste Water's highest st damage attack by turning it into a proc mule.

Edited by Frostweaver

This is my Water/Atomic blaster, Squallout. She is more than capable of soloing hard content, and has very high recharge without hasten. She is built to stealth exemplared content and smash bosses with relative ease, and also to farm at +2/x8 s/l in fair safety (or +4/8 without bosses) as well as handle herself well on ITF's, Itrials, MSR's, and Dark Astoria.

Because Atomic performs so well in Melee, I have loaded her for melee-range brutality as well as enough ranged stuff to help slow down mezzes which only hold on for a few seconds anyway.
The 47 slot is open. I used it for acrobatics for a while, then hasten, then eventually I just dumped posi fist in there for polishing off bosses.

Her place is directly in the middle of a fight, but NOT behind the tanker, usually on the other side of the spawn, because all those cones and aoe's centered on the melees will mess her up hard.

About every 30-40 seconds, you can hold most of a spawn, pop your BU's , and then proceed to dump almost 3000 aoe damage on everything in it in about 15seconds, with an extra thousand for irritating bosses and such. Absolutely priceless on steamroll teams, post-musculature your aoe DPS is about 2-300 (depending on buildups and stuff) and your ST dps hovers around 250 DPS. (these numbers are important for knowing if you can solo a tower, GM, or AV. Once you get support core, of course, that cranks it up another 15% plus added survivability. Musculature ALSO helps with the -def and immobilizes, which is quite nice (although not as important as it may be to other blasters) as you can keep that debuffed boss from running like a chicken, and minimize his tier 9, after you whack him a couple of times.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Squallout: Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Hydro Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(7)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(7), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Water Burst -- PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(11), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(11), PstBls-Dam%(13), FrcFdb-Rechg%(13)
Level 4: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(19)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(21), GssSynFr--ToHit(21), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(25)
Level 10: Ionize -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- TchoftheN-%Dam(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(27), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 14: Boxing -- KntCmb-Knock%(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(50), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(50), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(50)
Level 16: Beta Decay -- ToHitDeb-I(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(31)
Level 18: Water Jet -- Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Acc/Dmg(33)
Level 20: Metabolic Acceleration -- EndMod-I(A), Heal-I(34)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(34), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(36)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(39), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(39)
Level 28: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40)
Level 30: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(40)
Level 32: Geyser -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(40), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg(42), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 35: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 38: Atom Smasher -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46)
Level 44: Radioactive Cloud -- BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Positronic Fist -- Hct-Dmg(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(15)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Pyronic Radial Final Judgement
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
------------

To me, being able to solo farm a few vet levels in AE is VERY Important.... not being able to do it means you aren't really a blaster 🙂

Edited by Frostweaver

As happened before I disagree with Redlynne on the subject of attacks-that-heal. We can do some pretty spiffy frankenslotting that maxes damage and boosts healing while even adding one damage proc to the mix so the attack keeps on being an attack but one that keeps our HP topped off.

I slot 3 Thunderstrike (no Recharge), 1 Dam Proc, 1 Theft of Essence proc, and 1 Achilles Heel proc. Changing the Thunderstrike to maybe a Hami-O and two damage procs would increase the damage, but lose some Ranged D.

On 5/21/2020 at 3:49 PM, Coyote said:

I slot 3 Thunderstrike (no Recharge), 1 Dam Proc, 1 Theft of Essence proc, and 1 Achilles Heel proc. Changing the Thunderstrike to maybe a Hami-O and two damage procs would increase the damage, but lose some Ranged D.

This is my preferred slotting too, my secondary is temporal and Im ranged focused, so Dehydrate really only needs to top up what hits thru softcap and gets thru the Absorb shield.

Edited by Carnifax

On 5/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, Scientist said:

I was curious about the mezz protect ATO, it can go into ST or AoE attacks, am I correct in guessing that it is better to go into a fairly frequently usable AoE since it only has to proc on one target to provide the mezz protection?  I was thinking that based on normally suggested slotting for the Force Feedback proc and other "self affecting" procs. 

I slot it in one of my tier 1 attacks (or tier 2 of primary) so that I can use it while mezzed and possibly break the mez.