So when people say they solo at +4/×8...

leeowensoas

On 2/12/2022 at 4:28 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Been soloing a Bane SoA the last few days. Got him up to the low 30s and realized he was still getting his ass kicked by some enemies (granted, we're talking Vanguard Sword and the one mission with 3 Crimson Revenants, but even Family and Carnies are giving him trouble,) and he JUST moved from +1/x2 to +1/x3.

I'll admit, I'll be shocked if he can run at max diff fully tricked out at 50 based on his performance now.

I found the endurance hard to manage whilst leveling my Fortunata if i ran too many toggles, Bane is probably the same? The damage could be a problem also if it's taking a while to kill mobs, using up endurance and taking damage. Procs would help whilst leveling also.

Conditioning isn't very good either.

Once i got a build going and end management sorted i could run the toggles and it became quite resilient. Bane should be the same...stick with it 🙂 They are more a support class than solo.

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, plainguy said:

Question I tried 801.2 and my powers were delayed by minutes.. Was that -recharge buff from the mobs or a bug ?

There are normally a couple very heavy debuffer mobs in each group, I forget what power sets they use, but expect a wide variety of very large magnitude debuffs. (Although they don’t normally stack unless you agro two different groups.)

You can build up quite a large amount of slow resist with winter set bonuses though, so with some tweaks you can mitigate that particular issue. Plus as a bonus you can zoom around in caltrop patches

21 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

The Awakened in Mr. G's arc redside. Freakin nasty bastiches.

I went looking at the Wiki and not seeing it so maybe there is additional stuff I'm not remembering correctly to find it on that site, but there are a number of missions in that arc or through that contact against mobs which are built to screw over players with -recharge and end drain. One mission, if you are set to solo AVs, should have 6(?) of them in a single mob. That's the arc where I rethought my default diff setting. Mr. G and the third DA arc are two which made me pause the most in terms of end game content. Anything else I have been comfortably doing +3/x8 with IOs and Incarnates factored in. I did work out +3/x8 against the Mr. G mobs with the debuffs, but that was life on the edge and a Fort with numerous controls.

Non game created content, 801 series on AE is the best place to kick the tires on a build. Those are specifically built with the screw you factor.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 2/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, plainguy said:

Question I tried 801.2 and my powers were delayed by minutes.. Was that -recharge buff from the mobs or a bug ?

That was most likely one of the Cold Domination debuffs.  A /Cold will rip you to pieces.  On live anytime I wanted to totally screw an AV or someone in global yelled for help with an AV, I'd pull out the SO Only built Cold/Ice Defender.  Even on pure SOs it'd completely gut AVs.

On 2/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

The Awakened in Mr. G's arc redside. Freakin nasty bastiches.

Yes, those.  The only arc in the game that I fear.

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Non game created content, 801 series on AE is the best place to kick the tires on a build. Those are specifically built with the screw you factor.

*chuckles* I love you too.  *throws you a left over box of valentine candy hearts*

Edited by Linea
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

I make sure any of my toons can reasonably solo +4x8 defenders included. That said after I verify they can I usually drop the difficulty as I do a lot of speed runs. I'd keep the difficulty maxed if there was more merit reward or a higher drop chance for purples/PvP IOs but I don't worry about XP/Influence.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:28 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Been soloing a Bane SoA the last few days. Got him up to the low 30s and realized he was still getting his ass kicked by some enemies (granted, we're talking Vanguard Sword and the one mission with 3 Crimson Revenants, but even Family and Carnies are giving him trouble,) and he JUST moved from +1/x2 to +1/x3.

I'll admit, I'll be shocked if he can run at max diff fully tricked out at 50 based on his performance now.

Ah, but you can. I have spent a lot of time working on my Bane. They can solo 4x8 against many groups.

Though, it definitely won't be a Fortunata steam roller.

My favorite part is at 6:10. Perfect crowd control stealth strike.

Trapdoor run:

Edited by KaizenSoze
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2022 at 6:54 PM, Gobbledegook said:

I found the endurance hard to manage whilst leveling my Fortunata if i ran too many toggles, Bane is probably the same? The damage could be a problem also if it's taking a while to kill mobs, using up endurance and taking damage. Procs would help whilst leveling also.

Conditioning isn't very good either.

Once i got a build going and end management sorted i could run the toggles and it became quite resilient. Bane should be the same...stick with it 🙂 They are more a support class than solo.

The problem with Widows is claw attacks. The toggles are cheaper than most other AT toggles.

I am slowly, very slowly, working on a project to show that claw attacks, at least the AOEs are stupidly expensive. Some of the Fort specific attacks are also very expensive, like Psionic Tornado.

You can compare Tanker/Brute/Widow spin costs, the damage per endurance is really bad for Widows.

Don't compare to Scrapper claws, that is a special set that doesn't follow the formulas. It's quite a bit more powerful than the formulas would suggest.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

There is an arc redside that can pit you against 8 clones of you and I died so many times against them with my DP/MC blaster that I shudder to think what they would be like if they also got affected by difficulty settings of +4/8.

I wonder if that's the one our Redside versions of Green Machine went up against.  Yikes it took us a while to clear that room.

3 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

The problem with Widows is claw attacks. The toggles are cheaper than most other AT toggles.

I am slowly, very slowly, working on a project to show that claw attacks, at least the AOEs are stupidly expensive. Some of the Fort specific attacks are also very expensive, like Psionic Tornado.

You can compare Tanker/Brute/Widow spin costs, the damage per endurance is really bad for Widows.

Don't compare to Scrapper claws, that is a special set that doesn't follow the formulas. It's quite a bit more powerful than the formulas would suggest.

Always thought it was because of the extra toxic damage but I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

Brute: Spin, 6 damage/end.

Tank: Spin, 7.6 damage/end.

Widow: Spin, 4.75 w/50% of 7.93. 

I assume the Tank numbers being higher with Fury not being factored in for a Brute. Widow has the highest end cost so it kind of needs that 50% to go off. Scrapper is over 10 damage/end without Crits factored in.

To add, recharge for Tanks, Brutes, and Widows is 14 seconds. End usage for Tanks and Brutes is 13.146. For Widows it is 15.444. Widows with the reduced end cost would be 5.9 and 50% chance of 9.31 which seems far more fair. It puts it in the range of 7.6 overall, which oh noes, it does tank level damage.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

25 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

To add, recharge for Tanks, Brutes, and Widows is 14 seconds. End usage for Tanks and Brutes is 13.146. For Widows it is 15.444. Widows with the reduced end cost would be 5.9 and 50% chance of 9.31 which seems far more fair. It puts it in the range of 7.6 overall, which oh noes, it does tank level damage.

Alas, critical for Widows only happen on the initial attack. They have no way, except placate which still barely anyone takes, to get another crit.

Most of a fight, critical are not being generated, unlike scrappers and stalkers.

Also, VEAT crits are 66%, not 100% criticals. Sigh. I need to get this all in a spreadsheet.

2 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Also, VEAT crits are 66%, not 100% criticals. Sigh. I need to get this all in a spreadsheet.

While you're at it, see if you can determine any consistent equation that might have incorporated claws cast times against the original equations for dam/end/rec but incorporating what was supposed to be claws' secondary effect of 20% less end and recharge. I was thinking about working on it one day but gave up when it all seemed to be completely chaotic.

Back on topic... I just wish +4/x8 w/bosses w/AVs meant the same damn thing all the damn time.

Instead, in DA when you have 3 level shifts, you're only fighting +1s with your diff at +4.

In PI, those +4s are only +3 with nothing more than a T3 alpha slotted.

Or if you ate an Ultimate inspiration.

Or you're fighting the enemies that GET level shifts as you beat them down.

31 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

All of my characters are 4x8 solo characters, but I'm currently playing around with a dp/martial badge hunting blaster.

Depends on the mood. Did you want inspiration?

DP/Martial wins all the style points 😛 haha and you always inspire Sai 😛 you know, I'm looking at something that I can build to solo extremely tough content. Thinking maybe a Water/Dark Corruptor or an Ill/Dark Controller. I've never run a controller, so I'm thinking of different combos there.

26 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ya got me curious... what is your *slowest* max diff soloist?

I'd actually have to think about that, assuming we are discounting the failed ideas. I had a max range ar/energy that looked a lot better on paper than in practice and hated the end result.

Maybe the grav/storm, but I don't think that counts since wormhole is kinda kneecapped on that diff, and the combo is all about porting things to the killzone.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ScarySai said:

I'd actually have to think about that, assuming we are discounting the failed ideas. I had a max range ar/energy that looked a lot better on paper than in practice and hated the end result.

Had an AR/Nrg on legacy... Boost Range + Cones/Snipes is giggle fodder... But, the whole time, you're AR.

Death is the best debuff.

1 hour ago, ScarySai said:

I liked the idea of being able to full auto a whole pack from across the room and have capped defenses, but energy is annoying with the clickies, and I forgot FA was a 10 target cap at the time. Oof.

Still one of if not the best damn sound in the game.

• Like 1