Detectives/Brokers are 2 per zone needed?

Last night a friend and I teamed and we both had the same detective in KR. This was great as we both got credit for missions. However, in Steel, tonight, we had different detectives. We both didn't get credit towards our detective even when we had the same mission. This means we have to do double the radio missions and the bank mission twice so we could both get to choose the same contact. 

Question 1: Do we really need 2 detective/brokers per zone? 

Question 2: If so, could we be given the option to pick our detective/broker? 

Question 3: Also if we have to have 2, could radio/newspaper missions made to give credit to all team members regardless of the detective/broker? 

Side issues, can both detectives be outside the police station AND be given cell phones? 

Thanks.

Edited by Chuckers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At least redside, I have noticed which Broker I am assigned depends on how I enter the zone the very first time. 

It seems to pick the broker closest to that entrance. 

If I enter Cap South for the FIRST time I enter the zone, I get Desdemona the Glint.

If I enter Cap North for the FIRST time I enter the zone, I get Boris the Russian. 

Every time.

I suspect there's something similar for all zones.  Whether you enter by Tram or by Base Porter or by Street connection, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

At least redside, I have noticed which Broker I am assigned depends on how I enter the zone the very first time. 

If I enter Cap South for the FIRST time I enter the zone, I get Desdemona the Glint.

If I enter Cap North for the FIRST time I enter the zone, I get Boris the Russian. 

Every time.

I suspect there's something similar for all zones.  Whether you enter by Tram or by Base Porter or by Street connection, etc.

I believe blue side it might be Origin related, as all my Magic characters have the same, But they are different from either Mutant or Tech characters.

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

2 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

I believe blue side it might be Origin related, as all my Magic characters have the same, But they are different from either Mutant or Tech characters.

It's not origin. Just doing a quick runthrough, I checked two Natural origin characters. One had Croquette in Talos, Rogers in Steel. The other had Basins in Talos and Martins in Steel. Which makes sense - you wouldn't want to burn out someone with the *same* contacts and arcs in the *same* zones just because someone really likes a specific origin.

Honestly, it could be as oddly based as your name color in chat (which as I recall was determined based on character name in some fashion.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

11 hours ago, MTeague said:

Every time.

If that was the case, everyone entering Port Oaks would get Mickey the Ear instead of that guy who's a zillion miles away from the dang boat. 

3 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

In a similar thread a couple days ago it turns out some people really like having the inside detective for role play reasons.

I'd be happy if they were interchangeable, so I could go to the outside or inside detective. And if they had cell phones.

Okay.. we can leave one inside.. if I can always choose the outside one 😉

I think we should have an undercover detective that we have to meet at the Paragon Dance party... or he's IN a mailbox on the street of Brickstown. 

• Like 1

I don't think how you enter the zone has anything to do with it. All of my blueside characters arrive in Kings Row for the first time via the tram, and it feels completely random as to which detective they get, though most of them seem to get Becktrees.

The order seems to be by floating window.  One day, I created three characters within a hour of each other.  All red side, all mutant.  I went to all seven red side zones, and all three got the same brokers.  I created three characters about four hours later.  All mutant, all red side. I went to all seven red side zones (using the same method as before), and all received the same brokers but largely different brokers than the previous group four hours ago.

2 minutes ago, Apparition said:

The order seems to be by floating window.  One day, I created three characters within a hour of each other.  All red side, all mutant.  I went to all seven red side zones, and all three got the same brokers.  I created three characters about four hours later.  All mutant, all red side. I went to all seven red side zones (using the same method as before), and all received the same brokers but largely different brokers than the previous group four hours ago.

Maybe it's by account.. My friend and I created our characters within minutes of each other and entered each zone at the same time and ended up with the same contact in KR, but different contacts in Steel.

Both of those simply sound like "Random thing is being random" to me. 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 1 month later

Revisiting this, I think it'd be great if we could talk to either Detective. So people could choose whether to go indoors or outside.

Also, why the heck are the police vans so far away from the police station? 

I'm leveling up and doing the Radios & Bank in each zone. The vans in Independence Port, Brickstown, and Peregrine Island are almost a mile away from the station. What the heck for? Why travel so far to get to the van, then all the way back to the Detective? Why no cell phone?