I found something really awesome..I don't think this is working as intended

Frozen Rune

OK so I was playing around with my Ice/EM blaster the other day in Mids trying to get perma Powerboost. I figured it would help me during hami raids holding Mitos. So this is the build I came up with

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Frozen Rune: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Blast -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Energy Punch -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 4: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(15), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(15), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(17), GssSynFr--ToHit(17), GssSynFr--Build%(19)
Level 6: Aim -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(23), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(39), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(39), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- GldNet-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), GldNet-Rchg/Hold(19), GldNet-Acc/Rchg(21), GldNet-Acc/Hold(21), GldNet-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(23)
Level 10: Bone Smasher -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(25), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg(27)
Level 12: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(29), RctArm-ResDam(31), RctArm-EndRdx(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 16: Energize -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(33), Prv-Heal(33), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(33), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 20: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 26: Spirit Ward -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 30: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42), RechRdx-I(42), RechRdx-I(43), RechRdx-I(43), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 32: Blizzard -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(45), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 35: Rune of Protection -- RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(A), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(39), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), RctArm-ResDam(40)
Level 38: Flash Freeze -- Empty(A)
Level 41: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- Pnc-Heal(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(46), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(48), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(48), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(48)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Pnc-Heal(11), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(11), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(13), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(13), Mrc-Rcvry+(37)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 1: Quick Form 
------------

Powerboost has a recharge of 13.95 seconds! Excellent!

So I went to try this out and something odd started happening. Instead of the power just refreshing (like Hasten when you have perma Hasten) the power began to stack on top of itself ON TOP of resetting the duration. It seems that this would take my powerboost out to infinity if I let it run that long. 

I made a video showing the progression, you'll notice eventually I end up softcapped to Smashing damage after a couple applications

https://streamable.com/mnu0ap

Anyways, I thought this was fun and wanted to show everyone. Now if we could only get this on dominators....

powerboost.jpg.ed435338157fc166375250ab059f0e6f.jpg

Edited by Frozen Rune
Deleting huge photo
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Machariel said:

Cool find!

I wonder if there's any speed strats that would be improved by this finding.  💡

Also I wonder why the S/L defense caps out but the heal mod keeps increasing 🤔

Because the Heal Mod had not reached Cap yet? Pretty sure Heal mods have no cap. I could be wrong though.

14 minutes ago, Machariel said:

Cool find!

I wonder if there's any speed strats that would be improved by this finding.  💡

Also I wonder why the S/L defense caps out but the heal mod keeps increasing 🤔

So it looks like what is happening here isn't Power Boost stacking, since that would be shown as a linear increase in defense and heal bonus with each cast (i.e. you'd see heal bonus go up by 78.67 each time). It seems like Power Boost is boosting the already boosted values though, by the percentage boost Power Boost is supposed to give. The math works out like this:

Initial boost: 78.672

Next boost: 78.672 * (1 + 0.78672) = 140.5648

Third boost: 78.672 * (1 + 1.405648) = 189.2572

...and so on. The reason you see defense stop going up while the healing bonus keeps going up is because the way that math works out, you're seeing a smaller and smaller increase with every cast, but the absolute change per cast for heal bonus is high enough where it'd take 44 casts of Power Boost before combat attributes would stop showing a change. The defense bonus follows similar math as shown above but only applies to the defense granted from Weave and Combat Jumping (3.5% and 1.75% defense base, respectively).

• Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

4 hours ago, macskull said:

So it looks like what is happening here isn't Power Boost stacking, since that would be shown as a linear increase in defense and heal bonus with each cast (i.e. you'd see heal bonus go up by 78.67 each time). It seems like Power Boost is boosting the already boosted values though, by the percentage boost Power Boost is supposed to give. The math works out like this:

Initial boost: 78.672

Next boost: 78.672 * (1 + 0.78672) = 140.5648

Third boost: 78.672 * (1 + 1.405648) = 189.2572

...and so on. The reason you see defense stop going up while the healing bonus keeps going up is because the way that math works out, you're seeing a smaller and smaller increase with every cast, but the absolute change per cast for heal bonus is high enough where it'd take 44 casts of Power Boost before combat attributes would stop showing a change. The defense bonus follows similar math as shown above but only applies to the defense granted from Weave and Combat Jumping (3.5% and 1.75% defense base, respectively).

Magic, got it. 

• Haha 2

Very interesting find. I never thought to try this. But for those who are not in the know, Power Boost is not flagged as "ignore buffs", this is why Clarion Radial + Power Boost (in that order) is a multiplicative boost. But if you go Power Boost + Clarion Radial (which does ignore buffs) is additive.

I never thought to try to power boost a power boost, but it makes sense. You will buff up a previous boost and it would multiply with the new boost, and you can perpetuate that to fantastic numbers. I could not see the numbers in your video on my phone (not enough resolution), but my guess is your defense capped out at +300% (4x strength) of whatever toggles you had, plus your set bonuses. You'll find that defense buff powers cap out at that number (+300%). This is why when I use Clarion Radial + Power Boost + Farsight, it caps at 50% defense (12.5% is base, 4x stronger is 50%).

Kudos to you for finding this. There is an easy fix for the devs...simply flag Power Boost as "ignore buffs", just like they do Power Buildup. Maybe if they do that, they won't nerf the power boost + farsight synergy :). Please devs, don't nerf PB + Farsight.

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Yeah, there have been several mentions of how +/- special aren't supposed to effect each other starting with the release of Issue 26 Page 4, it's just that Power Boost in its various forms (Energy Manipulation, Primal Forces Mastery for Controllers, Soul Mastery for Defenders and Corruptors, Mace Mastery for Masterminds, and the various Dominator versions of Power Up) never got the "ignores buffs and enhancements" flag that Weaken, Benumb, Clarion, Amp Up, Adrenal Booster, and Power Build Up all got.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube