Half-Serious Idea: Food Blast

So, I read some interesting replies to a topic in the Beta forums, and one user mentioned a "tropical fruit punch" powerset, I knew that this suggestion was obviously a joke. However, I think there may be indeed a basis for theme and interest in an actual food-fighting based powerset that actually throws things like pies, tomatoes, water bottles, etc. at enemies to damage/hinder them. I think actually a "Shaggy" from Scooby Doo or possibly... oh dear... a bit of a Toon Town-ish vibe with the pie-throwing (obviously not along the lines of copyright infringement, but this idea is used in many cartoons and Toon Town, while probably most salient, is definitely not the first or last to use pie-throwing). 

I think this could be a very interesting and viable idea... now I understand this is rather silly, but I don't think every powerset should be themed around "I'm such a god look at me!" And there are a number of appreciable natural approaches that could be jovial/fun. 

I think an "Improvised Weapons" Set would be great.  Probably make a Melee, an Assault, and a Blast Set from similar assets.

Then, the "gimmick" of the Set is that you get a drop down list of potential 3D assets to use as weapons, and you can toggle them on or off for each Power.

So, what to use a broken bottle?   Sure!   Or instead would rather use a dead fish?  Just flip the toggle.

Hundreds of character concepts could be serviced by such a (series of) Set(s).

35 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

With the right colors, you could turn Water Blast into Vomit Blast ...

This is a perfect case of using the tools you have to get the results you want, and I love seeing it!  Use your imagination and the customization tools to rationalize your powers, rather than ask developers to spend time and resources to make up something brand new just for you.  I have a Time/Energy defender named Compound Interest.  In my mind, and visually, his energy powers derive from throwing money at someone and using his time powers to cause it to multiply and knock people down.  Pretty silly right?  I would never waste the developers' attention and time and ask them to make a money set.

• Confused 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

Water Blast is probably the closest overall, but I really don't think it's the same sort of "idea" with animations, as you know most food is solid, the "beverage" concept is certainly there. I'd be all for new animations for Water Blast that include food as possibly even an April Fool's edition joke possibly? 

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

This is a perfect case of using the tools you have to get the results you want, and I love seeing it!  Use your imagination and the customization tools to rationalize your powers, rather than ask developers to spend time and resources to make up something brand new just for you.  I have a Time/Energy defender named Compound Interest.  In my mind, and visually, his energy powers derive from throwing money at someone and using his time powers to cause it to multiply and knock people down.  Pretty silly right?  I would never waste the developers' attention and time and ask them to make a money set.

Except realistically, there is no way to really introduce "food" itself as given with the tools available. Beverages, sure. I personally didn't love Electrical Affinity at all, actually if I'm being extremely blunt, I thought it was a completely missed opportunity. Electric-themed sets are extremely abundant featuring several Electric-themed epic pools, the loosely-related Storm Summoning already being here, Electric Control, Electric Melee, Electric Blast, etc. yet, I did not bash it in the recommendations. I understand looking out for developer resources, but at the same time, you probably shouldn't aim to shoot other's suggestions down due to that reason alone. This is meant to a fun, different, and interesting concept that is jovial and unlike many of the other sets. I think we have a lot of serious themes in this game, however we don't have enough "jovial" or "natural" themes. How about let the devs decide that element as to whether they find it's worth it? 

Edited by Zeraphia

6 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

as you know most food is solid, the "beverage" concept is certainly there. I'd be all for new animations for Water Blast that include food as possibly even an April Fool's edition joke possibly?

spacer.png

You're reaching for the wrong tool.

What you want is a collection of alternative items to be summoned by ... Propel ... and you simply choose the alternative set of items summoned at the Costume Editor.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 minute ago, Redlynne said:

spacer.png

What you want is a collection of alternative items to be summoned by ... Propel ... and you simply choose the alternative set of items summoned at the Costume Editor.

You know honestly that would be a fabulous suggestion, I think a "food blast" could still be a viable idea, but I really created this thread more so to hear some interesting "food"-related suggestions such as this!

As you say, One Size Fits All answers to ideas and suggestions rarely ever work out in reality! I would be more than happy with this if they can implement a "food-themed" object version of the animations in Gravity Control!

2 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

I can see this being an excellent way to introduce "weaknesses" for example, let's say Tyrant is allergic to peanut butter, but we throw a ton of PB&J sandwiches at him and he just starts melting! That would be hilarious!

spacer.png

• Haha 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

spacer.png

I was just thinking about Propel when I read the thread title. Good point. I would be down with this as an actual suggestion using the Propel tech!

Edited by golstat2003

8 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Better idea - recolor it to match flavored drinks and add an ice-themed second set.  Slushie Blast would be great this time of year.