How do damage procs scale by level?

Yomo Kimyata

I have been informed that damage procs do scale by level, i.e., a level 10 Gladiator's Strike +smashing will do more damage on a level 50 character than on a level 10 character.  Does anyone have any specifics on this scaling (or can anyone either verify or refute it)?  Also, I assume that an attuned pure damage proc would have the same scaling?  And that non-damage procs (like Fury of the Glad -res, for example) do not scale?

Inquiring minds want to know.

@Sir Myshkinand @Bopper, I'm looking maybe not straight at you but certainly sending meaningful glances in your approximate direction.

Who run Bartertown?

18 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I have been informed that damage procs do scale by level, i.e., a level 10 Gladiator's Strike +smashing will do more damage on a level 50 character than on a level 10 character.  Does anyone have any specifics on this scaling (or can anyone either verify or refute it)?  Also, I assume that an attuned pure damage proc would have the same scaling?  And that non-damage procs (like Fury of the Glad -res, for example) do not scale?

Inquiring minds want to know.

@Sir Myshkinand @Bopper, I'm looking maybe not straight at you but certainly sending meaningful glances in your approximate direction.

Follow this link to my tools. Go to the sheet that does Proc Probabilities and you will have a list of damage by level shown for Regular damage procs and Epic procs

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Anytime 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

What about about damage type?  In Mids The Psi proc in taunt set always seems to be pitifully low, dinked with a dark armor brute and put it in the stun toggle; 2 damage and in a straight attack its like 14.  Also seems to be lousy damage in in none damage toggles; the PAoE slow toggle is weak at 3 damage for any proc/type but put 5 slots in Irradiate on Rad Melee and its impressive floating numbers. 

Is it just my version of mids?  Playing with builds lately and skipping damage procs unless purple or an effect like +recharge/-resist.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

20 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

What about about damage type?  In Mids The Psi proc in taunt set always seems to be pitifully low, dinked with a dark armor brute and put it in the stun toggle; 2 damage and in a straight attack its like 14.  Also seems to be lousy damage in in none damage toggles; the PAoE slow toggle is weak at 3 damage for any proc/type but put 5 slots in Irradiate on Rad Melee and its impressive floating numbers. 

Is it just my version of mids?  Playing with builds lately and skipping damage procs unless purple or an effect like +recharge/-resist.

By default, Mids' displays the average damage after accounting for different variables.  You can change it to show maximum damage, which will show the full proc damage, in Options -> Configuration -> Effects and Maths.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

By default, Mids' displays the average damage after accounting for different variables.  You can change it to show maximum damage, which will show the full proc damage, in Options -> Configuration -> Effects and Maths.

Piggyback on this by saying that it is safer to generally assume Mid's is wrong on proc damage calculations no matter what because its probability formula (currently, as I don't believe any corrective patch has changed it yet) does not correctly account all variables in the right manner. There are many (potentially all, just less apparent) abilities that are attributing some aspects of global recharge in their calculations when they should not. The probability math is better served by hand at the moment (if one really wants to know).

Specifically in regards to the concern with Auras, those are cycling at a rather low probability in a 10/s pulse which is why Mid's shows such a low value (2-8 damage depending) average. Again, safer to not rely on the probability calculations to understand what's going on from a damage perspective. In AoE effects that damage is going towards specific enemies that rolled for the proc, not the entire group thus making it effectually inaccurate as a collective form of damage.

4 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

assume Mid's is wrong on proc damage calculations

That is a safe assumption to make, not so much to assume it is wrong but rather one should not always blindly trust what Mids gives you. In regards to Mids, if someone is using the latest version they should be getting the correct Proc Probabilites most of the time. There are a few gotchas, mostly in regards to pseudopets. But click powers and toggle auras should be correct. However, there is a bug that could cause confusion. For some reason the PPM of the proc that used to show when you hover over an enhancement now has been replaced with a somewhat erroneous proc probability. I say somewhat because it's actually taking the PPM and trying to calculate the probability to proc for a 10s auto (I don't know why). So rule of thumb, when you see this, multiply the % by 6 and you will get the original PPM of the power.

1 hour ago, Outrider_01 said:

What about about damage type?  In Mids The Psi proc in taunt set always seems to be pitifully low

That's a Mids bug. For some reason that proc is still using the old 20% flat rate percentage instead of PPM. So that is why you're seeing worse performance. The actual proc itself does the same damage (71.75) and same PPM (3.5) as most other damage procs.

Thanks guys

Oh yeah, that looks a hell of a lot better when giving an idea for slotting.  I always took the numbers with a grain of salt, but procs were so wierd at times I couldn't really tell it would be better then something else.

Edited by Outrider_01

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer