Subforum for Character Bios with Link idea.

So another thread popped up on the suggestion forums to lengthen the amount of words we can use for character bios. Of course like many other ideas posted on that forum, it kind of got debated from multiple angles to a point that it was starting to look like another idea was going to be shot down. However, then come along this guy ( @Hyperstrike ) that I quoted with a brilliant idea...

After reading his idea in my quote on this topic, I absolutely believe this to be one of the greatest ideas put forth on this subject that I have ever seen. Unless somebody else can find a negative to this, I honestly think this is the ultimate solution to anyone wanting more room for character bios.

Thoughts?

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably to the roleplay board, might be odd in the shard boards.

... half wondering if we'd want an option to turn off comments.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I endorse this idea megabigtime.

I don't think it necessarily needs to tie in to roleplay, I know a lot of non-RPers like to write bios and develop their headcanon, including myself. Maybe alongside art & Multimedia is a better spot? I personally think it would warrant its own forum.

A system of accessing it from in game info screens would be amazing, as long as its secure and perhaps exclusively links to forum topics here on these boards.

2 hours ago, Lines said:

I endorse this idea megabigtime.

I don't think it necessarily needs to tie in to roleplay, I know a lot of non-RPers like to write bios and develop their headcanon, including myself. Maybe alongside art & Multimedia is a better spot? I personally think it would warrant its own forum.

A system of accessing it from in game info screens would be amazing, as long as its secure and perhaps exclusively links to forum topics here on these boards.

Yeah, I don't roleplay, but I do create themed characters will creative backgrounds. I guess it's a form of Roleplay, I just don't roleplay with others, heh.

2 hours ago, Lines said:

I like this idea as it gives some control as to where the link points to.  Having the link able to go anywhere may be problematic. 

A sub-forum for bios.... sure, why not?

But, not to take anything from Hyper's suggestion (Hey, Hyper! Long time no see!), @Mimiru is hosting a RP wiki (alongside her "Unofficial Homecoming Wiki") at https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev, for those who might want something more elaborate (and time-consuming) than plain ol' text-only bios.

image.png.4437d2faa4f3330c3ccffa3a8a655a14.png

I know, wiki editing is an acquired taste, and not for the faint of heart...

Edited by Archiviste

48 minutes ago, Archiviste said:

A sub-forum for bios.... sure, why not?

But, not to take anything from Hyper's suggestion (Hey, Hyper! Long time no see!), @Mimiru is hosting a RP wiki (alongside her "Unofficial Homecoming Wiki") at https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev, for those who might want something more elaborate (and time-consuming) than plain ol' text-only bios.

image.png.4437d2faa4f3330c3ccffa3a8a655a14.png

I know, wiki editing is an acquired taste, and not for the faint of heart...

The main difference is that a link would be set up for players to click on rather than copy and paste. Not everyone is familiar with a keyboard enough to know to hit Ctrl+C and then paste it to their browser to read a bio. With a link, they could just click it and it take them directly to the bio. And even if that part would be difficult to implement, this would be on a more official level with a Website they are more familiar with.

We have a tool for mods that allows players to download any mod for the game they wish because the mod does the job for them. It's a great tool, but even though the tool works perfectly, there are still those who want something more official. Official makes people feel all warm and squishy inside, hehe.

Edited by Solarverse