Focused Feedback: Enhanced Gamepad Support, /interact and other /commands

Jimmy

• City Council

This is a Focused Feedback Thread

• Please note that Focused Feedback threads are heavily moderated to ensure they remain on topic.
    • Any off-topic posts in these threads will be removed without warning.
    • The thread will be locked when no more feedback is required, but you are more than welcome to continue the discussion in a new thread.
  • The most up-to-date version of the changes will be listed in the first post.
  • The changes in each build will be posted as replies.
    • Changes from the previous beta build are listed in green.
      • Green text will become white text in the next set of patch notes.
    • Any changes or fixes that are only relevant to the beta builds are listed in blue.
      • Blue text will be deleted in the next set of patch notes as it is only relevant to highlight changes between beta builds, not a changes from live.
    • Known issues are listed in purple.

Enhanced Gamepad Support

• Added support for using the left and right triggers as modifiers with XInput
  • Added several convenience aliases for usage with keybinding

Virtual Mouse Mode

• Implemented virtual mouse mode for XInput gamepads
  • Holding both triggers now enters virtual mouse mode:
    • The left stick moves the mouse pointer. This is analog, with a small amount of acceleration past halfway pressed
    • Moving the right stick up and down moves the mouse wheel
    • Moving the right stick left and right passes through to your normal binds, allowing you to turn the camera
    • The A/Cross button is the left mouse button
    • The B/Circle button is the right mouse button
    • The Y/Triangle button is the middle mouse button
    • The d-pad will snap your mouse pointer around the screen
    • The X/Square button will snap your mouse pointer to the center of the screen

New Slash Commands

• /interact
    • Allows you to interact with objects in front of you as if they had been clicked
    • This includes contacts, doors, ouroboros portals, etc
  • /extra_modifiers [mod1] [mod2] [mod3] [mod4]
    • Allows setting up to four extra modifiers
      • These (currently) only work when no other modifier is pressed
    • Recommended for XInput users is /extra_modifiers LBumper RBumper
  • /controller_modifiers <first> <second>
    • Allows setting two controller buttons as modifiers
    • On non-XInput devices, when both of these are pressed together, the controller will enter virtual mouse mode
    • The arguments are the button numbers to use (from 1-24)
    • Recommended for XInput users is /controller_modifiers 7 8
      • (the two triggers, since these are currently hard-coded as virtual mouse mode on XInput)
  • /controller_vmouse <LMB> <RMB> [MMB] [Snap]
    • Configures virtual mouse mode buttons
    • By default, button 1 is the LMB and button 2 is the RMB - the other two are unset
    • Recommended for XInput users is /controller_vmouse 1 2 4 3
      • (which will give you the configuration from the above patch notes)
  • Further explanation on the use of additional modifiers from @Telephone:
Spoiler

On the live shards, there are three pre-defined 'modifiers' (Shift, Ctrl, and Alt). These can be used in any keybind, etc.

The patch allows you to define up to six additional modifiers: two 'Controller Modifiers' and up to four 'Extra Modifiers'. The 'Controller Modifiers' are special, as pressing them together enables Virtual Mouse Mode. They do work as bindable modifiers just like the pre-existing three.

The up-to-four 'Extra Modifiers' are just additional inputs (either keys or buttons) that can be treated as modifiers when no other modifier is pressed. So for example, you could do /extra_modifiers LBumper RBumper to make the bumpers modifiers on your XInput gamepad. You could then use (for example) LBumper+Joy1 as a /bind (but also still be able to use LTrigger+LBumper as a separate bind).

The 'Extra Modifiers' aren't limited to just gamepad buttons, however! If you want, you can bind any key on your keyboard as one (but note that due to some things that still need refactoring, you can't bind a specific Shift, Ctrl, or Alt key on your keyboard yet).

You also point out that you both controller- and extra-modifiered the triggers. That could definitely cause issues and we'll fix that. We also don't (currently) have  way for you to clear _all_ your extra modifiers, so we'll have to fix that as well (you can just specify a single one with /extra_modifiers and it should clear the other three).

Not noted in the patch notes is that we added a number of other convenience aliases which you may have already noticed (e.g. LTrigger, LeftTrigger, RightBumper, StartButton, AButton, and so on).

Other Changes

New Command: /interact

• Allows you to interact with objects in front of you as if they had been clicked
  • This includes contacts, doors, ouroboros portals, mission objectives, etc

Command: /powexec_location

• Several improvements have been made to /powexec_location to make it more reliable when used with teleportation powers
    • Directional and terrain-following mode are more robust and less likely to stop short of the full distance
    • Target mode no longer requires line of sight to the target, so long as the target is in a location that is a valid teleport destination
    • Target mode no longer tries to occupy the same space as the target - instead it selects a location as close as possible to the target without being pushed away

Command: /window_scale

• The /window_scale command takes the window "contactdialog" to independently resize the window where contact give you mission descriptions and such
  • Usage: /windowscale contactdialog 2 to make it twice as big (accepts anything from 0.65 to 2)

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council

Build 1 - October 24th, 2020

Spoiler

Enhanced Gamepad Support

• Added support for using the left and right triggers as modifiers with XInput
  • Added several convenience aliases for usage with keybinding

Virtual Mouse Mode

• Implemented virtual mouse mode for XInput gamepads
  • Holding both triggers now enters virtual mouse mode:
    • The left stick moves the mouse pointer. This is analog, with a small amount of acceleration past halfway pressed
    • Moving the right stick up and down moves the mouse wheel
    • Moving the right stick left and right passes through to your normal binds, allowing you to turn the camera
    • The A/Cross button is the left mouse button
    • The B/Circle button is the right mouse button
    • The Y/Triangle button is the middle mouse button
    • The d-pad will snap your mouse pointer around the screen
    • The X/Square button will snap your mouse pointer to the center of the screen

New Slash Commands

• /interact
    • This includes contacts, doors, ouroboros portals, etc
  • /extra_modifiers [mod1] [mod2] [mod3] [mod4]
  • /controller_modifiers <first> <second>
    • Allows setting two controller buttons as modifiers
    • On non-XInput devices, when both of these are pressed together, the controller will enter virtual mouse mode
    • The arguments are the button numbers to use (from 1-24)
    • Recommended for XInput users is /controller_modifiers 7 8
      • (the two triggers, since these are currently hard-coded as virtual mouse mode on XInput)
  • /controller_vmouse <LMB> <RMB> [MMB] [Snap]
    • Configures virtual mouse mode buttons
    • By default, button 1 is the LMB and button 2 is the RMB - the other two are unset
    • Recommended for XInput users is /controller_vmouse 1 2 4 3
      • (which will give you the configuration from the above patch notes)
  • Further explanation on the use of additional modifiers from @Telephone:
Spoiler

On the live shards, there are three pre-defined 'modifiers' (Shift, Ctrl, and Alt). These can be used in any keybind, etc.

The patch allows you to define up to six additional modifiers: two 'Controller Modifiers' and up to four 'Extra Modifiers'. The 'Controller Modifiers' are special, as pressing them together enables Virtual Mouse Mode. They do work as bindable modifiers just like the pre-existing three.

The up-to-four 'Extra Modifiers' are just additional inputs (either keys or buttons) that can be treated as modifiers when no other modifier is pressed. So for example, you could do /extra_modifiers LBumper RBumper to make the bumpers modifiers on your XInput gamepad. You could then use (for example) LBumper+Joy1 as a /bind (but also still be able to use LTrigger+LBumper as a separate bind).

The 'Extra Modifiers' aren't limited to just gamepad buttons, however! If you want, you can bind any key on your keyboard as one (but note that due to some things that still need refactoring, you can't bind a specific Shift, Ctrl, or Alt key on your keyboard yet).

You also point out that you both controller- and extra-modifiered the triggers. That could definitely cause issues and we'll fix that. We also don't (currently) have  way for you to clear _all_ your extra modifiers, so we'll have to fix that as well (you can just specify a single one with /extra_modifiers and it should clear the other three).

Not noted in the patch notes is that we added a number of other convenience aliases which you may have already noticed (e.g. LTrigger, LeftTrigger, RightBumper, StartButton, AButton, and so on).

Other Changes

New Command: /interact

• This includes contacts, doors, ouroboros portals, mission objectives, etc

Command: /powexec_location

• Several improvements have been made to /powexec_location to make it more reliable when used with teleportation powers
    • Directional and terrain-following mode are more robust and less likely to stop short of the full distance
    • Target mode no longer requires line of sight to the target, so long as the target is in a location that is a valid teleport destination
    • Target mode no longer tries to occupy the same space as the target - instead it selects a location as close as possible to the target without being pushed away

Command: /window_scale

• The /window_scale command takes the window "contactdialog" to independently resize the window where contact give you mission descriptions and such
  • Usage: /windowscale contactdialog 2 to make it twice as big (accepts anything from 0.65 to 2)

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
8 minutes ago, Replacement said:

@Jimmy I think this title might want to be updated to include slash commands.  /Interact is huge and has nothing to do with gamepad Support.  Also, this might be the only place to discuss improvements to powexeclocation?

Done 🙂

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Several improvements have been made to /powexec_location to make it more reliable when used with teleportation powers

It might be exclusive to Starless Step, since I'm starting with that and haven't double checked with jaunt/CT yet, but this isn't working. I just teleport into the wall like I did before.

Edited by ScarySai

I'm excited to give this a whirl. (been distracted by that which will not be mentioned)

I have had issues in the past with the D pad (Up = Follow, Down = Cancel, Left = Tray 1, Right = Tray 2)  [edit] this was solved a while back

eb2c485626d94f9c8de3db184b182900.jpg

[update] I can report that the controller is still working without issue on Beta. I have not added  /interact yet.

This is what I use 100% of the time for game play and have been doing all testing on the Beta EM changes with.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 10/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, Jimmy said:

/extra_modifiers [mod1] [mod2] [mod3] [mod4]

Once a button is defined as a modifier, can it still be bound as normal?

Pretty sure I can rebind shift by itself so I think the answer to this is yes but it feels like it's worth asking about.

Example: I want to maintain default right-click-drag to move camera, but also have right click act as a modifier for other actions.

Edit: I'll test tomorrow. Kinda weird that I posted this when I could find out...

Edited by Replacement

On 10/24/2020 at 2:21 PM, ScarySai said:

It might be exclusive to Starless Step, since I'm starting with that and haven't double checked with jaunt/CT yet, but this isn't working. I just teleport into the wall like I did before.

powexec location target "power"?

• City Council
21 hours ago, Troo said:

I'm excited to give this a whirl. (been distracted by that which will not be mentioned)

I have had issues in the past with the D pad (Up = Follow, Down = Cancel, Left = Tray 1, Right = Tray 2)

eb2c485626d94f9c8de3db184b182900.jpg

@Number Six actually resolved a number of these issues some time ago. There was a problem where the D-Pad on DS4s was reporting directions in a different manner than expected (shifted by 45 degrees, essentially). Please let us know if you're still seeing these!

• City Council
17 hours ago, Replacement said:

Once a button is defined as a modifier, can it still be bound as normal?

Pretty sure I can rebind shift by itself so I think the answer to this is yes but it feels like it's worth asking about.

Example: I want to maintain default right-click-drag to move camera, but also have right click act as a modifier for other actions.

Edit: I'll test tomorrow. Kinda weird that I posted this when I could find out...

Yes, it absolutely can still be bound as normal.

For public education purposes: We spoke about this in Discord and Replacement bound RButton+S to Sprint and it worked as expected (after doing /extra_modifiers rbutton).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Telephone said:

@Number Six actually resolved a number of these issues some time ago. There was a problem where the D-Pad on DS4s was reporting directions in a different manner than expected (shifted by 45 degrees, essentially). Please let us know if you're still seeing these!

Yes this was solved. (sorry for any confusion)

I am currently excited for /interact as that is currently the only reason to use a mouse during game play. This is an awesome addition (if it works).

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

17 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

Are PC game controllers supposed to work now? I have not been able to get my controller to work at all?

I think we still need to enable it or say we want to use it.

Someone can likely provide a screen shot of the settings section before I get home and get one.

19 hours ago, Replacement said:

Once a button is defined

@R this may or may not be helpful.

I have always created what I want to do in the powertray and then mapped that powertray slot to the controller.

3 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

I tried to enable it and nothing happened.

Did you map the keys after enabling it? (I remember it being a combination of things that needed to be done) I'll double check and document if no one chimes in. (hour and a half maybe)

not important info: I LOVE being able to use the wired controller, lets me play in front of a huge big screen TV while sitting in a recliner.

Edited by Troo

• City Council
On 10/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, arthurh35353 said:

Hmm. I didn't try to do that, but no default binds means you have to bind everything manually. There should have been a default Xbox/PS4 setting or option.

This is a good point. As Troo points out above, there is a Joystick profile, but the defaults may be somewhat dated. I'll look into the possibility of adding an easy way to load defaults for modern gamepads into that profile.

• Like 1

for clarity, those picture above are likely just my defaults.

mapping the buttons to power tray slots and specific functions has worked very well. using the left/right dpad to toggle between powertrays allows for a lot to be controlled without too much craziness. ( I self limit to tray 1 and tray 2 but someone could go wild and do alot in the trays )

On 10/29/2020 at 5:00 PM, arthurh35353 said:

Hmm. I didn't try to do that, but no default binds means you have to bind everything manually. There should have been a default Xbox/PS4 setting or option.

once we set it up it can be available for all characters.

Edited by Troo

• City Council
1 hour ago, Kalius said:

Can anyone confirm either or both of the following;

• Compatibility with the Xbox Adaptive Controller
  • Support for Xbox and PlayStation controllers with the Mac OS version of the game

While I cannot confirm this as I do not own one, the Xbox Adaptive Controller is a standard XInput device and should be 100% supported. One of the drivers for the enhanced gamepad support is to improve accessibility options, so it would be great to have this confirmed by someone who does own one.

Edited to add: the people who championed, designed, and built the Xbox Adaptive Controller are personal heroes of mine. Microsoft will probably never see a penny of profit from the device itself, but the fact that they went and and built it shows an amazing commitment to social good and realizing that doing the right thing can be more important than money. Gaming can be for everyone and their commitment to inclusion warms my cold villain heart.

• Like 2