Best Melee AT to take support pools?

Menelruin

I think I know what you're shooting for. I have a similar character I played on Live and here on Homecoming.

Broadsword/Regen is perfectly servicable for a paladin like character. Invest in IO sets that boost smashing and lethal defense for build viability and your stamina+Quick Recovery will allow you to run most leadership toggles when not facing energy drains. Vengeance and Victory Rush can be potent even on a scrapper, as can Tactics. Assault and Maneuvers can be taken for thematic reasons. Aid other has limited use in combat due to the restrictions, but stimulant is very helpful for your team particularly at lower levels.

Stocking up on temporary powers to supplement your character skillsets can also be very fun. Rune of Warding through Ouroroboros is a fun one (more thematic than the powers in the Sorcery pool, IMO).

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 9:05 AM, Menelruin said:

Quasi, maybe?  My concept was that someone can produce both healing and detrimental bio-compounds, but then uses a sword as an "applicator" for the negative ones, since he doesn't have fangs or claws or anything.  Though if a paladin were an ACTUAL option, I would've made one long ago....

What are you ultimately looking to achieve by including the Medicine pool, is it just for Aid Other? If this is the case, then the AT doesn't really matter. If you're looking at use for yourself as well, I can tell you up front that you'll be doing yourself far more harm than good (especially on a Regen) taking an ability that has a low comparative value and can root you in an unpleasant way.

In fairness to your description, it sounds like you're looking for something along the lines of Poison, but there's no weapon involved there. You could do a Poison + Archery combo on a Defender or Corruptor to have that "applicator" approach, or honestly do a Trick Arrow once the Beta changes move to live.

Taking the sword aspect out of the concept, Peacebringers are the CoH equivalent of a Paladin character. Mix of Offense and Defense with both self heal and ally heal capabilities. In that particular case, they also have fangs and claws and things.

• Sad 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:59 AM, Menelruin said:

So I know in general it's not really worth it to take pools like Medicine, etc, as compared to just taking a support AT, but if you want to do one for theme/concept's sake, which one is LEAST BAD, if you want to take those?  Was hoping to do something with Sword and Regen........

Shield Defence / Broad Sword Tanker :

The PalaTanker - Archangel Build !

giphy.gif

image.png.482a60d567a51994dd3c54a81c1f517b.png

A Paladin / Archangel is not a Babysitter, healing is not in theme imo 🙂

The Rebirth incarnate will be perfect for a lay on hands power.

Leadership Maneuver + Grant cover will give you the ability to provide 20% def all to your team around you.

Tactics and assaut will give them strenght and guide them in the darkness !

You will be protected by having them near you with Phalanx Fighting !

You will be able to summon angels with the Kov Lore incarnate !

You will be able to cast lightnings upon your foes with mu lightning and Ion jugement incarnate !

PalaTanker - Shield Defense - Broad Sword.mxd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

19 hours ago, Tsuko said:

Shield Defence / Broad Sword Tanker :

The PalaTanker - Archangel Build !

giphy.gif

image.png.482a60d567a51994dd3c54a81c1f517b.png

A Paladin / Archangel is not a Babysitter, healing is not in theme imo 🙂

The Rebirth incarnate will be perfect for a lay on hands power.

Leadership Maneuver + Grant cover will give you the ability to provide 20% def all to your team around you.

Tactics and assaut will give them strenght and guide them in the darkness !

You will be protected by having them near you with Phalanx Fighting !

You will be able to summon angels with the Kov Lore incarnate !

You will be able to cast lightnings upon your foes with mu lightning and Ion jugement incarnate !

PalaTanker - Shield Defense - Broad Sword.mxd 5.47 kB · 0 downloads

Ooh, shiny!

You CAN have no FX on any power you choose!

15 hours ago, Menelruin said:

A fee I already paid in advance, as I want this for my energy/energy melees!  😉

You CAN have no FX on any power you choose!

/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 1$$SuppressCloseFXdist 300"
This will turn off your auras and armors visual effects for you, in your view only. Others will still see them.
/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 0" will turn all the visual fireworks back on.
Pick two keys you like.

• Thanks 1

Heals in general are somewhat less helpful the closer you get to end game. If I were in your position and were looking for a melee AT that can be supportive I'd probably make a Shield/Rad/Soul or Bio/Rad/Soul tanker.

With the Shield/Rad/Soul you have Grant Cover to give other melees some bonus defense, defense debuff resistances and recharge debuff resistances. With Rad Melee you can put both achilles and FotG into Irradiate Ground to help soften up mobs with the -res from the procs and the -def built in.. With soul you'll get access to Controller level Darkest Night for -dmg and -tohit debuffs in a large radius to protect your team. All of which would be universally more beneficial and supportive than simply trying to play part time healer ala aid other. That being said if you really want a heal, you could take Rebirth Destiny later on for a large area heal +regen.

The Bio option would trade the bonus def and debuff resistances from Shield for more -res through Evolving armor to stack with Achilles and FotG fro Irradiated Ground.