How to make working doors?

Phalanx37

I'm trying to make a door that separates the teleporter to the main hall but can't for the life of me!

Are the door just aesthetic?

You can't make an animated door. Its just not feasible in how the base builder works at this time.

With that said, you can "fake it" by using the new teleporter objects (I like the Interdimensional Shard object for this) and the internal SG base beacons and teleport points. This allows you to create transport between locations within your base.

So I could put one of the "for show only" doors on a wall and then push the Interdimensional Shard partly through the door/wall so you see just enough of it to click. The I'd add one of the SG beacons (Aleph for example). Then I would drop a teleport point on the ground in front of that door (Beth for example)

Then on the other side of that wall I could put another "fake" door, another Interdimensional Shard and a teleport point, an SG beacon matching the teleport point I placed above (Beth in this case), then drop a teleport point matching the beacon placed above (Aleph in this case).

This would give you a clickable object on the door that transitions you to the other side where the teleport point is located and vice versa.

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

I did this trick to create a simple in-base network. I used the police boxes, colored blue of course. Then I set them against the wall to conceal the beacons. And thus, I have an in-base TARDIS network.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I did this trick to create a simple in-base network. I used the police boxes, colored blue of course. Then I set them against the wall to conceal the beacons. And thus, I have an in-base TARDIS network.

Ooh, I think when I finally roll my /Time character I've had brewing in my head for a few days, that's what I'll do.

With that said, you can "fake it" by using the new teleporter objects (I like the Interdimensional Shard object for this) and the internal SG base beacons and teleport points. This allows you to create transport between locations within your base.

So I could put one of the "for show only" doors on a wall and then push the Interdimensional Shard partly through the door/wall so you see just enough of it to click. The I'd add one of the SG beacons (Aleph for example). Then I would drop a teleport point on the ground in front of that door (Beth for example)

Then on the other side of that wall I could put another "fake" door, another Interdimensional Shard and a teleport point, an SG beacon matching the teleport point I placed above (Beth in this case), then drop a teleport point matching the beacon placed above (Aleph in this case).

This would give you a clickable object on the door that transitions you to the other side where the teleport point is located and vice versa.

Example: a small portal tucked behind a door. The door is rotated slightly so as to appear somewhat open, allowing the player to see and click the portal on the wall behind it which then teleports the player to a different part of the base.

dd85swc-6c2f4bb5-827a-4bc8-950a-7414cf0ccaeb.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2U0ZWE0NjY2LTBlMWEtNGMwZi1hNzFmLThiNmQ2ZmViZjIzZVwvZGQ4NXN3Yy02YzJmNGJiNS04MjdhLTRiYzgtOTUwYS03NDE0Y2YwY2NhZWIuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.byOsua4eqd538pRmvrRarMbPPpMJWXG5ilpbE3EquLU

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Takamoto Industries is using this (I really should put a bookshelf door or three on the wall where the secret entrance to the Paragon Armor Defense Squad - "A Suit of Armor Around the City" - section of the base, which is not a separate SG that shares the base, just my personal name for the 'night job' of the TI employees :p ), but I never thought to grab screenshots to show how it's done.

I did something like this (I guess that's one reason they put in the in-base porters) and found it tedious when placed between say the rez and the rest of the base. Don't put it there, it'll piss you off. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

There are actual animated open and close doors in game already, mystifies me why they weren't added to the base building menu's  :o

You may also know me in game as...

Mupi Widt - AKB048 - Pulsar Girl - Captain Dad - Popsicle Girl - Carpathian - Tatanya Angelica Snow

There are actual animated open and close doors in game already, mystifies me why they weren't added to the base building menu's  :o

There's something in how doors work that makes them currently unfeasible for base construction. I am sure once whatever technical hurdles preventing their use are overcome we'll get them.

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

Bases are instanced maps but, as I understand it, they have code that is different from mission maps (and AE?).  Basically, working doors have behavior code built into them that breaks bases.  That is the simplest explanation that I've seen Leandro give.

Yeah I get that, which is why I am mystified  :P

If 7 years hasn't corrupted my memory, then I will TRY to expand upon Impish Kat's accurate and helpful post.

It was stated by the Devs/Mods at Paragon Studios at one point that bases were originally designed and coded with PvP base raids as a feature. As an example the code was supposed to prevent base builders from placing items blocking PvP raiders from accessing the parts of the base. Not that it even seemed to slow the exploiting of PvP base design. One alternative tactic used was to place high graphics objects (hundreds of torches in a hall) thus causing the opponents computer to lag worse then a Issue 4 Hami-Raid or  for those who never did one a HD youtube video on a 56k modem.

Many of the requested base wish list items were not EASILY implemented because of that coding. In Issue 13 base raids were disabled allowing certain base editing features to be "easily" added, however some features that were requested were still hampered from being implemented by this original code.

Fully working doors MIGHT well be one of those items.

I am hoping if it isn't already in the works that a graphic-less Teleport portal can be added that when passed over will automatically TP  someone to one of the beacons. Think of a CoT Teleporter without the ring, Though it might "open the door" for griefing :( and thus be impractical.

Like wise a generic clickable and tintable glowing aura that acts like the current teleport items but with customizable text so it can be place on objects such as doors and windows. Thus one could have it say when clicked

"Enter the lounge"

"Cancel"

Sorry for going off topic.

I just logged in specifically to make a request: add a variety of doors to the list of objects that can be used as portals. Please?