December 26th - Retro Theme Costume Contest!

GM Kaiju

• Lead Game Master

⚔️RETRO Themed!🤠

As 2020 comes to a close (some might say good riddance!) and we look forward to the new year, Father Time has decreed the December costume contest theme will be RETRO! Join us on December 26th in Kallisti Wharf and go back to your favorite yesteryear to show everyone your creative best! Any era and style will do-- Ancient Egypt, Roaring 20's, New Wave 80's, it's up to you! 

When?

• December 26th @9pm UTC
  • 9pm UTC is:
    • 9pm UK time
    • 4pm Eastern time
    • 1pm Pacific time
    • 10pm Central European time
    • Click here to see 9pm UTC in your timezone

Where?

• Statesman Plaza in the center of Kallisti Wharf on all five shards (Torchbearer, Excelsior, Reunion, Indomitable and Everlasting)
    • Heroes can reach Kallisti Wharf via the tram
    • Villains can reach Kallisti Wharf via the Smuggler’s Submarine in Sharkhead Isle and Grandville

Prizes?

• The 4 runner-up costumes on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Retro Costume Contest Runner-Up
    • The Fashion Victim Badge 
    • 150 reward merits
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Retro Costume Contest Finalist 
    • 300 reward merits
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • A permanent golden title: Retro Costume Contest Winner
    • 1000 reward merits

Costume manipulation wont be considered legitimate in costume contests. Any costume manipulation will be disqualified. It is an issue that will be fixed and isn't allowed on HC.

Also please note that costume contest judging is subjective and everyone's tastes are different. Please be kind to our GM's who volunteer their time to keep these servers running as smooth as possible. If you have any issues, please contact me here or on discord! 

• Like 6

Okay. One of the runner-ups on Everlasting was in a full set of retro sci-fi. That isn’t a player designed costume. I know these things are opinions but you don’t need an opinion to spot originality. Or lack of it.

These events keep on getting more disappointing. I love that they’re held, but it seems that not much discussion is had amongst the GMs before the events are held. Maybe I’m wrong, but the results don’t quite show it all the time. 

Awarding a win to a glitched costume. Outfits that are most busy than a Jackson Pollock. Miscommunication on judging and theme (Animals, for example). Pre-Made costumes being finalists. City of Heroes has one of the best costume generators out there. Period. These CCs deserve a bit more... I don’t know.... more! Right?

Edited by Outback
  • Like 5

Okay. One of the runner-ups on Everlasting was in a full set of retro sci-fi. That isn’t a player designed costume. I know these things are opinions but you don’t need an opinion to spot originality. Or lack of it.

I guess originality isn't what they're looking for. :)   The winner on Excelsior also had on the retro sci-fi, even though she was standing next to someone also wearing the retro sci-fi.

One of the runner-ups was wearing a trench coat and fedora, pretty much identical to another contestant. 

Shrug.

3 hours ago, krj12 said:

I guess originality isn't what they're looking for. 🙂  The winner on Excelsior also had on the retro sci-fi, even though she was standing next to someone also wearing the retro sci-fi.

One of the runner-ups was wearing a trench coat and fedora, pretty much identical to another contestant. 

Shrug.

Yes it is a shame when players put a lot of thought into a costume and they lose to a costume with just a couple small changes and no real effort put into it like the Trench coat/fedora which has been seen a million times before. I even had one called Justin Case lol.

Maybe the name helps or even the account name lol

Edited by Gobbledegook

14 hours ago, Outback said:

These events keep on getting more disappointing. I love that they’re held, but it seems that not much discussion is had amongst the GMs before the events are held. Maybe I’m wrong, but the results don’t quite show it all the time. 

Awarding a win to a glitched costume. Outfits that are most busy than a Jackson Pollock. Miscommunication on judging and theme (Animals, for example). Pre-Made costumes being finalists. City of Heroes has one of the best costume generators out there. Period. These CCs deserve a bit more... I don’t know.... more! Right?

I feel like players should volunteer to be able to judge alongside GMs for a more diverse opinion. I always see people looking at the costumes but not participating in the CC and they could help spot glitched costumes too. Also pre-made costumes and using the same costume in multiple contests shouldn't be allowed, that's not creativity, it's lazyness.

I think it was run smoothly and I appreciate the volunteers taking the time to run the event especially during the holidays. I can understand folks resentment that they weren't chosen, but these volunteers run so many costume contests that I can more or less give them the benefit of the doubt - they've seen their share of what makes a good costume and I trust their judgement.

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

Yes it is a shame when players put a lot of thought into a costume and they lose to a costume with just a couple small changes and no real effort put into it like the Trench coat/fedora which has been seen a million times before. I even had one called Justin Case lol.

Maybe the name helps or even the account name lol

Yes there was one runner up that used mostly the Retro Space pieces but how he coloured it was quite well done and in a 30's comic book style.  The winner used a bunch of the Cyberpunk pieces but also went full 80's and did everything in bright neon blue and orange.

Ok so some people just used one specific theme of costume pieces to do their look.  But doing a RETRO theme is tough because there are too few ways costume pieces in the game to convey a retro look.  I spent a couple hours trying different ways to flesh out my 80's punk rocker that was also a Geokinetic.  But I got close enough to make runner up on my server.  And the costumes that did place were diverse.

One of the issues I saw on my server were people just showing up in costumes that didn't fit the theme.  It was just "Random Edgelord #6" or "Bare Skin Female" with a Retro Rocket on her back.

I can understand some frustration on your part, absolutely.  Would having a few more GM on the voting team be helpful?  Sure.  But their team is also judging simultaneously every server at the same time to avoid other issues.  So they have to balance what they can do with how they would like to do things.  I have been to many of these and not won.  But they are run (for the most part) smoothly and I have fun looking at all the other costumes and maybe grabbing an idea or two for my next hero/villain.

• Like 1

• Arcanum pinned and unpinned this topic