I bought a level 35 Confuse IO for 2 influence

Sakai

Part of the problem with Confuse is the limited utility and the various downsides (you get no XP from enemies killed by other enemies).
And the fact that with side-switching enemies, it can actually make them DANGEROUS (there's a mission in First Ward where an enemy side-switches.  And if he does it while confused, he becomes an unstoppable killing machine THAT YOU ARE UNABLE TO AFFECT!)

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

One of Confuse's bigger issues is the "confusion" that it diminishes xp when it actually grants a disproportionate amount of xp in the player's favor.  See the section on "Confusion and Experience"

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Confuse_(Status_Effect)

Just tag a foe and you'll get rewarded at a rate > the proportion of damage you did.

No doubt the cheap price is simply a function of econ 101, there just aren't a lot of consumers for it (not many sets have a confuse) while the supply (drops) is plentiful.

• Like 2

Did they change the Confuse powers somewhere along the way?  I have vivid memories from Live of confusing clockwork and having them follow me around to attack other things.  Or did my brain make that up and should be added to the "please dispose" list?

As to the price for it and the other items mentioned I always assume thats a result of crafting and dumping. 

I sometimes worry about my plant controllers and doms having their seeds of confusion power nerfed because of how OP it feels.  Then I read people like some in this thread that for some reason seem to think confuse is so weak.  Thanks for helping keep it under the nerf radar.  😁  Heck, love the confuse power on my illusion controller too especially once it gets the contagious confusion proc.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:53 PM, Hyperstrike said:

And the fact that with side-switching enemies, it can actually make them DANGEROUS (there's a mission in First Ward where an enemy side-switches.  And if he does it while confused, he becomes an unstoppable killing machine THAT YOU ARE UNABLE TO AFFECT!)

Should probably post that in the bug forum.  If nothing else those rare few specific enemies in the game that do that could just be made immune to confuse (mag 100 confuse protection seems like an easy fix).  

• 4 weeks later

I won't dip back into the debate about the value of Confuse powers and how to optimly slot them, but the limited value of Confuse pieces on the market should be pretty obvious:

• Relatively few ATs get Confuse powers, so not many character builds can even use such enhancements
  • I suppose it is possible to take more than two confuse powers on certain builds, but I stop after a ST and a (PB)AoE.
  • Epic Pool power confuses (like World of Confusion) are trash no matter the slotting
  • The set bonuses from Confuse pieces aren't that great, and generally the most useful bonuses require 5- (or 6-) slotting

I'm surprised that there were any for sale!

I love Confuse powers.  I don't care if they are efficient or optimal; they are fun!

The IO sets do need an overhaul though, just like all non-hold, non-knockback mez sets need an overhaul.  There's simply no reason to slot anything other than Malaise or the purples.  To @tidge's point, I don't know why anyone bothers to sell them in IO form.  That said, sometimes I'll buy confuse recipes in large blocks for rare rouletting.

Who run Bartertown?

I have a very specific reason to slot the Cacophony %damage proc, and since it tangetially relates to the Market I'll mention it here: I prefer to slot (PB)AoE Confuse powers with both available %damage procs, because getting any damage on a mob gets you on the list for a potential drop.

I am well aware of some folks preference to avoid %damage on the PBAoE in an effort to avoid aggro, but: I'm always going to be swinging at enemies without caring about their particular confused state, and I want to have inflicted as much damage as possible. An enemy defeated by 100% damage from a confused (former) ally is depriving me of potential market madness!

My assumption about Common IOs on the market is that at least 90% of them were crafted for badge purposes.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, tidge said:

My assumption about Common IOs on the market is that at least 90% of them were crafted for badge purposes.

I have just 2 remaining badges and they are the high volume ones.  I started to sell what I crafted but it was not worth the cost of space in the auction house so I started giving them away.  Even broadcasting free Common IOs, it was still hard to unload them.  I deleted a lot of lower level IOs.  The 50s I sold but at a loss.  I got what I wanted in badges.  I still have to craft 1300 more to get the remaing 2 badges.