I have a serious alt problem

BelleSorciere

Invulnerability/Dark Melee Tanker.  You just won't die.  Ever.  Well, unless you try to solo Hamidon or something.  Good luck with that if you do.

Ice Blast/Radiation Emission Corruptor.  Do you want to hit hard *and* debuff hard?  Here you go.  It's my solo GMs go to.

Speaking of debuffs.  Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor.  Do you like debuffs?  'Cause it's got debuffs.  AVs and GMs will just melt like butter.

Thugs/Time Manipulation Mastermind.  Three words: Permanent Gang War.  It's so beautiful.

Claws/Energy Aura Scrapper.  Strong and pretty.

Kinetic Melee/Energy Aura Stalker.  You can't see me hit you like a truck.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bio armor pairs nicely with a bunch of things and is a solid set.  My fav has been my dark melee / bio armor scrapper.

Demon/Dark MM was fun.

Elec melee/rad armor stalker solid AoE stalker.

Illusion/Storm controller... oh the chaos.

I'm biased but Nrg/Nrg blaster ... good fun solid single target destroyer

• Thanks 1

Illusion/Rad Controller - Slow going early on, but once you get Phantom Army, you will be a soloing machine! Rad gives some great debuffs, a heal, and Fallout rocks the house if you're teaming and a teammate falls during a big fight.

Dual Pistols/Martial Combat Blaster - If you like Hong Kong action flicks (and even if you don't), you will be a walking one with this. Use Ki-Push, then shoot! 

Electric/Shield Stalker - You'll get just as much of a charge out of it as your enemies will!

Bots/Dark MM - End heavy, but you're a walking army with great weapons and team stealth and healing.  /Dark also pairs well with Mercs and Thugs because the Medic and Arsonist quite frankly suck at staying alive (ie usually the first to die), and the Medic doesn't always heal when he should.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BelleSorciere said:

I only have thirty characters so far. What's good to play, and can I get 20 more characters out of this thread?

So I had all my character slots filled back before the sunset. 150 or so characters.

There is no real need to rush to fill your character slots (at 1000 per server, it would be quite a task)

When alting, the real thing is ...

1) Do I have a sudden urge to make a certain character based on some character conception for one reason or another? (and create the character based on that conception either pre-existing or suddenly created in my mind for some reason)

2) Do I have a sudden urge to make a new character for a server for some reason? (and then figure it out; example deciding a need a mix of archetypes on a server and something is obviously missing)

3) Is there some archetype that I haven't played before? (what character conceptions do I have that will fit the archetype or what kind of character conception might fit that archetype)

4) Is there some set that I haven't played before? 

My main reason for making Alts is that I like to create alts. I like creating character conceptions.

I'm not simply making characters to be making characters. I'm making characters with a conception of what makes the different than my other characters.

The reason for this is to not only make the character different to play based on the traits of the character in the game, but how I approach the game through the way that I think that character would interact with the world.

This may or may not make sense.

I guess my point is, you will know when to alt out.

Don't push yourself to alt out.

When the spark hits you, then it is time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Yeah, I started playing in May 2004 until sunset. I only had about 30 or so characters on my primary server (Champion) and a couple dozen more on Freedom and Virtue. The main thing know is I don't know the new synergies very well, although I enjoy the characters I've made so far. The thing is I also just like making characters so I always have something to level up.

On live the characters I played most were dark/dark scrapper and defender, ice/energy blaster, two Peacebringers, ice/stone tanker, spines/regen scrapper, SS/inv and SS/WP brutes, fire/dark brute and corruptor, necro/dark and bots/storm masterminds, a fortunata/night widow, and a fire/kin controller. And many others I didn't get past 22. I don't expect to get everything to 50 but sometimes something new grabs my attention. 

I do appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Edited by BelleSorciere

45 minutes ago, BelleSorciere said:

Yeah, I started playing in May 2004 until sunset. I only had about 30 or so characters on my primary server (Champion) and a couple dozen more on Freedom and Virtue. 

Oh, you ran multiple accounts before the sunset?

I was on the all servers, but I only had the one account.

The main thing know is I don't know the new synergies very well

For sure, someone else would have to answer that one.

I'm not to concerned with mini-maxing. (As a player of the original Champions RPG (table top game I guess is the new lingo), I've done my share of mini-maxing. And this is another story all together, so I shall stop other than to say I loved making Champions characters at the same level that I love making City of Heroes characters)

I'm more concerned with the power sets and power selection related to my character conception.

If  you are scared of the feel of trying stuff out and then deleting the character if it doesn't pan out, then using the beta is a good testing ground. That gets wiped periodically. You know it is going to happen. You know it isn't the "real" game, so it take some of the sting out of it.

The thing is I also just like making characters so I always have something to level up.

I call it the "ding" factor. Everyone wants to "ding". The "ding" is a reward experience for accomplishing things.

This is one of the reasons that I'm against power leveling. It takes away some of the enjoyment of the "ding" that helps add a reward feeling related to playing a characters.

I tend to have more fun playing the mid levels. Not simply for the "ding" factor but because of the missions and the kind of players that love going through the leveling experience.

People can play however they want to play and that's fine, but this is where I find the most enjoyment in the game.

but sometimes something new grabs my attention. 

And that's my point.

When it grabs your attention, that's the best time to create an alt as far as I'm concerned.

One of the last characters I made was a dual pistol/martial arts blaster because of the martial arts secondary for Blaster is so wire-fu. It has bullet-time feel to it without changing the rate of the game for anyone else.

How did I stumble upon this? I was beta testing the different sets.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I've been wringing a lot of new alts out of the single concept of alternate-dimension versions of the same person. It started as a throwaway "never meet your alternate self" line in my dimension-hopping staff/elec stalker, and now it's expanded into an entire mythology.

Every character needs to have some combination of either electric powers or some energy-based powers that represent warping spacetime (I have grav, time, and psi-melee allowed in that category so far, and probably energy aura if I need a new armor set), and some sort of martial, weapon or tech secondary.

I'm not allowing any repeats of powersets, and they can't double down with full elec/energy, or full tech/martial-- it has to be one of both categories.

I've squeezed 10 alts out of that concept so far, and have a couple new ideas percolating now.

I also squeezed 13 alts out of the idea of a secret society of ancient mages. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Oh, you ran multiple accounts before the sunset?

I was on the all servers, but I only had the one account.

I had one account and purchased lots of character slots. I think some character slots were also part of the monthly sub or some other reward.

When I said synergies, I didn't really mean minimaxing. I meant powersets that are fun to combine. Sometimes that involves minimaxing, sometimes it does not. Like the Dual Pistol/Martial Combat suggestion is great because it's thematic and because if you give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. You give him two and he thinks he's God*.

What I meant about "always having something to level up" is basically novelty value and having more options. Also the ability to do stuff with people on a variety of characters, even if only eventually.

I love creating new characters as a general rule. Concepts are easy once I know what powers and origin I want or even a specific look. 

* John Woo's Hardboiled

5 hours ago, Runewritten said:

I've been wringing a lot of new alts out of the single concept of alternate-dimension versions of the same person. It started as a throwaway "never meet your alternate self" line in my dimension-hopping staff/elec stalker, and now it's expanded into an entire mythology.

Every character needs to have some combination of either electric powers or some energy-based powers that represent warping spacetime (I have grav, time, and psi-melee allowed in that category so far, and probably energy aura if I need a new armor set), and some sort of martial, weapon or tech secondary.

I'm not allowing any repeats of powersets, and they can't double down with full elec/energy, or full tech/martial-- it has to be one of both categories.

I've squeezed 10 alts out of that concept so far, and have a couple new ideas percolating now.

I also squeezed 13 alts out of the idea of a secret society of ancient mages. 

I've created Praetorian versions of a few of my favorite characters, which I also did during Live. It's a fun way to shake up a character concept (Dark/Dark Scrapper to Fire/Dark Brute for example, or Dark/Dark Defender to Dark/Dark Controller were the two I played the most on live). To say I endorse such an approach would be an understatement. 🙂

On 12/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, BelleSorciere said:

I only have thirty characters so far. What's good to play, and can I get 20 more characters out of this thread?

I thought the problem was going to be you used up 1000 character slots. 

• Haha 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

If you want/need more alts, there's a really easy way to get more:

Give yourself a "One of everything!" challenge.

I did this on live, with a "One of each control set to 50," for instance. You can also do "Every something/whatever goes with it," or "Stick to a theme" (Everything ice/cold, for instance - Ice troller, Ice blaster, Cold assault dom, etc.)

You'll end up with *plenty* of alts at the end of that.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

9 minutes ago, Greycat said:

If you want/need more alts, there's a really easy way to get more:

Give yourself a "One of everything!" challenge.

I did this on live, with a "One of each control set to 50," for instance. You can also do "Every something/whatever goes with it," or "Stick to a theme" (Everything ice/cold, for instance - Ice troller, Ice blaster, Cold assault dom, etc.)

You'll end up with *plenty* of alts at the end of that.

This is good! I'm mostly running into which sets do I want to play now.

Just started a DP/MC blaster, and it's pretty great.

• Like 2

• 2 months later

Try an ice/Nature controller. Get Arctic Air. Get Entangling Aura. Get the PBAOE stun dark power for your patron power pool. Walk yourself up into a group of enemies.  Make some tea. Eat a crumpet. Watch as your team destroy the group you've completely controlled just by standing near them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later