Illusion Control for Dominators

But cant we pretend that the current controls you have are illusionary?

You can if you like, but I'd like to have the mechanical functions of Illusion Control as a Dominator.

mind control is actually a thing

there are confusion powers in there

confusion can be your own phantoms in the enemy group

color your psychic attacks different and say it's an illusionary strike

i once saw a fire/fire dom whose entire gimmick was that he was making people seem like they were burning alive, he still used his attacks but pretended that he wasn't actually hitting people so much as they tore themselves apart

my dominator doesn't use ghosts from darkness in-character

my Earth Dom uses magical light constructs on people

there's plenty of ways to play pretend in CoH, the only limit is yourself

Right, but I'm talking about the mechanical functions of Illusion Control, not the concept of it.

Illusion already has been around though, why fight for that when we can get Clown Summoning?

it's only fair that illusion is proliferated to doms, after all it is the last blueside exclusive powerset other than khelds

You can if you like, but I'd like to have the mechanical functions of Illusion Control as a Dominator.

You mean the mechanical functions of a set where only three powers gain any sort of benefit from the Dominator's inherent power?

One would think that in their mass proliferation of powers, the developers would have considered this and done it already had they a mind to.  Unless there's another explanation?

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

For Dominators to get Illusion Control, Phantom Army has to be replaced with something else for the Dominator version of Illusion Control. PA is already OP in the hands of Controllers. Dominators would be broken with 3 invulnerable, on-demand, pocket tanks. And considering how much recharge Dom's are incentivized to acquire, they'd often have perma-PA.

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

it's only fair that illusion is proliferated to doms, after all it is the last blueside exclusive powerset other than khelds

Side note, do they let you just make a kheld / Veat on the opposite side now?

No, but with travel powers at level 1 for HEAT's, and a little running and luck on VEAT's, you can get to Pocket D at level 1, talk to Null, and swap over.

Death is the best debuff.

You mean the mechanical functions of a set where only three powers gain any sort of benefit from the Dominator's inherent power?

One would think that in their mass proliferation of powers, the developers would have considered this and done it already had they a mind to.  Unless there's another explanation?

I remember a dev saying once that if Illusion Control was ever going to be available to a Villain AT, it would be redone and given to Masterminds, but even that was more work than they were normally okay doing to proliferate a set.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

For Dominators to get Illusion Control, Phantom Army has to be replaced with something else for the Dominator version of Illusion Control. PA is already OP in the hands of Controllers. Dominators would be broken with 3 invulnerable, on-demand, pocket tanks. And considering how much recharge Dom's are incentivized to acquire, they'd often have perma-PA.

BUT BUT BUT allegedly, Controllers do more damage than Dominators anyway due to their debuffs!

No, give Dominators Illusion Control. It would have been nice if Plant Control had never been proliferated to Controllers, so that there was parity between the Control ATs. Alas it was, so let's port Illusion Control to Dominators. If the lack of Domination-affected powers is a problem, remove Spectral Wounds and Group Invisibility with an Immob and a Stun. Boom, now it has 5 powers affected by Domination, the same as many other Control sets.

• 2 weeks later

Illusion would be terrible for Dominators.

Dominators rely on Hard Controls to shut the enemy down and stop it from attacking so they can wade into melee range and beat all of their foes with brutal efficiency.

Superior Invisibility and Group Invisibility don't impact that at all. In fact they're ways of avoiding combat, rather than engaging in it. Spectral Wounds? Dominators already have ranged attacks.

And then you get to the pets which are largely aggro-control for a form of soft-control, forcing the enemy to waste time pounding on decoys that you can still pull aggro off of in some cases.

There's also the Domination effect being useless for several powers (And only marginally useful for Phantom Army)

Honestly? I'd rather see Masterminds get Illusion Control as a primary than Dominators.

Illusion would be terrible for Dominators.

Dominators rely on Hard Controls to shut the enemy down and stop it from attacking so they can wade into melee range and beat all of their foes with brutal efficiency.

Superior Invisibility and Group Invisibility don't impact that at all. In fact they're ways of avoiding combat, rather than engaging in it. Spectral Wounds? Dominators already have ranged attacks.

And then you get to the pets which are largely aggro-control for a form of soft-control, forcing the enemy to waste time pounding on decoys that you can still pull aggro off of in some cases.

There's also the Domination effect being useless for several powers (And only marginally useful for Phantom Army)

Honestly? I'd rather see Masterminds get Illusion Control as a primary than Dominators.

mostly bunk

however:

Probably the most competent reason given for why Illusion isn't given to Doms. Can I make a quick reply point?

WHO CARES ANYMORE?

It's not a monthly game. It's not subscribed to. Who CARES honestly who cares? It's the only set that isn't available to everyone. Let's bite the bullet and send it on as is. No one, and I mean NO ONE is going to suddenly find that they are bumped from Task Forces because a Villainous toon shows up with perma Phantom Army. PA on an 8 man task force? That's not aggro control, that's annoying the tank/brute that is doing actual aggro control.

As for "Dom's use hard control to survive". How do you play a Dom? I play Brute or Dom nearly exclusively. I take a single target hard hold, eschew ALL immobiles, bypass the ridiculous rechrg of the AoE hold and I take the pet and w/e soft control I have like Psi is fear and sleep or Ice is ice slick, mass sleep, etc. I then go in and kill things. I don't see how a dom is going to have any trouble what so ever with phantom army being a thing, nor a team having issues with them beyond the KB.

Pass it over, it'll FotM for a second then off to the next toon XD

I remember a dev saying once that if Illusion Control was ever going to be available to a Villain AT, it would be redone and given to Masterminds, but even that was more work than they were normally okay doing to proliferate a set.

I remember this. They were going to make the Illusion stuff into minions. You were going to have Spectral Terror as a pet that followed you around and could be buffed. And Phantom Army was going to be your tier 1 pets.

Some of you guys are bizarrely against Illusion Control on Dominators and I don't understand it at all. Why shouldn't both of the ATs that use control sets have access to all control sets? If it has to be changed a bit for Dominators, that's not impossible.

I also don't think it's a huge deal if Illusion Control doesn't benefit from Domination that much. In Electric Control, Static Field doesn't benefit from Domination and its one of the key powers in the set.

We've already gotten a ton of things we never would have gotten on live for similar reasons to what you guys are suggesting here, so I don't really think any of that holds up. And yeah, this game is free, but they're clearly doing development on things like this. It isn't ridiculous to suggest something like porting a powerset over to a new AT.

Some of you guys are bizarrely against Illusion Control on Dominators and I don't understand it at all.

You must have missed the memo. The only ATs who are allowed to be mini-gods are Brutes, Scrappers and Tankers!

Jokes aside, people do tend to overreact. PA is only an issue if Perma'd, which requires heavy IO investment. Yet the game isn't supposed to be balanced around IO's correct?

If the player wants to deal with less-than-ideal Domination usage then let them.. Let them fight!

• 2 weeks later

Having played an Illusion/Kinetics up to 32, entirely on redside, I have to say, we definitely need to port Illusion Control to Dominators. Let's do something like what was done FOR Controllers to get them Darkness Affinity, where they changed two powers. Let's change two powers in Illusion Control to fit Dominators. Something like this:

T1) Spectral Shackles: Targeted AoE Immobilize (base 22.35 duration, recharge of 8s), centered on target, radius of 15. Returns some of the damage (psychic/crushing, base 15.51) as health after same time period as Spectral Wounds.

T2) Blind

T3) Deceive

T4) Flash

T5) Superior Invis

T6) Dizzying Images: Cone AoE Disorient/Stun (base 11.92 duration, recharge of 90s), Range of 50, arc of 60 degrees. Psychic damage (base of 13.21)

T7) Phantom Army

T8) Spectral Terror

T9) Phantasm

That modified Illusion Control set for Dominators would feature 5 powers that are affected by Domination, equal to Earth Control, Electric Control, Gravity Control, and Ice Control.

Trust me when I say that it hurts me for me to suggest taking out an LotG mule from a set. But if it meant I could play as an Illusion Control Dominator, so be it.