"Would you rather...?" Grav/Kin vs. Grav/Time

Vulpoid

Good morning!

I am thinking of creating a new controller, primarily to support teams.

Would you rather team with a Grav/Kin or a Grav/Time,  both would have team teleport and leadership toggles.

Any thoughts?

A fourth option to consider is /Poison. While I'm critical of Poison as a set, it's specific advantages on a character who possesses Wormhole can't be denied. One advantage of Poison is that because it mainly does debuffs, it stacks with pretty much any other set someone would bring. Main downside is lack of heal and endurance tools that can make melee range a bummer. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, Vulpoid said:

Good morning!

I am thinking of creating a new controller, primarily to support teams.

Would you rather team with a Grav/Kin or a Grav/Time,  both would have team teleport and leadership toggles.

Any thoughts?

I have a Grav/Kin, but my only immediate thought is in a different direction... no matter what secondary you take, I would reconsider taking Leadership toggles if taking those powers means that you would be sacrificing powers from the primary or secondary. anybody can dip into the Leadership pool, the Controller powers are far less widespread.

17 hours ago, tidge said:

I would reconsider taking Leadership toggles if taking those powers means that you would be sacrificing powers from the primary or secondary. anybody can dip into the Leadership pool,

Thanks @tidge!
Current thoughts are going with Grav/Kin and  skipping Crush, Dimension Shift, Repel and Inertial Reduction.
I was going to run Maneuvers and Tactics. 
What do you think? 

You should be fine. I haven't played my Grav/Kin is a long time. From memory, I skipped Lift and Dimensional Shift in the primary. From the secondary I skipped Repel and (somewhat foolishly, IMO) Increase Density... which is why I advise against making the same mistake I did! It's the sort of power that can make a big difference (especially if taken ASAP, and you play on a lot of teams). I definitely had Inertial Reduction... but part of my enjoyment of CoX is travel through the zones. YMMV. I think I used it to slot additional travel power sets.

I have nothing against Maneuvers and Tactics. I probably have Maneuvers in that build myself.  Grav/Kin is a classic combo with the opportunity for clever build choices around the edges... with respect to power choices more than just trying for 'caps'. I don't think my build was particularly clever, so let us know where you land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 5:08 AM, Vulpoid said:

Current thoughts are going with Grav/Kin and  skipping Crush, Dimension Shift, Repel and Inertial Reduction.
I was going to run Maneuvers and Tactics. 

I have recently re-spec'd my pre-existing grav/kin, as I now consider Repel, slotted with Sudden Acceleration KB->KD to be essential. 

• Thanks 1

I like grav/time, especially if it comes to soloing a controller. Thematically they work well for me, plus time has some powers that help your Singularity. Farsight for the defence and temporal selection for the +regen seeing as you can't heal it. You can throw spirit ward on it, if you are so inclined, to make it even more tanky. And yes, tanky is a word.

I need to get back to mine, I haven't played it for a while. So many alts, so little time (no pun intended).

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

My Grav/Kin is one of my favorite characters (and I have a lot!).  He looks good, he sounds good, he controls good, and kins good.  He really does everything and throws out respectable damage all by himself.  

I like Time but I don't think it synergizes as well as Kin does.  Gravity can pull a group right on top of you and your group, Fulcrum shift and all the other debuffs/buffs and then your group chews them to pieces.  Rinse, repeat, enjoy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Grav Kin, definitely. Once out in the advanced levels where people are chockful of IOs the benefits of Time dwindle but boosting damage and recharge are always welcome.

Definitely grab Maneuvers (the rest of the Leadership powers are not particularly useful) and the Sorcery pool for moar support.

Edited by Sovera